No audio file

ICE, Equipment, Options
Wag
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Wag »

gloucester wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 pm I'm flummoxed - if it plays the start I can't understand why it won't continue.
I know, it’s very frustrating. I can’t think why it would suddenly think it hasn’t got an audio file

Wag

Post by Wag »

MikeGC wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:01 am I was able to play Apple Music through the USB on my QQ (and previously on my Juke) and so I too am baffled by this problem.
The usual "use a genuine Apple cable" probably isn’t helpful, although it appears that (for some people) it’s the answer for CarPlay issues.

Can you play Apple Music via Bluetooth ?
I haven’t tried Apple Music but I did try Deezer through Bluetooth and it didn’t work
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

It generally comes down to 2 things you can do when logic fails:

Reset both stepwise to Factory settings. Start again and save iPhone data first

Steps:
1. Head Unit
2. iPhone
Last edited by calnorth on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Wag wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:48 am
MikeGC wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:01 am Can you play Apple Music via Bluetooth ?
I haven’t tried Apple Music but I did try Deezer through Bluetooth and it didn’t work
Being an old fogey I don’t know what a deezer is, unfortunately. I guess a music storage system.

Therefore I thought that if music didn’t play Apple Music by Bluetooth in the car it might narrow the search a little (i.e. it’s perhaps a problem with Apple Music or the iPhone rather than the Connect unit)

I play Apple Music on Bluetooth speakers at home regularly and it works seamlessly - so playing music via Bluetooth would assist me if I had the same problem.

That all assumes you are trying to play from Apple Music, of course.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Wag

Post by Wag »

MikeGC wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:01 am I was able to play Apple Music through the USB on my QQ (and previously on my Juke) and so I too am baffled by this problem.
The usual "use a genuine Apple cable" probably isn’t helpful, although it appears that (for some people) it’s the answer for CarPlay issues.

Can you play Apple Music via Bluetooth ?
No it doesn’t work through Bluetooth either. I can be playing music, connect the connection takes place and then I get silence! I have had it playing through USB for about 10 seconds and then silence ‘no audio file’. I can call, message using Siri, and Siri works through the speakers. It’s doing my head in!!
Would contacting Nissan be any use 😂👍
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I can’t recall how you check (it should be searchable on here) but do you have the current version of the Connect software installed ?
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Wag

Post by Wag »

Not sure m, I think the software is up to date but not 100%
Wag

Post by Wag »

F16A is the software version
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Wag wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:44 am F16A is the software version
F16A and related 037 hardware isn't relevant other than there has not been a need for upgrade since introduction circa 2017. What is relevant is that the Nissan Connect App was abandoned by Nissan at about the same time...it does not work.

I have a distinct feeling the USB Port profile (media) is seriously limited on these head units. I find USB stick size is limited to 8GB and it doesn't like my Kingston sticks at all..Sandisk to 8Gb is ok. I've never tried playing media (mp3) via Bluetooth or USB direct using a Smartphone but will try today. What i am saying is that the headunit Ports cannot handle Mass Storage devices adequately. And error messages from this thing are very poor.

UPDATE: (with an Android phone..in fact two)
Investigation and true enough audio might play once but the second time maybe and the third time not at all. It certainly charges a phone thru USB but not play audio.

What I do notice is that Bluetooth is very iffy as above, as regards playing audio. Phones out ok but seems to loose audio control quickly and muting both headunit and phone...what a mess.

Have reset to Factory Settings and cannot get phones recognised and paired. All have been Connected for the last 6 months. Have lost patience for the moment...need beer. Will be back.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

calnorth wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:09 am
Wag wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:44 am F16A is the software version
F16A and related 037 hardware isn't relevant other than there has not been a need for upgrade since introduction circa 2017. What is relevant is that the Nissan Connect App was abandoned by Nissan at about the same time...it does not work.

I have a distinct feeling the USB Port profile (media) is seriously limited on these head units. I find USB stick size is limited to 8GB and it doesn't like my Kingston sticks at all..Sandisk to 8Gb is ok. I've never tried playing media (mp3) via Bluetooth or USB direct using a Smartphone but will try today. What i am saying is that the headunit Ports cannot handle Mass Storage devices adequately. And error messages from this thing are very poor.

UPDATE: (with an Android phone..in fact two)
Investigation and true enough audio might play once but the second time maybe and the third time not at all. It certainly charges a phone thru USB but not play audio.

What I do notice is that Bluetooth is very iffy as above, as regards playing audio. Phones out ok but seems to loose audio control quickly and muting both headunit and phone...what a mess.

Have reset to Factory Settings and cannot get phones recognised and paired. All have been Connected for the last 6 months. Have lost patience for the moment...need beer. Will be back.
UPDATE

My Procedure. Using Android 8.1 (Oreo) phones *3. Oreo is 2017 vintage
Reset the Headunit to Factory Settings in the System Menu. Wait for completion.
Ensure Bluetooth in Headunit is ON
Set phone to search for a Bluetooth device "available"....takes too long. So:

Select to pair a phone on the Headunit....seems to get the recognition of a Bluetooth device "available" on the phone. Headunit wake up?
Pair phone to Headunit and audio returns....reliably. Streaming and functions worked consistently.
Ensure phone Contacts loaded and Audio settings done...again!

My conclusion is that the Bluetooth profiles corrupts over time and particularly the profile for audio data handling (A2DP) . Known as streaming audio.
I suspect the audio streaming problem may happen either on the phone or Headunit during general use? Audio streaming play/stop control appears ok and is another profile type.

Upshot is that if it happens again first delete paired phone from Headunit and pair again. If audio streaming fails again reset the Headunit to Factory Settings and ultimately reset the phone. Save phone data first.

I've not done this before as I thought it to be a hassle (in waiting). I simply use a USB stick which is a major hassle of its own....see above. But doesn't corrupt functions as Bluetooth likes to do.

Hope this might help?

Added Note...The above paired and played via two Android phones correctly...
I tried with a 3rd Android phone a day later....pairing ok after a too long "available" wait sequence. Fails audio streaming though.

I'd say we are dealing with much junk in this Bluetooth game. Nokia was my Goto for BT..others like Sony Ericcson were very "iffy"

Connect 3 headunits are installed from 2017 in QQ vehicles AFAIK, which won't necessarily mean that the Bluetooth implementation is of that year. And to date Connect 3 has not been firmware (drivers various) updated. Might explain the very "iffy" behaviour?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta