Second battery? Suspected alternator fault?

ICE, Equipment, Options
Lucas123
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Lucas123 »

Hello everyone, hope someone can help me please.

I have a 2016 nissan QQ and In January 21 I was suffering with a dead battery so bought a brand new Bosch one and have had no issues since, until this morning...

I started my QQ as normal and noticed the battery check light illuminated red and then system fault throw up on display with auto stop start and emergency brake assist fault. I have checked voltage on battery and stationary it is producing 12.1v and with ignition running approx 10.5v to 11v.

My assumption is a faulty alternator not supporting the battery but before I go and condemn it I wanted someone else's opinion?

would a low voltage battery throw up a system fault for emergency brake and auto stop start also?

Thanks for any help.
Luke

mrugby
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by mrugby »

Good evening Lucas,
Are you able to start the engine ?
If so a multi meter test should show a voltage across the battery when the engine is running of around 14 to 14. 5 voilts give or take. This will show if the alternator is charging.
The static reading you are getting of 12.1v is a little low but certainly not too bad and the ignition 'on' reading will be taking into account the ancillary components that are running in the background. There may be a lower voltage limit by which the cars ecu computer shuts down or plays up but i am not sure about this.
You may already be aware that various models of qashqai's have different shut down waiting times and procedures before the battery drain voltage is classed as minimal and can be accurately measured for it's no load reading as if the battery has been disconnected ( which is the most accurate no load method)
Car battery's are strange beasts and sometimes need a simulated load before they tell you they are faulty. Garage testers simulate this condition to give you a more accurate reading of performance. My friend has just purchased one of these and it does an automatic cycle to tell you the condition it is in when under load.
Best of luck,
mrugby
mrugby
Lucas123

Post by Lucas123 »

Hello, many thanks for your reply. I don't have a multimeter on hand but instead used the Nissan connect system status which gives you a live reading of voltage power. I have noticed that when driving (thankfully at the moment it still starts) it drops to around 10.5v and 11v and does not go anywhere near 13v or 14v at any point.

I'm going to condemn the alternator and get a new one and get it fitted and see what happens, I can't see it being anything to do with the battery as of yet but only a matter of time if I continue with the problem.

Hopefully it is just the alternator and not anything underlying.

Thanks again for your help!
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Any fault codes?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Lucas123

Post by Lucas123 »

I have three fault codes

P1453
P2503
C3F03
Lucas123

Post by Lucas123 »

Just had a google of them fault codes and it would seem p2503 charging system voltage is low and link to pcm???

Anyone any ideas?
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

P1453 is a DPF fault: (Pressure Sensor)
P2504 (not 03) is a charging system fault detected by ECU monitoring. Alternator/Control Module/Cabling
C3F03 - Unknown

DTC Nos can vary by engine type.

SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
• IPDM E/R sends alternator voltage request signal to ECM via CAN communication.
• ECM transmits alternator voltage request signal to alternator via LIN communication.
• Control module inside alternator controls the power generation voltage based on the received alternator voltage request signal.
• Alternator includes a self-diagnosis function and transmits the diagnosis result to ECM via LIN communication when detecting any malfunction.
• Charge warning lamp turns ON when any of the following symptom occurs while ignition switch is ON. As Follows:

- Excessive voltage is produced.
- No voltage is produced.
- High voltage is detected from battery positive terminal.
- The communication between alternator and ECM is not available.

Where certain sensing e.g Battery Current out of spec is detected... the system will initiate FAIL SAFE modes and disable Start/Stop. Not sure of all such incidents but the system attempts to reduce unnecessary demand on the battery (power system).
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Lucas123

Post by Lucas123 »

Thanks for everyone's help and support. I have changed the alternator and it has sorted my problem. Must admit it wasn't easy trying to get this sorted, multiple obstacles, one being obtaining a alternator and then trying to get it fitted but ti's there.

Thanks again guys.