Poor Poor Tom Tom

ICE, Equipment, Options
mrugby
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by mrugby »

My late 2020 qashqai has just completed it's first long proper journey in anger that required map data.
I updated the maps via wifi ( 16 minutes ) to their latest version prior to the journey and off we set.
Now, I have been a Tom Tom fan for many years, starting with a mini PC version from Aldi in their very early days of existence through to dedicated stand alone units which have guided me around many countries over the years.
This Qashqai map system just does not tick the boxes for me i'm afraid.
The incorrect given commands, the incorrect pronunciation of road numbers, the poor visibility of vital data graphics because they are "way over there" on the left that requires a "stare" instead of a "glance" was quite frustrating and disappointing.
The worst part was the lag. You had to commit to an exit before you had received instruction to do so and the display would read 50 yards to go as you were making your maneuver.
Swapping to apple car play and android auto improved things but I was really hoping Nissan s TomTom would deliver, but it did not.
What a shame !!!!!!
Is there anything we can do to improve it's accuracy ? I have played around for hours changing this and that and eventually ended up returning everything to default. It does look like the apple and android apps are going to be my preferred choice.
What has been your experience on this newer version ? Any tips ?
mrugby.

Pandjh

Post by Pandjh »

Can't say I disagree, the inbuilt nav is way down the list for me. I use Waze almost entirely via Android Auto but would also choose CarPlay and Google maps over the cars nav. I tried Tom Tom AmiGo too but was unimpressed. For me it simply has to include live traffic and tbh, Waze is the benchmark.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

I fully agree as well. Android Auto and / or Apple Carplay should be fully integrated in 2021 cars infotainment systems. Google automotive is going to take over anyway. But still, in the mean time an alternative like TomTom may still be needed for the places where radio signals from select providers are not available. But for those smartphone mirroring would be far better than anything like builtin Garmin, tomtom...
mrugby

Post by mrugby »

Never used Waze before. What do you like about it ?

mrugby
Pandjh

Post by Pandjh »

Its accuracy re journey ETA, the realtime warnings of traffic issues reported by other drivers and ease of use.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

In countries with an abundance of speedcams and trajectory speed controls you truly need Waze unless you are Bill Gates!
TomTom otoh won't help you much... It won't alert you in case there are mobile controls, daily trajectory changes etc. Tomtom has become useless since traffic and roads (blocks)and and speeds may change on a daily basis in Europe.
The old continent is nagging drivers each and every day.
Waze helps me to survive.
lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

Here the same. Even if I do like the UX of the on board TomTom. The instructions are very precise and clear.
Otherwise I use Waze for up to date radar info, controls and objects on the road. However I'm not very fond of the driving instructions. Especially on complicated highway intersections you really have to make sure you understand the directions correctly. I'm also a great fan of Apple maps and since a couple of weeks it also has radar alerts.
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS