Qashqai car Tomtom 2020/21 v Tomtom go 510 portable 2017

ICE, Equipment, Options
mrugby
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by mrugby »

A previous post by myself about the current version of tom tom 2020-21 suggested I aint too impressed with the map layout and map lag at roundabouts and junctions including irregular moving map issues.

For a laugh, I decided to set up my old tom tom go 510 portable device purchased around 2017 and run it simultaneously with the cars built in tom tom system. I haven't used this for years and as it included lifetime maps and speed cameras i made sure it was bang up to date before the comparison.
My car system was also up to date with a software version of 0804 and a map version of 15041-0-2.

My first observation was the amount of extra menu adjustments on the old tom tom, numerous voice choices , instead of just male and female on the car version, different choices of map layouts and theme colors, automatic zoom at junctions of the entire map compared to a cluttered split screen in black on the car version. Even the voice choices could be of different nationalities and with varying reading speeds. I noted the car system has a variable read speed adjustment sliding scale.

The main thing I liked however and had forgotten about, was how easy to read the map was when having the unit situated on the windscreen almost in the line of site when compared to having to glance over and down to the center of the dashboard on the car.The map detail on the 510 seemed to have a larger font even though it is a 5 inch screen compared to the car.

One big plus on the old unit was the clarity and speech intelligibility of commands. The car version often joins letters and numbers as one sentence without a pause and is often heard as a blurred command. This should not be the case in 2021 with the technology we have surely.
An example would be " turn left onto the A 472" that is spoken as " turn left onto the A fafa 472", and when the voice tries to pronounce Welsh names in my naked tongue it's even more hilarious, but I will forgive her for that.

My biggest gripe on the car system is the lag in commands when about to leave roundabout junctions. The old version wiped the floor with the cars system by always announcing commands on time,
On the tom tom 510 it states "leave at the next exit" with the correct amount of time to prepare whereas the car tells me as i am almost past the junction that I want, I find this really frustrating and I don't know why it happens. Any ideas ?
One advantage on the car system was the inclusion of road numbers in the dialogue while the old 510 just states turn left or right or straight on etc. The 510 links to traffic issues via your mobile which is similar to the car.

So in conjunction with her who must be obeyed, we unanimously voted for the 510 as being better to use while the car system had the edge on one or two situations, but having cables running along the dashboard on the 510 was a no no compared to the neatness of an all in one car system.

My overall feeling was that our new car tom tom version has things to learn from our old portable 510, which never set the world alight itself when it was introduced into the market but it worked.
Any comments of your own such experiments would be interesting.
What about Garmin sat nav products are they any better than tom tom ?
These days it seems to be android auto and apple carplay as the main alternatives for satellite navigation.

On a side note and in relation to Longitude and Latitude in the 17 hundreds, have a look on the tube about the inventor of the Longitude Maritime clock.... the one and only Mr John Harrison.... what an inventor and what a life story....he changed navigation and the world forever especially at sea, building wooden clocks with an accuracy of seconds.
Absolutely remarkable, but stitched up by the Hierarchy.

Navigate safely,
mrugby

Pandjh
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Pandjh »

Well I can safely say that the in-car satnav easily beats the old Navman units I used to have, the best bit being not having to flaff about with power leads.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)