LED Headlights on Tekna

ICE, Equipment, Options
Jhare

Post by Jhare »

Has anyone experienced the problem I seem to have with the LED headlights on the Tekna seeming to be set too high on dipped beam? They are self-levelling, but I seem to be getting a lot of oncoming drivers flashing their main beam at me as they approach. There doesn't appear to be a way of me altering the height myself unless I'm missing something obvious. The auto dipping system is working, but as an experiment, this morning I left the lights on manual dipped beam and still got the flash from oncoming drivers.
2014 Tekna 1.2 DIG-T in Magnetic Red

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I have been flashed only a couple of times but I suspect these people are "warriors of the road" who flash and honk if you dare overtake then on a perfectly long stretch of road because they are doing 35 in a 60.... other than that, nobody has batted an eyelid over my LED's, even on dark roads late at night.If you have another car to compare, you could always park you car facing a wall and mark where your beam hits, then do the same with the other car (in the same spot) and again mark it. If its significantly higher then there maybe an issue that you need to seek the advise of your dealer.
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

Not had a problem with my LEDs at night yet and yes the auto dipping appears to work well
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
ukwebb

Post by ukwebb »

might be worth checking, it only takes a few minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oz5ynBlx7kbasically drive close to a wall, mark the light point centers, reverse straight back 25ft, check the light pattern is below the center point
English by Nature, Yorkshire by the Grace of God
Qashqai 2014 1.6dci CVT Tekna Magnetic Red - ordered April Born Oct 15th 2014
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Its not a problem with the self levelling headlights, its just that led lights produce a stronger, cleaner, brighter, whiter light than conventionsl bulbs.
Ive got a 14 year old Renault Megane with halogen bulbs and compared it to my QQ. The spread pattern is flatter on the QQ, but no higher to oncoming traffic, but the QQ led's pick up street signs etc at a distance of at least twice that of the halogens.
Eziv2730

Post by Eziv2730 »

[quote="Jhare"]Has anyone experienced the problem I seem to have with the LED headlights on the Tekna seeming to be set too high on dipped beam? They are self-levelling, but I seem to be getting a lot of oncoming drivers flashing their main beam at me as they approach. There doesn't appear to be a way of me altering the height myself unless I'm missing something obvious. The auto dipping system is working, but as an experiment, this morning I left the lights on manual dipped beam and still got the flash from oncoming drivers.[/QUOTE]
It is great you started this topic. I also had the same thing on my original Qashqai which got replaced recently. I can tell you for a fact that on this new Qashqai the headlights are indeed set lower. Thanks to that I don't get flashes from oncoming drivers.
White J11 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 CVT
Eziv2730

Post by Eziv2730 »

[quote="gvmdaddy"]Its not a problem with the self levelling headlights, its just that led lights produce a stronger, cleaner, brighter, whiter light than conventionsl bulbs.Ive got a 14 year old Renault Megane with halogen bulbs and compared it to my QQ. The spread pattern is flatter on the QQ, but no higher to oncoming traffic, but the QQ led's pick up street signs etc at a distance of at least twice that of the halogens. [/QUOTE]
Well if there wasn't a problem with the levelling, then why are they set lower on my new Qashqai?
White J11 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 CVT
Jhare

Post by Jhare »

Thanks for the replies. I'm happy that I haven't missed any obvious manual adjustment. I will try that method of checking as described on the YouTube video link posted by ukwebb. There's a suitable wall in the works carpark. If there appears to be a misalignment I will get in touch with my dealer. I feel there must be. Nearly every driver is flashing me. I thought at first the auto dipping system was not working and switched to manual, but got the same indication from drivers. If the lights are wrong, I apologise to all the drivers I've dazzled in the Dearne Valley over the past few days!Jhare2014-10-07 17:31:02
2014 Tekna 1.2 DIG-T in Magnetic Red
ukwebb

Post by ukwebb »

may be they're flashing at you saying how nice your car is I get mine next week and I'll be checking the lights too - always do with every car, just part of normal car checks for me - tyres, windscreen wash, water and oil levels, lights front and back. too many people rely on the sensors instead of actually checking the thing from time to timeIf they flash you and you know that your lights are right - flash them back to prove that they are dipped!!
English by Nature, Yorkshire by the Grace of God
Qashqai 2014 1.6dci CVT Tekna Magnetic Red - ordered April Born Oct 15th 2014
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

ukwebb, I like your last comment!