Window on back of Tekna rear view mirror

ICE, Equipment, Options
DaveL

Post by DaveL »

Hi Guys.I have a new QQ Tekna and so far, it's brilliant! I love to go out in it just to enjoy driving it. On the back of the rear view mirror on the passenger side, there's a small square white plastic window (RHD version, UK).Does anyone know what this window is for? I've tried covering it both daytime and night-time, using auto-dip headlamps and it doesn't seem to affect anything. I'd like to know what its purpose is, because a project I have might block it off, but to what effect?Help appreciated.Cheers. DaveL

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Its the sensor for the auto dimmer on the mirror. Put your finger over it in daylight and you will slowly see it darken, hence at night it automatically darkens to prevent blinding from cars behind you. It can be switched off using the button on the front.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

gvmdaddy, thanks for that tip this kind of feedback is what the Forum is all about - Thanks again Dave ?Y‘?
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveL

Post by DaveL »

Great, thanks for the reply, gvmdaddy.Where it looks through the windscreen is the ideal spot to fit a dashcam and I've been concerned about what I might be blocking. A little darkening of the mirror will be OK, though.I asked Nissan about it and the first line people didn't know, and suggested I phoned round the dealers to pose the question. When I expressed strong doubt that they'd know and my own dealer didn't, they passed the query on to the technical guys a couple of months ago. Still no answer. You'd think the manufacturer would know what his various bits did LOL! The only toy I haven't tried on my Tekna is the auto parking. I lack the moral fibre to commit to a spinning steering wheel, LOL! Everything else is just brilliant.Regards. DaveL
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

[quote="gvmdaddy"]Its the sensor for the auto dimmer on the mirror. Put your finger over it in daylight and you will slowly see it darken, hence at night it automatically darkens to prevent blinding from cars behind you. It can be switched off using the button on the front. [/QUOTE]
It works the other way around. If it worked of by sensing "dark" then the light from the car behind would null the effect ;) It detects bright light from the rear of the car and "dims" the glass (well, its more of a green tint) when it detects a bright light from the rear. It does not dim it all the time either, only when needed. Although its not perfect, I had some numpty behind me this morning on the M61 with either his full beam on (with a bulb out), or a miss-aligned bulb on t'other. Dimming worked fine until he was a little too close to me, enough for the light to reflect of the mirror but not enough to hit the sensor fully this I ended up being blinded :(
DaveL

Post by DaveL »

I would have thought that any sensor that detects light from the rear of the car would be located on the FRONT of the rear view mirror - i.e. the side with the glass.The square white plastic "window" I'm on about is on the rear of the rearview mirror, that is, on the side that has no glass but is facing the inside of the windscreen. The "window" is on the passenger side of the swivel mounting for the mirror.On my mirror, there's a faint green glow from a small window below the mirror glass. I haven't worked out what that's for, either, but if I'm mounting a dashcam, it won't affect the little green lamp, but it will be stuck to the windscreen directly in front of the window in question on the rear of the mirror.thanks for the replies, guys. There are probably a couple more mirror mysteries yet to be revealed LOL!Cheers. DaveL
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

I was told by the sales person that the small green light below the mirror meant that the auto dimming was on. It is next to the on off switch.
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
Deleted User 759

oooo, I didn't realise there was another sensor on the other side! I thought you were talking on "the glass side".On the left there is a green light which indicates that the mirror dimming is operational, with an on/off switch followed by another similar "green light" shaped window which is the sensor that picks up the light coming from the rear of the car. It could well be then as gvmdaddy points out, a light sensor to detect day/night time which is then used in conjunction with the one that detects light from the rear to allow appropriate amount of tinting. I will have to check in the morning!
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

Gvmdaddy was absolutely correct with his original reply. The small white oblong fitted on the screen side (back) of the mirror, which you can't see from inside the car, but can see if you stand outside and look at it through the windscreen, is the ambient light sensor that tells the mirror if it needs to be watching out for numpties coming up behind you with misaligned headlights. Or not. So there.
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack
Deleted User 759

I felt behind the mirror this morning and indeed felt the little window that you are talking about. Interesting! I wonder how it works out what to do however when you have oncoming traffic, unless its "looking upwards" and shielded from forwards...