Window on back of Tekna rear view mirror

ICE, Equipment, Options
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Interesting how the window will work, I do not recall such a thing on my Skoda Yeti which had dimming interior and exterior mirrors. I was advised they are filled with a form of liquid crystal which reacts to light, it may be a different system on the QQ
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Is this then working in conjunction with the automatic headlights?Seems to be easily confused by tree shadows in bright sunlight. This isn't a new phenomena as the VW's i've had suffered the same but it's interesting to know how it all "glues" together.
Nissan no more...
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I think it would be separate to the auto head lights. I believe the box of tricks behind the mirror that's attached to the window has various sensors such as light rain and the sensor for emergency brake.... maybe!
DaveL

Post by DaveL »

Gymdaddy's description was correct. When the forward looking (through the front windscreen) sensor is covered when it's daylight, then the mirror dims.I
was so ticked off with Nissan Customer Service's fob-off suggestion to
phone round dealerships and ask, that I did just that and none were
interested, but there were some good theories, which I won't go into.After
biting Customer Service's leg, they passed the question to their
technical department, which never replied, so feeling aggrieved, I
raised it again in early December, by way of a complaint.This
provoked a telephone call to me and somewhere along the line, I said if
Nissan didn't know, maybe the readers of daily newspapers could offer
suggestions. Well, yesterday, after another prod to tell 'em I was
still waiting, another phonecall was received confirming exactly what
gymdaddy said. It senses ambient daylight through the windscreen and as
the level of daylight reduces, so the extent of mirror dimming
increases.Mounting my little Mini 0805 camera on the windscreen
has led to a small degree of dimming, I think, but there is sufficient
ambient light received by the sensor to retain a safe level of
reflection from the mirror.Thanks everyone who contributed; much appreciated.I'll
leave it until the New Year before asking them what the three note
chime means - it's a sort of cuckoo-plus, like cuck-oo-cuck and gives no
warning that I've seen and doesn't seem to relate to any significant
item on the road.Season's Greetings, all. Go safe. DaveL
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Sharp bend in road.
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

This looks very much like the sensor on my previous Audi and Mini Countryman. In which case it is the sensor for the auto lights. The mirror has a detector behind the glass. The green light is just an indicator that the mirror dimming is turned on and will be constantly lit it does not indicate activation of this system i.e. going on and off.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

The sensor on the back of the rear view mirror senses ambient light and darkens the mirror when the light level falls ie it goes dark. Further to this, the mirror can auto detect high beams approaching from behind and darken the mirror even further. The button to operate this feature is in the centre of the rear view mirror with the sensor for it to the right and the activation light (green) off to the left. This feature of auto dimming canbe turned on or off. I believe the sensor for the auto high beam/auto dipping is located in the widscreen, outward facing, and is part of the camera that detects road signs etc. I will check this in the next couple of days to confirm.
kinelfire

Post by kinelfire »

They must have brought back the auto dimming mirror then as it was done away with in the facelift previous models, - in those with privacy glass anyway if not all
Cafe Latte 2010 1.5 n-tec. then 2013 Black 1.5 360+2
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Always describe forward or back as if you are standing behind the car looking forwards. So the front of the mirror is the side nearest the windscreen.Right, having settled that, there are two sensors in the housing that is in front of the mirror and they both look out the front of the windscreen. Is it these we are talking about? If so, one will be the oncoming light sensor and the other will be the camera for roadside sign reading I believe. It could be that those two are combined in one and that the other is a rain sensor. That's what they do in some combination.Have not noticed a sensor on the front [back side if you like"]] of the mirror, but there might be I suppose, but that would point straight at the dark grey plastic housing that is stuck to the window with those forward facing sensors inside.
Quacker2014-12-15 13:02:10
aussiebob

Post by aussiebob »

I queried the same with my dealer before I installed my dashcam, and their tech also didn't know offhand. They did get back to me and said that it was only for the auto dimming mirror, and blocking it wouldn't affect anything else.In the end I ended up moving it a little further out because the RHS of the video was blocked out by the mirror mount anyway.Quacker, you can see it is the white square on the back of the mirror itself, not the other two sensors/cameras attached directly to the windscreen in the housing (which I was told are used for rain sensors, auto headlights and maybe the lane departure warnings (the tech wasn't sure)).