Draining battery

ICE, Equipment, Options
Johan_QQ

Post by Johan_QQ »

I live in the Cape Town area in South Africa. Minimum overnight temperatures are currently around 7-8C. I have the same problem with my J11 1.5dCi QQ: Sluggish start in the morning, seems better later in the day.

Attached is a foto of my car's battery. It is the same as fitted in the EU and Singapore that are apparently faulty. Looks like I'll have to argue with the dealer to get it replaced.

DSC_0194[1].JPG

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Good luck! Took me a while as I've noted. I've read that the problem was caused by a faulty batch of Fiamm batteries from early 2015 - I see yours appears to be April 2014, but it doesn't stop you asking them to replace it of course if it's failed.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
duncho

Post by duncho »

I think there was (is) problem on their production line (quality of used materials or configuration of robots welding poles inside the battery) rather than faulty batch. My car was produced early '14 and the battery failed after 10 months too.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
rstewart

Post by rstewart »

I have a 64 reg QQ 1.2 and have just started to get problems with the battery being drained, l have put the car back to the dealer they told me that it was the battery that was at fault and have replaced it under the warranty. l to have had the start/stop fault up on the dashboard but then it clears its self, the car was poor to start a couple of times maybe a week before the battery died. The car would jump start then a good run would charge the battery left the car for a week then started fine but if l switched the engine off and l got out of the car but didn't lock the doors for maybe up to 30mins the battery would go flat. told this to the dealer and they have told me that l should lock the doors all the time as the car is always searching for the key. l don't believe this could be the cause of draining the battery as when you press stop and get out of the car everything goes off .

can anyone advise please
Bob d

Post by Bob d »

There's no way that leaving the doors unlocked should result in the battery being drained in half an hour. If it has a capacity of say 70Ah then in simple terms fully charged it should cope with roughly (heating effects aside!) 140A for 30mins, that's probably the equivalent of switching on every electrical device in the car......headlamps, blower motors, heated screen, flashers etc etc. The current consumed by the security devices is minimal in the context of a car battery, don't forget you could leave it parked for many weeks and still come back and be able to start it. I should think there may even still be some people who tuck their car up in a garage and leave it unlocked for prolonged periods without problem. If the problem is occurring after your battery has been changed then it's one of four things, the replacement battery is no good, the car charging system isn't working properly, the connections to the battery/fuses etc are poor or there's a fault with the electrics, but the latter would be significant, a current draw that discharged the battery in such a small period would be making something somewhere very warm !!
J11 QQ N-Tec+ 1.5 DCi Magnetic Red
richard_crl032

Post by richard_crl032 »

I changed out the stock EFB battery from FIAMM after just 10 months with same situation with unusually high no. of owners with same ... local distro, Tan Chong, provides no question asked replacement probably due to released service bulletin these bad batch of battery.

However, the local used some FAMM unknown type for a few months including in my case that died again in 4 months and now ALL replacement battery are more expensive and advanced type AGM battery from FIAMM and we are monitoring.

Cheers,

Richard
Bennysdad

Post by Bennysdad »

My 14 plate QQ let me down last week with a flat battery. I had been stopped for an hour waiting for someone and was playing the radio so though that I might be to blame. Nissan recovery though the RAC arrived ten minutes after I called them. Technician plugged in his laptop, jump started the car and after a few minutes announced the battery was goosed. I asked for suggestions where to get a new battery and he announced that he had one in his van and he would fit it under Nissan warranty. Authorisation for same popped up on his laptop.
GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

This isnt filling me with confidence. I started a thread elswhere not having seen this, today my one year old QQ (9000mls) redused to start and showed a stop/start error. Couldnt operate door locks or anything. RAC attended and tested battery which was showing 7.5volts. He got it going okay and Ive given it a run to charge it up. Seems okay at present but on seeing this thread I went out to check and it is a Flamm battery. Its off to the dealer on Thursday to replace four corroded alloys so will raise the battery issue then.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

There are instances of RAC being authorised to swop failing batteries too.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Just took mine in for replacement alloys (three corroded at 1yr old). Showed them the RAC breakdown report from Saturday and they changed the battery under warranty, They also confirmed that the RAC should have done so at the roadside as they are authorised by Nissan to do so. Just checked and the new one is not a FLAMM battery so hopefully all will be well.