Draining battery

ICE, Equipment, Options
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

The Fiamms don't seem up to the job, lots have been replaced. Nice RAC man put a Bosch AGM battery in my QQ.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic

silverdave

Post by silverdave »

Hi I had my battery changed Monday it was a Fiamm battery 18 months old, called RAC within 90min new battery fitted under warrant.
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol Auto panaramic roof , Gun grey. Nissan spare wheel.
Front & rear skid plates
DIYDaddy
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by DIYDaddy »

I think I may have discovered why my QQ battery drains. The system takes a lot more current (about 3A) when the car is unlocked compared to when it is locked (about 0.3A). Even with the 80Ah battery that is fitted, 3A will drain it in a little over day. (0.3A is still quite a hefty standby current, and would drain the battery in a couple of weeks. Perhaps I have a fault.)

Have just ordered a new battery; perhaps I didn't need to. Just remember to lock the car as soon as possible.
duncho

Post by duncho »

That is way a lot, your car doesn't go to SLEEP MODE, which could be for several reasons. Correct current is 11-20mA when left idle (no matter car is lovked or unlocked). When locked it falls to SLEEP MODE after 5-7min. When unlocked it could be up to 15min.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
DIYDaddy

Post by DIYDaddy »

Update on the figures of my previous reply: when I went back to check the quiescent drain current of the locked vehicle it had dropped to 0.01 to 0.02A: a much better figure! I unlocked the car and the current went back up to about 2.5A. I then locked it back up and the current dropped to 0.3A for a few seconds, then down to 0.15A, then after several minutes, dropped to 0.01 to 0.02A
duncho

Post by duncho »

That is correct measure. You need to wait untill the car goes Sleep. Seems you have issue with battery charging. In case you use your car several times a day and on shorter distance or rarely and on short distance, than the battery is undercharged. If you look on the forum, I made a thread about this charging problem details.

DIYDaddy

Post by DIYDaddy »

Another update, taking duncho's comments on board: confirm the 2.5A unlocked quiescent current does indeed drop to 150mA or so after a while and then to 10 to 20mA after quarter of an hour or thereabouts. Another theory bites the dust! Let's see how the new battery behaves...
Thanks, duncho, for your informative help
duncho

Post by duncho »

No worries ;)

duncho

Post by duncho »

Nissan should fix their insufficiently designed Variable Voltage Charging system. It is proven by almost decade (7 years since first time implemented) that battery failure is on top of the failures list.

Even ADAC noted this on their list of most breakdown list: https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/unfall- ... 5X3xLE4HeE_

It is a mystery for me why Nissan ignores this issue...

image.png

image.png

Maverickuk2017
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Maverickuk2017 »

Had my new Qashqai 1.5 n-connecta since Jan 2017 and around 6k...no problems. Called Nissan to check out a few things last week. Bent isofix, poorly fitted seatbelt and dodgy satnav instructions of late (would take me up and off ramp and back down the other side etc)

The took it in. The guy said voltage was a bit down after his 15 mile run, so he charged battery up!! Also said satnav been reset as some would go dark screen. And I thought all was ok.

Took it for 150 mile run yesterday daytime. Stopped for ten minutes to get a pizza take away...battery was flat. No warning or anything.....stop start only worked once on trip, which was unusual in hindsight. Managed to restart it after a 20 minute wait with nothing on to drain battery.
As usual Nissan hard to contact. Saw these forums and thought I'd call RAC.......came out and checked it thoroughly and said it was an open diode in alternator. Now just try and tell Nissan that!!! I wont hold my breath, will keep you posted. Battery is same make/model you guys have

RAC result after battery test, which was all fine. Then plugged it into computer and did a deep test of system, which I'm not sure many would:
Battery Test Results
Battery Test
Battery Manufacturer: FIAMM
Rating of battery tested: 720EN
Chemistry of battery tested: ENHANCEDFLOODED
Rated Ah of battery tested: 70
Smart charge: Yes
Battery Test Results
Time: 16/10/2017 19:37
Temperature: 16.1°C
Measured voltage: 12.39Volts
Measured rating: 332EN