Draining battery

ICE, Equipment, Options
duncho

Post by duncho »

Interesting! Just out of curiosity, you noted that you "plugged it into computer and did a deep test of system".
What software did you use to get such comprehensive report?

For me the most concerning in the report is:

- Smart charge: Yes
"Smart charging system" is improperly designed, keeps car battery permanently undercharged which has adverse effect on its life span

- State of health: 60%
This is ALARMING LOW CONSIDERING AGE AND MILEAGE!!!
Nissan smart battery charging system, forces alternator to maintain the battery in undercharged state at all times in "benefit of fuel saving"! Sorry to say, but thisis sick logic created on paper by uneducated person...

- State of charge: 69%
This only proves that "smart charging system" isn't configured correctly. Car Lead-Acid battery should always be maintained at fully charged state, otherwise its electrodes are exposed to irreversible damage - sulphation. Especially at winter temps (below zero) when battery capacity is reduced due to affected chemical reactions of the electrolyte, insufficiently charged battery suffer not only due to lower temps conditions, but higher load during cold engine cranking.

- Test Result: Serviceable Recharge
This again only proves undercharged battery and improper battery charging logic. Why customer should charge a battery if every car is designed to do so on its own? Alternator has plenty of power, precisely 2.1 kW (BOSCH make) or 1.44kW (Valeo make).

Last Friday, Nissan representative stated the following "Nissan has been using smart battery charging system for several years, and the system has undergone both test and homologation. We do not have option to change this setting, it's the software, for all vehicles subject to European global homologation."

No comment :)
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Duncho,

The idea of this charging system is that when u coast down a hill or are decelerating the car will top up the battery. If the battery is always 100% charged it will never be able to use the vehicle inertia to charge it up, therefore there is a period of low charge.

From this I guess its best to do your own anual battery reconditioning using a quality charger / contitioner.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Daewar,

it's a bit more advanced (I can't believe I just said that)!

- When accelerating, ECM sends signal to alternator to reduce engine load (charging Voltage drops down to 11.6V)
- When coasting, AND THIS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM, charging Voltage settles about 12.4V (should be 13.2-13.5V)
- When decelerating, ECM sends signal to alternator to increase engine load (charging Voltage raise up to 14.6V)

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

This makes me wonder if all cars are not made equal as we have some people having issues with battery performance & others whos battery appears to work well for many years.

What are your thoughts on self battery conditioning, seams like a no brainer to me?
duncho wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:51 pm Daewar,

it's a bit more advanced (I can't believe I just said that)!

- When accelerating, ECM sends signal to alternator to reduce engine load (charging Voltage drops down to 11.6V)
- When coasting, AND THIS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM, charging Voltage settles about 12.4V (should be 13.2-13.5V)
- When decelerating, ECM sends signal to alternator to increase engine load (charging Voltage raise up to 14.6V)
duncho

Post by duncho »

If the system is set on edge of working state (which Nissan smart charging system is), then it very depends on customers' driving style and quality of used battery. As all the batteries are not 100% equal and each of us drive different route and have different driving style, it honestly doesn't surprise me at all.
When I wrote email to Nissan, I briefly checked few QQ forums (UK, DE, RU, CZ) and there was in total +/- 4200 users' inputs complaining on failed or permanently discharged battery. It is a lot, but still not enough compare to cars produced. True also is that not everybody know his right to get it replaced free of cost or some people are non-conflicting and replace the battery on their own.

Milliways42
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Milliways42 »

Just had this issue with my 16 plate tekna, went to local Nissan dealer (West way) battery replaced with no quibbles, guy on the service desk was really helpful and said they had done “loads” just the same... so seems dealers are aware and won’t quibble when replacing dodgy FIAMM batteries!
fat controller

Post by fat controller »

Is there any benefit to be had from periodically charging these batteries via a smart charger?
1.5dci Acenta Premium
Wishlist: Autofold Mirrors, Chrome body trim and Metal sill protectors;

duncho

Post by duncho »

fat controller wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:08 pm Is there any benefit to be had from periodically charging these batteries via a smart charger?
Yes there is - extended battery life. The best is monitoring of battery voltage while car is resting. It makes sense to charge it with a charger only if battery voltage drops below 12.6V.

fat controller

Post by fat controller »

Ah, so that charger I bought is not going to go to waste then. I take it just shoving my meter across the battery will be accurate enough to give the resting voltage?
1.5dci Acenta Premium
Wishlist: Autofold Mirrors, Chrome body trim and Metal sill protectors;

duncho

Post by duncho »

Yes, but... As soon as you hit unlock key on car remote, your intention to measure battery resting voltage is lost. You would need to keep bonnet open and check it without "touching the car" e.g. next morning. Or install voltmeter inside in the car and leave it always ON.