Draining battery

ICE, Equipment, Options
duncho

Post by duncho »

Well, not easy as you let Nissan reason to deny the fault. Why didn't you disconnect dashcam? Even if you have voltage cut off switch, connect the dashcam to a fuse which is powered only when ignition is on. Or do you have a need to record in parking mode as well?
To find a real reason of dead battery, I suggest you to measure idle drain current when car is locked and in sleep mode. Only so you can find the real reason of failed battery.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!

Jason.e.fenton

Post by Jason.e.fenton »

I did disconnect dashcam as connected via cigarette socket, I don’t have equipment to check drain when car locked but RAC found a drain of 1.8A when all car systems off. RAC tech said shouldn’t be above 0.3A but couldn’t find any drain.
Nissan Qashqui, 2016 (65) Tekna 1.6 dci 130bhp in Ink Blue
duncho

Post by duncho »

Well, so there is something wrong with your car. J11 has idle drain only 10-18mA. UK model could be a bit more because of alarm, but I guessno more than 30mA all togehter.
Bring it to a dealer andask for fix (based on results from RAC). BTW, did RAC guy wait 10-15 min when he measured the drain? If not, that would explain the big current.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
mrbcb

Post by mrbcb »

25 month Qashqai 1.6 turbo petrol, needed a new battery this morning. It started ok when going to get a paper but would not restart. RAC called and after a thorough check it was found that the battery was finished. Luckily the RAC had a replacement on board and a new one was fitted under warranty and it started immediately. It did not cost me a anything owing to a recent Nissan service and 3 year warranty. The RAC were first class.
zezinho
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by zezinho »

My QQ (ntec 1.2 petrol) is nearly 3 years old and last week began the sluggish starts and by Friday it completely failed to start. Classic Fiamm battery failure. Got the car to local dealer with jump start and by Saturday battery was replaced with a 'Nissan Genuine Part's under warranty. Last week i also got a vehicle recall notice (wheel arch protector may deform and contact brake hose) which I gather was done at same time but not mentioned in report/paperwork. Just to be sure, i got Nissan customer services head office involved to make certain battery was replaced without too much fuss. They always stated full diagnostics had to be done...in the end bad battery like so many others.
BaggieBoy
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by BaggieBoy »

Another "victim" here. I have a 65 plate 1.5dCi and on Thursday it wouldn't turn over, after jumpstarting it and leaving it ticking over for 10 minutes it seemed OK. This suggested that the charging system was working OK. Since then only done a couple of local journeys and it was OK last night. However this morning the fault was back, my daughter is away so no chance to jumpstart at the moment. I do have an old battery from a Megane that I keep charged up, but even try to jump start from that isn't working. I'll have to call the dealer in the morning, either they can pick it up or I will have to get the RAC to jumpstart me so I can get it there.
Current: '24 reg e-Power Tekna in Magnetic Blue
Previous: '65 reg 1.5 dCi n-Tech (currently being used by my daughter) /// '08 reg 2.0 dCi Tekna 4WD (sadly deceased)
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

If you tell RAC its a battery problem they will bring a new battery with them that's what they have done for other people
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

Just had our new QQ Connect 1.2 CVT for a week but I am surprised at how much is going on in the car with all the tech, and because we have done a lot of short journeys in very cold weather with all lights and heating on I make sure the Stop Start is off to preserve the battery which must be getting hammered. I notice lots of dashboard lights stay on after locking the car including the dash cam through the cig socket for a good few minutes. I went back to the car several times to make sure it had all finally 'gone to sleep'
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
StewartP
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by StewartP »

Another one for the list, Feb 15 car at 30k miles so lasted slightly better than some. Thanks to the forum-and everyone who has posted on the subject- I was aware of the issue and potential warning signs. In my case stop/start error message and system lock out over a number of days,had sourced a neat little cigarette voltage meter and with it showing only 11.9V the other day I fully expected the click of doom from the starter but no it did fire up. Booked the car to my dealer for yesterday morning and new battery swapped in,their test on the old one had it showing 0% ! life left so caught just in the nick of time.
Given the discussions in this thread especially about the smart charging set up I'm contemplating a trickle charger now as the next battery replacement will be my responsibility- if I keep the car that long, however that does beg the question, where people have had the battery replaced with a Nissan one (KE241....) rather than a Fiamm one are early/short life failures still an issue or is the Nissan item proving more resilient (so far...) ?
(2022) 2022 J12 E-Power Tekna
(2018) 2017 J11b 1.6dci Tekna X-tronic
(2015) 2015 1.5dci Tekna-non panoramic roof
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

Just had my battery replaced by the dealer, I was getting a chassis control fault the dealer said the battery had a faulty cell so they have replaced the Fiamm with a Nissan battery under the warranty.
To be fair the Fiamm had been ok for nearly 3 years, time will tell with the new battery but not sure I will be keeping it much longer.
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.