anyone used connect system?

ICE, Equipment, Options
Rundmc

Post by Rundmc »

Would this not be classed as tethering by the mobile operators and in many cases outside data allowance ?
Qashqai 1.5 dci Acenta Premium Ink Blue since 13/05/14

kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

That's a very good question.Technically it is a kind of tethering I guess but if done via a specific app it would be difficult, if not impossible, for the operator to stop it. In the case of an iPhone that would be even more difficult as the device has to be connected via a cable and as such you could argue it's acting more like a modem than a hotspot.As it doesn't use the phones built-in tethering options I think it's a conveniently grey area and one an operator would struggle to uphold as a breach of contract.There are apps that attempt to do this for standard internet access if your provider blocks tethering which is probably, but only slightly, more of a breach of T&C's.
Driving a 1.5DCi Tekna in Blade Silver since 14/02/2014
cliffgorse

Post by cliffgorse »

I would think it would be down to the different mobile providers, I am on Three and for £15 for 1 year contract, I get all you can eat data and i can use it for tethering, i can only talk for Three I chose it so when i go to my caravan in York i can use my laptop and tablet. i would assume the other providers do it for a small fee.
1.6 dci CVT Tekna Nightshade Delivery picked up on the 17th
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

Some providers do not permit tethering at all, usually the cheaper ones like Tesco for example. So, although Tesco run over the O2 network, which on some tariffs allows tethering and on some it doesn't, it's not available on Tesco at all even at a cost.It really is down to understanding your provider and what is and isn't allowed. However, I THINK the necessity to download the Nissan Connect App implies the systems links to that App and therefore avoids the tethering requirement.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I downloaded the free android app onto my samsung pad yesterday. Can't use any of it, but the Enhanced Reality option will be useful. It highlights parts of the car with tags that give more info when selected.If, as I have read, there will be no paper manual/guide with the car (unless you print out a multi, multi page document), the ER system will be an easy way to familiarise yourself with the car.
tekna cvt mag red
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

I got all the usual manuals when I got my car in the the usual pouch in the glove box.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

thats good to know. thanksi read on the other forum that nissan were trying to reduce thier carbon footprint throughout the company and not printing brochures, books etc. all paperwork would be on dvd/download.
tekna cvt mag red
Rundmc

Post by Rundmc »

I am on three too but the ultimate 200 which doesn't allow tethering. I believe ways they can work out if you are tethering is such things as the web browser you might be using etc that would indicate its from a different phone or PC rather than your IOS device which would be safari. I guess maybe it depends on whether it is just sending the data down your USB cable and the app on the phone is doing the connection as such.

Maybe if I go down this route of QQ then will test it for a month to see if anything shows on my bill.
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

I think technically the Nissan Connect App will talk to the Internet and the Nissan Connect in the car. As far as your data stream is concerned that would just show up as the Nissan Connect App accessing the internet, the same as any other App...i.e. masking the real use.BUT as I haven't managed to get past the You+ registration yet as I keep forgetting to note down my VIN number I might be wrong lolMark
Rundmc

Post by Rundmc »

Thanks let me know how you get on