Call that a sat nav??? Newbie rant/question...

ICE, Equipment, Options
couchpotato

Post by couchpotato »

Hi everybody! New QashQai owner here (or at least keeper: the lease company are the owners...)So
I got my QQ 3wks ago as a company car. Model is the 1.2 petrol Tekna
with all the bells and whistles. Having previously had a Mini Cooper S
for 4yrs I'm loving the space!! And I can go to the dump!!But
I simply cannot believe how bad the sat nav system is. I am on the road
most days and have previously used the TomTom provided by my employer
which had live traffic updates. One of the reasons for selecting the QQ
Tekna was the built in system and no longer needing a gadget attached to
the windscreen.However, its just so poor....I've
already had a few occasions where its taken me to a location nowhere
near where I need to go. One occasion it was 2.1miles out!!And then there's the so called "Traffic Info" or should I say lack of traffic info.
Today I was directed to the M4 (Jct.10) and as I rounded the curve I
was confronted with 3 lanes of solid traffic. After checking Google maps
on my phone (whilst stationary of course) I found that the jam extended
all the way to the M25 (Jct.7). So I got off at jct.9 but it took over
an hour to travel the 5.5miles-or-so. What an absolute nightmare. And
all because the system doesnt seem to have a clue what traffic
information might mean.So here's my question: what options do I
have? Is there a way to update the software to something that has
reasonable functionality? What about jailbreaking the existing system to
fit some software that actually works?I've got a fairly long
drive tomorrow and will be putting the Tomtom back on the windscreen but
hope to god that there is something I can do as otherwise I feel that
I've been "sold" a bit of a pup given how bad the existing system seems
to be....And I havent even gone into how there are no speed
cameras notifications on it and how it only allows you to program in one
diversion per journey.....!That's a bit of a moan for a new boy isn't it??

Geezso

Post by Geezso »

You need to check your dynamic route guidance is set to automatic, not prompt or off.the traffic info for me is always full and find the sat nav very good. I'm sure the postcode may differ 2.1 miles away, was it input error or lack of data on your part
2015 Qashqai 115 Dig T - Gun Metalic
2015 Note Dig S - Black
Geezso

Post by Geezso »

The speed and traffic camera system also works perfectly fine for me. Have you set it up? Its off as in certain European countries they don't like you to be alerted to safety cameras
2015 Note Dig S - Black
couchpotato

Post by couchpotato »

I've checked my settings: system was set to prompt so I've set to automatic. But if there is an hour's delay on the M4 (not exactly a backroad...), why would it not prompt/alert me to the problem?The postcode was input correctly and google maps correctly identified the correct road, not where the QQ system took me....As for the traffic/speed cameras, there isnt an option to turn them on so are they permanently disabled in the UK? It seems from other threads that people have them enabled so why dont I?I'm going to put the Tomtom back on tomorrow and run both side by side to see how they compare but I'm not happy!
Geezso

Post by Geezso »

The prompt setting changes the route colour, not really helpful.as for speed cameras you need to set the poi to ON and BEEP also approx 250 yards warning. It will then show an icon in bottom right and beep when near. Not as aggressive as old system, but I feel better. all this from memory, but hope it works
2015 Note Dig S - Black
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Without seeing all your settings etc it is impossible to comment properly on this, however I would suspect your settings are not as they should be.
I have only once been taken to the wrong postcode area and that was because in my haste I had incorrectly omitted a number. Have a play about with it and youll find it works fine.
Geezso

Post by Geezso »

Daddy is correct as usual. If its really giving you issues call your dealer, generally a good master tech would set at pdi, but worth 5/10 minutes with him.
2015 Note Dig S - Black
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

A tomtom with iq traffic it isn't, I'm not the greatest fan of the sat nav, having just spent a week in the lothians and Edinburgh,I feel sorry for anyone who lives there having to trust the sat nav to get from a to b.
The maps in this area are shockingly bad,they are so out of date,turn offs on the A1 that do not exist,sending us miles down a minor road to find out it was now a dead end,and 6 hour return trip today due to traffic hold ups on the M6,iq traffic would have got us out of that jam.

Love the car,if we got another,wouldn't be bothered if it didn't have a sat nav.

AndyM2015-08-07 21:21:08
2017 N-Connecta/comfort pack 1.2 Xtronic Chestnut Bronze
sporttourer

Post by sporttourer »

Sat nav has some advantages over Tom Tom and some disadvantages.
On a recent long journey we ran both built in sat nav & tom tom.
Our Tom Tom with live traffic updates did not know anything about the main A30 being closed in to Cornwall, the Nissan sat nav told us the "traffic situation has changed", there is a road closed ahead & re-calculated an alternative route.
Tom tom with live traffic updates didn't inform us - being new to Nissan & a long term user of tom tom we believed the tom tom - until we got to the road closure!!
couchpotato

Post by couchpotato »

[quote="sporttourer"]Sat nav has some advantages over Tom Tom and some disadvantages. On a recent long journey we ran both built in sat nav & tom tom.Our Tom Tom with live traffic updates did not know anything about the main A30 being closed in to Cornwall, the Nissan sat nav told us the "traffic situation has changed", there is a road closed ahead & re-calculated an alternative route.Tom tom with live traffic updates didn't inform us - being new to Nissan & a long term user of tom tom we believed the tom tom - until we got to the road closure!![/QUOTE]Blimey!Well, just about to set off down to the coast (wife's birthday treat) and then back to SW London to babysit the grandson so there'll be plenty of opportunity to compareThanks for all the replies: much appreciated. I'll update and let you know if I've worked out what is going on and changed (or reinforced!) my opinion