J11 Battery charging system problem

ICE, Equipment, Options
marath
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by marath »

Daewar wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:19 pm I think someone previously mentioned putting a resistor near the earth connector where the battery charge level is monitored, maybe try a search for it? This would keep your battery at a higher state of charge.
marath wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:41 am I've the same problem in a 2012 J10. Can´t find a solution! And I'm tired spending money in Nissan mechanicals for nothing. They recommend a alternator change, but the alternator works just like you guys describe here. I use a multimeter to check it's work and is just like described. When the car starts it charge above 14v but trips it lets the battery below 12,5. My trick is when arrive turn off the car and turn on again, to charge the battery. But this is destroying batterys one after other. I like the car but believe i must change it for a Peugeot 3008 or 5008.

If someone can help...

Thanks to all
Thanks for trying to help.

iceze
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by iceze »

I have to ask but will this extend the time of start/stop.

My start/stop literally just lasts a minute or two. I was thinking it could be the battery but do others have the same problem?

Will the resistor mod do anything for this? or will having lower fake voltage result in stop/start working worse/no different?
2015 J11 Tekna
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

My start/stop is very similar, especially if the lights, aircon are on etc, you can stop your car starting itself buy putting it into 1st gear. I do this a lot now. It also stops the car rolling if on a slight gradient.
iceze wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:51 pm I have to ask but will this extend the time of start/stop.

My start/stop literally just lasts a minute or two. I was thinking it could be the battery but do others have the same problem?

Will the resistor mod do anything for this? or will having lower fake voltage result in stop/start working worse/no different?
iceze

Post by iceze »

How can the start/stop activate if in gear mate?

Granted I do have lights and climate all set to auto but I do feel the start/stop should last longer than this. It can literally last 30secs. I will have to try in the day with lights and climate control off.

@Duncho Could the resistor mod extend the start/stop duration?
2015 J11 Tekna
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

iceze wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:00 pm How can the start/stop activate if in gear mate?

Granted I do have lights and climate all set to auto but I do feel the start/stop should last longer than this. It can literally last 30secs. I will have to try in the day with lights and climate control off.

@Duncho Could the resistor mod extend the start/stop duration?
Once the engine stops then put the car into gear without depressing the clutch, the stop start won’t kick in again until you touch the clutch or put the car into neutral.
Navillus

Post by Navillus »

I have a 66 plate qashqai 1.6 diesel. In November 2018 it wouldn't start I called out RAC the battery was very low on charge engineer fitted new battery. Problem solved. However in February 2019 when driving the display stated that there was a system fault with a selection of symbols flashing, stopped car restarted everything OK. Short time later same problem. contacted Nissan Dealer and returned call to service department, they check and told me that battery was only 75% charged which was causing the various systems to shut down. The answer from the dealership was for me to recharge the battery with an independent charger. This battery is only 4 months old!!!!!! Question is the charging system on the car adequate to charge the battery? Is this the problem or do I have to spent the rest of my life recharging the battery????? :x :x
duncho

Post by duncho »

Navillus wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:40 am Question is the charging system on the car adequate to charge the battery?
No it isn't.
Navillus wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:40 am Is this the problem or do I have to spent the rest of my life recharging the battery????? :x :x
Battery charge algorithm isn't well designed, therefore you will need to once a while charge the car battery, or you need to do some modification to fix it.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I agree with @duncho. I have seen car battery manufactures (Bosch) claim that today's car batteries are designed to take a higher charge in a short time. Sleep well folks ?

No..don't sleep on this, especially in the cold season. Keep a sharp eye out via the hidden service/test menus regarding Power Supply level.

I suspect the design charge target is for the folks that drive 40 miles or so to work almost everyday. The charging figures I have seen ranging from 14.89 to about 12.5 volts on such a journey, during a 30 minute journey window, bother me a lot. Thats daylight driving.

Be ready with a battery charger or spare charged battery constantly. Frequent short (stop/start) journeys are an absolute killer and these cars are periodically drawing currents of small value when ignition is OFF.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I had a day trip yesterday, and the START/STOP kicked in a bit during a traffic jam. So it probably stopped/restarted several times in just a few minutes.

When I then got going, at the next set of traffic lights it didn't stop straight away, took a few seconds, and then just as it was stopping the traffic lights changed to green and I pressed the clutch. Doing this at the exact same moment the engine was stopping seemed to confuse it, my Connect system rebooted, and I couldn't get the car going again. Tried for a few minutes, it just kept turning over without starting the engine. Panic ensued, with the drivers behind me honking their horns. Was on a slope, but couldn't roll down and off onto the kerb because the e-brake was on. Eventually decided to turn off the system, open the door so it all went off. Locked/unlocked. Turned on ignition and this time it let me take the e-brake off and I rolled it onto the kerb. Then when I tried the engine, started first time.

Disabled S/S for the rest of the journey, no problems starting the engine when I properly stopped throughout the day.

When I got home, went for a drive around the block with S/S on, and it kept stopping as it should, starting as it should, no problems at all.

So not really sure what went on there. Lots of S/S in traffic with not much engine on time afterwards to top up the charge probably dropped it too low (although it did start eventually).

Think I'm going to get into the habit of turning off S/S for small journeys/daily commute.

( I seem to recall this happened shortly after I got the car 2 years ago, the S/S kicked in at the exact same moment I pressed the clutch to start moving again, and took me a couple of tries to start it - at that time I put it down to me not understanding S/S, but maybe there's a software fault that if you press your clutch at the exact same time the S/S decides to shut the engine off, it crashes the sysem)
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I've been driving a round a lot with the hidden menu displaying the voltage a lot recently, trying to figure out what is going on. One thing I noticed is for the first 15 minutes of a drive, it was way up (14.7 - 14.9), during this period the S/S would never kick in. Then at some point once the S/S kicks in (presumably when the battery is topped up enough) it starts displaying anywhere between 12.5 to 13.5 whilst driving. After each S/S it will jump back to the high 14s again for a minute or so.

It has always done this.

However, I have just updated the system firmware to D554 and it is now behaving completely differently. It doesn't go to high 14s anymore, it goes to lows 14s, 14.0 to 14.2. And stays like that all the time, even after a long drive and after S/S.

I don't think the Connect system has anything to do with controlling voltage or regulating it, so it must just be the display of it which was wrong before or is wrong now. But it means you probably can't trust what that is actually displaying!
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T