J11 Battery charging system problem

ICE, Equipment, Options
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

duncho wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:29 pm chrisw99:
All is well, this is how charging system is designed it always keep the battery undercharged 12.3 -12.5V.
Battery deteriorates only because of undercharge status which as a results supports building the sulphate oxidation of the battery plates.
Thanks. I was trying to figure out how the charge level relates to the START STOP feature actually working, and some things I've noticed.. (using the system menu power supply status)

When I start my engine, my voltage goes up to 14.75 approx and stays that way for about 25-30 minutes until the stop start feature starts to work.

When my engine stops due to the stop start at traffic lights, the voltage drops to 12.79 and steadily drops almost every second 12.78, 12.77, ... until after 30 seconds or so it reaches 12.4 and then the engine springs into life.

Once it's restarted after a stop start, it stays at 13.5 rather than going back up to 14.7.

So it seems that this system of keeping it undercharged means, if you just regularly do short journeys...
a) stop start never kicks in until after 25-30 mins of driving
b) Once it does, it only stops the engine for 30 seconds or so before it comes back on.

I say short journeys because I have also noticed if I've been on a long motorway drive, the stop start seems a bit quicker to come on (10 mins rather than 30 mins) for the next couple of days.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T

duncho

Post by duncho »

Battery Life Information for your Nissan Vehicle: http://nicoclub.com/archives/battery-li ... hicle.html

Nissan however didn't mention that VCBS is set on edge of its interoperability..
Last edited by duncho on Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

It would appear ambient temperature has a major effect as well. Just when I thought I'd figured it out - charging voltage 14.79 for the first 20-30 mins of any drive before it dropped and START/STOP worked..

Well, the temperature has now warmed up and the past 2 days going to work, even though the voltage pre-ignition was low at 12.3v, the START/STOP has been kicking in after just 5 minutes.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
duncho

Post by duncho »

Ofcourse it does, heat is the number one enemy of lead-acid batteries. The number two is keeping battery undercharged, number three overcharging it.

If I could set the battery charging pattern, it would maintain the battery voltage at level of 14.6V in a winter time and 13.5V in a summer time (monitored based on ambient temperature and temperature of the battery). That would achieve prolonging of battery life to its maximal extent.

mikethemix
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by mikethemix »

I have the same problem described by Duncho in the first post in this thread.
Charge current quickly drops such that 12.9 volts at the battery terminals is the norm. This results in the battery never being fully charged. I have had to call the AA twice after sitting with the radio on and my phone on charge for half an hour. That trivial drain was enough to take the battery below starting capacity.
The original battery failed at 3.5 years, the second was destroyed by sulphation - I am fortunate that was replaced under Varta's warranty.

I had the charge system checked by Nissan dealer - they confirmed 12.9 volts is not enough, and that the alternator is faulty. They quoted me £450 plus VAT for the parts, £100 plus VAT for fitting. A cool £600 for the lot...
I found one on eBay with exactly the same part number (salvage) and fitted it but guess what - it has the same fault!

So, what is the fix?
There any many "Quashqai" alternators being sold on eBay, they all look the same but have different specs and part numbers. 105amp, 120 amp, 150 amp. Would any of them fit my car and be compatible with the system? Clearly the 150amp is overkill, but too big is not a problem - it would have an easy life in my petrol car with no stop/ start.

However, how can I spot one that doesn't have this same problem???
duncho

Post by duncho »

The problem isn't in alternator, but Nissan. You see that even if dealrship admits it is not enough, they won't be able to help, only swap the alternator and then they will tell you that unfortunatelly it is as it is and they can't do anything because it is how Nissan designed it. What you can do, is to confuse charging logic having information that the battery is undercharged, to force think IPDM module it needs to charge it. I described all in detail on Czech forum (use google to translate to English): http://www.nissanclub.cz/forum-tema/dob ... ora-328695

I hope it helps.
Cheers

iceze
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by iceze »

Is there any kit or anything duncho to implement this?
2015 J11 Tekna
duncho

Post by duncho »

iceze wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:13 pm Is there any kit or anything duncho to implement this?
No kit, it’s so simple that it wouldn’t make sense. For S/S reversing there is a module available if you will need one.

marath
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by marath »

I've the same problem in a 2012 J10. Can´t find a solution! And I'm tired spending money in Nissan mechanicals for nothing. They recommend a alternator change, but the alternator works just like you guys describe here. I use a multimeter to check it's work and is just like described. When the car starts it charge above 14v but trips it lets the battery below 12,5. My trick is when arrive turn off the car and turn on again, to charge the battery. But this is destroying batterys one after other. I like the car but believe i must change it for a Peugeot 3008 or 5008.

If someone can help...

Thanks to all
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I think someone previously mentioned putting a resistor near the earth connector where the battery charge level is monitored, maybe try a search for it? This would keep your battery at a higher state of charge.
marath wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:41 am I've the same problem in a 2012 J10. Can´t find a solution! And I'm tired spending money in Nissan mechanicals for nothing. They recommend a alternator change, but the alternator works just like you guys describe here. I use a multimeter to check it's work and is just like described. When the car starts it charge above 14v but trips it lets the battery below 12,5. My trick is when arrive turn off the car and turn on again, to charge the battery. But this is destroying batterys one after other. I like the car but believe i must change it for a Peugeot 3008 or 5008.

If someone can help...

Thanks to all