Forward Emergency Brake Light / Collision Avoidance

ICE, Equipment, Options
bibs2211

Post by bibs2211 »

I have recently noticed that this warning light comes on whilst starting the car, but quickly disappears again. Could you please advise if this is normal, as I do not recall seeing it before. Does this mean that the system is working properly, or that there is a fault somewhere?

Thank you.
Regards
Bibs.

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Yes, the system gives itself a quick once over during startup. As long as the light goes out quickly then all is ok.
raefil

Post by raefil »

Anyone ever been in a position where this was needed? I certainly wouldnt dare try to test to see if it works :)
J11b 1.5dci NConeccta Vivid blue
Wolf97

Post by Wolf97 »

Yes, I had a guy suddenly turn left with no indication, system reacted quicker than I could and applied the brakes, it came as a bit of a shock with red light flashing on the centre panel, but the system WORKED thank goodness. Not saying I would have hit him, don't think I would but nice to know the systems there
65 plate Tekna 1.5 diesel in Storm White
raefil

Post by raefil »

Wolf97 wrote:Yes, I had a guy suddenly turn left with no indication, system reacted quicker than I could and applied the brakes, it came as a bit of a shock with red light flashing on the centre panel, but the system WORKED thank goodness. Not saying I would have hit him, don't think I would but nice to know the systems there
Thanks for that, thats quite reassuring.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Yes, me!

On my way home I was completely distracted by a family matter and simply was not paying correct attention. Heading around a corner, I did not realise a van had stopped in front of me waiting for a car in front of him to turn. Heading towards him at about ~30mph, the car beeped, I reacted but not quick enough and the car anchored on for me and stopped what must have been inches from the back of it!

Tell you what, I would have never been able to brake like that though, but it helped that the road was perfectly dry and I had good tyres on. If it was slightly damp I would have gone into him but at a much slower speed.

Although it saved my arse that day from a repair bill, its not designed to stop the car from hitting something, but designed to shave enough speed off to limit damage, or even prevent it from being a fatal if the speed is great enough. In my case, I got lucky with the speed I was doing and the conditions that it worked REALLY well!
raefil

Post by raefil »

yikws. Hope mine never gets to be tested!! :)
Wolf97

Post by Wolf97 »

You never know what's around the next corner, that's where tec helps .
65 plate Tekna 1.5 diesel in Storm White
yaesu

Post by yaesu »

NEVER drive at such a speed that you cannot stop within the distance you can see to be clear. It's in the highway code,
Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear.
At whatever speed you're driving you should remember the '2 second rule'. ie leave a 2 second gap between yourself and the vehicle in front. I find even that's plenty close enough in some traffic conditions.
Remember also it's much better to talk to someone than about them!
Take care,regards, yaesu
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

Your point is valid Yaesu.
These are only aids and as the manual states not a replacement for driver responsibility however I defy anyone to deny that their concentration has never wavered while driving and these aids may help to avoid a collision.
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.