After Market Double DIN Unit - OctaCore Android

ICE, Equipment, Options
Johnhelliwell
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Johnhelliwell »

Hi everyone.

I'm a new J11 (pre-facelift) owner, picked it up yesterday :) I want to upgrade the head unit as I want to use google maps for nav. Other than that the main use cases for me are streaming from BBC Sounds / Spotify / Audible etc , listening to DAB radio, very infrequently watching Netflix/Amazon Prime (but not too worried if that's not do'able). I also want to retain the 360 cameras, reversing cameras etc.
I've following this thread with interest but I'd be interested to know from you guys why you choose an Android head unit versus a head unit (from the traditional head unit brands) that supports Android Car Play (not sure if that's the right name, but plugging your phone in and 'projecting' to the head unit).
What are the pro and cons of the two approaches?

Qashqai942
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Qashqai942 »

Its a fully independent unit,your phone conected via bluetooth would be nececessary only for using handsfree calling and contacts ,though the newer unit installed here carries its own dongle for 4G phone calls with its own independent calling,the most crucial thing if you decide to get these units it is the canbus box which will help getting all the original funcionality for SWC and the 360 cameras, which work wonderfully, infact the size of the screen makes the cameras installed seem very low quality and eventually would be swapping them out for better units,the Pioneer,Kenwood, Panasonic and other after market units are also limited in their functionality compared with these Android units, bascially you have the full android experience of a tablet and phone as you can also set up your emails on the device etc.the other branded aftermarket units still have closed eco systems limiting alot of the
Original vehicles functionality,this unit purchased here carries the micro slot to the left front of the unit not the side loading as we see others having on those cheaper daisata units .Running Android 10 here with csn firmware which is the latest .We posted a few of the issues we have with the unit but expect them to be addressed in future updates by the manufacturer,we expect that other developers will get on board soon as BMW installed Android aftermarket units have gotten an IBUS which makes the unit integrate closely with the onboard computer of those vehicles.Btw got Netflix and other video programs running on the unit beautifully sound and video quality leaps above OEM unit using original speaker hardware.We also see people asking if its android auto and iphone compatible its NOT necessary to have them as its kinda redundant for android auto on an android unit as for carplay you can get it hooked up via the dongle for that you just have to let the manufacturer know what you exactly need got my unit custom built by them voice activated and all
Johnhelliwell

Post by Johnhelliwell »

Thanks for the reply, and your thoughts. Makes sense. you mention 'this unit purchased here' - which unit is that?
Johnhelliwell

Post by Johnhelliwell »

Another question for those of you that have installed an Android head unit. Can you stream music from your phone without tethering (like you can in most cars these days). For example, I'm walking the dog listening to an audio book on headphones, i get in the car but i don't want to have to load the Audible app, download the book again, scroll to find the right place. Can I stream from the phone? Or do I need to plug in which would mean that any passengers would need to do the same to stream from their phone.
Mad Maru

Post by Mad Maru »

Johnhelliwell wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:23 pm Another question for those of you that have installed an Android head unit. Can you stream music from your phone without tethering (like you can in most cars these days). For example, I'm walking the dog listening to an audio book on headphones, i get in the car but i don't want to have to load the Audible app, download the book again, scroll to find the right place. Can I stream from the phone? Or do I need to plug in which would mean that any passengers would need to do the same to stream from their phone.
Just to add, you need to decide which unit you are intending on buying as they are different and you really need to either decide to get what’s shown here or use this to help you confirm with the seller what is needed to ensure comparability. Generic questions won’t get answered as issues don’t apply to each unit only certain ones. I bought my unit and installed it nearly two years ago now via eBay seller but I knew I needed car play and sourced a unit I’m happy with but that was after buying an older unit that wasn’t very good and returned it for a full refund due to it not being able to cope with any apps running etc.
Barry Chuckle

Post by Barry Chuckle »

Hi all,
I'm new to this but have read all 28 pages and could not find an answer. Does anyone here have experience with Xtrons PST10XTN? Very similar to the Dasaita.
Can you add a usb splitter/adaptor between the two black usb cables at the back? This would be for a dab+ adaptor to sit in.
Mad Maru

Post by Mad Maru »

Barry Chuckle wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:20 am Hi all,
I'm new to this but have read all 28 pages and could not find an answer. Does anyone here have experience with Xtrons PST10XTN? Very similar to the Dasaita.
Can you add a usb splitter/adaptor between the two black usb cables at the back? This would be for a dab+ adaptor to sit in.
A usb hub can be installed I have one into my glovebox so it’s easy to reach to plug things in.
Barry Chuckle

Post by Barry Chuckle »

Brilliant. I wasn't sure whether it would interfere with the usb socket in the armrest as it would be connected between where that cable connects. I'll give it a go. To be honest, I'm not that fussed if it takes out the armrest usb as I have a fast charging one for the cigarette lighter. As long as I have dab+ then I'm happy. Thank you.
Barry Chuckle

Post by Barry Chuckle »

Has anyone who has installed one of these types of units ever come across "No Signal" when putting car in reverse to use the reversing camera? Everything else works, Dab, GPS etc. Plugged everything thing in that was able to be plugged in.
numbelino

Post by numbelino »

Hi all.
I have installed a Dasaita PX6 Max 10 for a Qashqai with Bose system.
Everything works except traffic sign detection, lane assist and blind spot. ☹️
Additionally the passenger airbag light is always on.
Is there anyhting I can do to solve this or do I need to go back to car dealer?
Tks a lot for your help!