After Market Double DIN Unit - OctaCore Android

ICE, Equipment, Options
TalonK
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by TalonK »

Finally. Ebay refund came thru so ordered from aliexpress. Made sure correct unit...shipping from Germany. Saved 30 odd quid on Ebay and at least a week of shipping.

All my other bits have arrived besides the tools.

Exciting.... lol

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I follow the large community on xda-developers.com. This forum covers a very wide field of commercial electronics devices that need fixing so as to avoid/improve some manufacturers lame designs and support. I have used this forum to avoid the weak and expensive software offerings of IBM/HTC/Sony/Ericsson/Nikon and Googles awkward relationship with mobile phone makers.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/

I am trawling it at the moment for ICE (head unit) stories. The first I found is this advisory:

CLARION:
"In general, Chinese auto head units offer excellent value; they perform as well or better than locally available units. My sister spent $1,500 for a top of the line Clarion, and was so disgusted with it she gave it away, after several angry verbal exchanges with the shop that sold it to her. I tried working with it as well, and found it to be so buggy as to be impossible to use. By comparison, the $300 I spent bought me an excellent, well performing unit. I'm currently purchasing another one for my Mercedes, which I guess speaks to my confidence regarding their quality and value".

https://forum.xda-developers.com/genera ... e-t3784392

Many car ICE difficulties are listed....am looking for you know who? This forum is mainly about Android head units which will fairly rapidly be of interest to many QQ owners. Legacy head units will rapidly head for the bin I'd say!
Last edited by calnorth on Sun May 12, 2019 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
TalonK

Post by TalonK »

Mine isnt being binned but its defo gonna get boxed up soon. My unit is now within the DPD UK system so only a few days left till delivery.

Nissan and many other manufacturers seem to care less and less about the actual usability of what they create. Their test audiences must be so excited to be testing something new that they forget to actual advise on bad things...
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

TalonK wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:09 am Mine isnt being binned but its defo gonna get boxed up soon. My unit is now within the DPD UK system so only a few days left till delivery.

Nissan and many other manufacturers seem to care less and less about the actual usability of what they create. Their test audiences must be so excited to be testing something new that they forget to actual advise on bad things...
I'm just trying to imagine a Nissan director being told that all head units prior to Connect 3 (say) cannot be fixed by embedded hardware, software/firmware change via Clarion or perhaps Bosch. Meaning all functionality as specified/expected reliably works. Thats a fit for purpose thing.

Behaviour to date indicates a massive and unexpected cost spanning years. Although, it is alleged that a manufacturer will expect a franchise/dealer to charge much less for in house labour.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
TalonK

Post by TalonK »

I have the 1.2digi t qq. Almost top range (didnt want heated seats). First I had the 64 reg 2014 model... and suffered the lovely engine trouble. Successfully argued for a new car when they told me 5months in it needed a new engine. Then got same issue with my current car.

The way Nissan handled it was awful. It was somehow my fault.

I understood the costs to investigate etc... but the attitude and way in which It was done was so badly managed they wasted their own money.

If I didnt love the car so much i would have run a mile years ago.

This new ICE unit will keep my from blowing my stack for a few more years then unfortunately move on from Nissan. Not because of car...but because of after care.
TalonK

Post by TalonK »

Ok. Unit has turned up. Now to watch a whole load of YouTube videos. Thanks so much for pointing me to aliexpress. Much better price, cashback thru TCB and quick delivery from Germany with no import tax.

I dont suppose anyone has a guide as to what cable goes where? Or a link? I assume others have bought the daisatia unit and fitted?
chosan

Post by chosan »

TalonK wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:57 pm Ok. Unit has turned up. Now to watch a whole load of YouTube videos. Thanks so much for pointing me to aliexpress. Much better price, cashback thru TCB and quick delivery from Germany with no import tax.

I dont suppose anyone has a guide as to what cable goes where? Or a link? I assume others have bought the daisatia unit and fitted?
Here's a video:
More videos:

Look on the top of unit for what connector goes where. I'm using the built in mic, it's good enough.
TalonK

Post by TalonK »

What about the 3 extra bits I got for using the existing dab,gps and aerial....
Are they fairly obvious where to connect?

I plan on familiarising myself with the unit tonight before I fit tomorrow.
chosan

Post by chosan »

TalonK wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:24 pm What about the 3 extra bits I got for using the existing dab,gps and aerial....
Are they fairly obvious where to connect?

I plan on familiarising myself with the unit tonight before I fit tomorrow.
They have been described earlier in this thread which goes which by someone else just for you. So read the thread.
TalonK

Post by TalonK »

At no point does anyone say if it's easy to connect those cables in the thread and my question was posted to anyone that's used the extra cables with a daisatia unit.

It was just a general query and not a lazy approach to the post. :)