High frequency whine after turning the ignition

ICE, Equipment, Options
digiteye

Post by digiteye »

High frequency noise under the hood after turning the ignition.
I have a brand new Qashqai 1.2 DIG-T. I got it only some weeks ago.
When turning the ignition but not starting the engine, there is a high frequency noise. It is an electronic sound like a vibrating oscillator or thyristor or so. The volume of this high pitched whine is rather quiet, not loud, so it is not heard once the engine is running, and it barely can be heard from the cabin even if the engine is not running. But if I raise the hood and turn ignition on I'm clearly hearing this electronic high pitched whining sound coming from somewhere over the engine.
Is this normal and what is it caused by? Did anybody experienced this?

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Normal, but I don't know what it is.
digiteye

Post by digiteye »

Thank you, that' s quite enough to me - because the only thing I was afraid of that I was the only owner with that noise. :D (And it could be the sign of a more serious future fault) If this is normal, it absolutely does not disturb me - mainly because it is not audible during a normal ride. Rarely if ever I drive with open hood :D :D
Thank you a lot, now I will sleep really well.
Peter/digiteye
Splink

Post by Splink »

My dealer told me the noise is made by the injectors, and that it is normal for them to make the noise.
1.2 DIG-T Acenta 2014
digiteye

Post by digiteye »

It seems to be an electronic vibration (not a moving mechanism) I sometimes hear a noise like this coming from special neon dazzle lamps in studios etc. Of course it is possible that the injectors use an electric frequency which makes that noise, if the dealer told it comes from the injectors. Thanks for your answer, Splink.
LucaModric

Post by LucaModric »

I have also noticed it but no problems with engine or ride. So I guess it is a normal sound of injectors.
digiteye

Post by digiteye »

I hope so. If this is a usual noise it cannot be caused by something going to die. :mrgreen:
qqdriver
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by qqdriver »

Hi all, i have a QQ 1.2 Dig-T petrol 15 plate that has what appears to be the same issue. You can hear the noise and see roughly where it is coming from here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Km8znULuM4ss4K5T9

Occurs whenever the car is switched on.

Is this the same as you guys have? Is it still happening for you? Do you still believe it is normal i.e. has not developed into a fault?

Thanks.