camera recording

ICE, Equipment, Options
garyw1000

Post by garyw1000 »

Hi all, I'm about to collect my new QQ in about 2 weeks or so, still waiting on word from garage, I've contacted Nissan to ask if the camera images can be recorded onto some device or card or whatever, only to be told no, but they'll pass on the request to the marketing department for them to look at. I don't expect anything back from them this decade, so in the meantime does anyone know how to get the cameras working all the time the engine is switched on , and not just below 5MPH? and how to divert the signal onto a recordable device?

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Short answer is you cannot do this officially. However, search on youtube and some people have managed to do it by various methods, all of which I presume could make electrical warranty work difficult as you will have modified the original equipment.
garyw1000

Post by garyw1000 »

I asked Nissan how to intercept the signal and record it to a separate device, this is the reply:

As this (recording images from camera) is not a Nissan provided feature, we do not have a Technician-certified process in place to tweak the system as you have requested. We do not recommend altering the system in a way that may cause damage.

I have collected your feedback and shared it with the product development team that works on in-car technologies. If there is particular demand in the market for this feature, they will be looking into the options and work on providing this service. Unfortunately, at this point it is not possible to provide this hardware-based feature.

So it looks like they think nobody wants this function, so if we can get everyone, or at least a lot more folk to ask Nissan about it, they might do something about it.

pass it on to others please.
Bpirie1000

Post by Bpirie1000 »

In this day and age you would think insurance companies would be pushing for this facility.
(Who caused a crash)
This may illuminate many bad drivers and may make insurance cheaper as blame culture that were all in these days would be clear as anything on cctv..
Also means I wouldn't be able to let the wife drive..

(Also think there should be something about drink driving in the technology. Where car won't drive if alcohol in body....-but that is even harder to sort technology wise)
Deleted User 6897

Post by Deleted User 6897 »

I'm also looking for the same solution, yet, couldn't find any... :(
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

garyw1000 I have sent Nissan an email asking them to look into incorporating recording into their camera system.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Good dashcams are now so reasonably priced that it really isn’t worth the bother of trying to get the car’s cameras to record.
I’ve quite a few dashcams and the most convenient and discreet are the little cylindrical wi-fi connected ones. I’ve had a Goluk T3 at the front of my Volvo XC90 from new, a year ago. This evening I removed a £15 cheapy from its back window and fitted a similar camera to the Goluk, a DDPi Mini2. They both work great and the apps are similar. The reason that I didn’t get another Goluk is that it’s gone up in price to around £125, while the ddpai is now down to £58 plus micro SD card. The card comes with the Goluk, nevertheless a Samsung 64gb card is now less than £20.

I’ve also got an Aukey dual wired camera ready to fit to the Quashqai. That is very discreet and both cameras record to one card. I got it at an excellent £85 and I’ve ordered a 64gb card for it tonight from mymemory.com. The only issue this type of camera has is that the card has to be removed to another device to view in HD at a sufficient size and quality. That doesn’t happen very often of course, nevertheless I do prefer the Wi-fi cams that stream and download to phone and/or tablet.

So if you can find it at the price I paid, an Aukey will get you set up recording at both ends for less than £100. Or a two camera with two card DdPai mini2 setup will cost less than £150 with quality high speed high capacity cards in each.

Beware of Sandisc ultra [or is it Pro?] cards though, because they are incompatible with most dashcams for some reason.

This is what and where I bought mine. Delivered within 48 hours.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DDPAI-Mini-2 ... %7Ciid%3A1
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

That DDPi one is neat! I really should have one on my bike having in 12/17 hit a car which suddenly turned right while I was overtaking it - fortunately I stayed in control and bounced off. Scratch on fairing for me - dented door, scratched window and deranged door mirror for the car. Fortunately someone stopped and was able to back up my side of the story (very late indication) so the other party accepted full responsibility - but a camera would have helped...

Returning to topic, isn't the resolution on the onboard 360 camera too minimal to be of real benefit?

I have a Nextbase 312GW Full 1080p HD in the car and it seems fine - it replaced a much cheaper lower-res Prestigio one that clearly wasn't as good (and which dropped off the motorbike windscreen, being initially run over I think by my back wheel and then launched sidewards to be comprehensively demolished by a caravan going the other way!).

By the way when I had the tyres replaced I accidentally (honest!) left it on, and discovered they'd dropped and scratched one of the alloys. The workmen were clearly discussing it on the video but it wasn't revealed when I picked the car up. The manager was NOT amused at their conduct when I reported the matter.

After the service at my Nissan Main Dealer recently, I drove away - and discovered they'd pulled the power lead out of the camera!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Found the ddPai mini2 on Amazon today for £50. Amazing value and my daughter and I had a play with it and the Goluk today in the Volvo.
I’ve also partly fitted the Aukey duo in the Qashqai. It is exceptionally discreet I must day. I’ve stuck the pad for the front one on the black dots to the left of the mirror and the camera is virtually invisible. So is the tiny back one stuck at the top centre of the tinted rear screen. I’ve wired the front one in and it works fine, but I’ve used my spare 32GB card in the ddpai now and I’m waiting for a 64gb card in the post, hopefully tomorrow. Will then, at some point, need to route the rather hefty cable that joins the front and back cameras. Shouldn’t take long hopefully, but I would like it to be tucked in very tidily.

One thing to note about the Aukey is that it doesn’t seem to have a park mode like some of the others. So it does need to be connected to a live that switches off with the car electrics. A constant live is not suitable, because it will keep on recording unless switched off.
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

I have used both sockets for my front and rear cameras in my QQ. I find that when I have been in the car with engine off after about 5 mins there is a click from dashboard area and the cameras both shut down. I don't think the sockets are live all the time as a result of this.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.