TPMS Fault light

ICE, Equipment, Options
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

It sure is a niggling problem, experienced the same - put back the original summer wheels on, tpms registered, worked well and the next day, was looking at the pressures while driving and suddenly they disappear and orange light blinks and becomes permanent.

Went down to the tire who did the swap, they checked & said that one of the sensors' battery was dead. I found it hard to believe & that it must be sorted at the dealer's. Went online and found that TPMS batteries shd last an avg. 5 years. A few days later, I was convinced that it was a dead battery cause I found the orange light had disappeared and the pressures showed up, but after about 5 mins of driving, it started again.
Will be getting it fixed at the dealer's.

Suggest you go down to the dealer's than facing the headache yourself.
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I did consider posting about the possibility of it being a flat battery. Being stored in a cold place will affect the battery's life span.... but even if the tyre was fitted to the car it would have been subject to cold conditions anyway (although you could argue by driving the car, heat is generated blah blah...).

Also, if a battery was flat, should it not result in the affected sensor showing no reading rather than all 4?

I notice on the Micra curt car I get every so often that they have a different type of TPMS, one that simply shows a warning in the event of sudden loss and is reset by a calibration button each time, with no ability to display the tyre pressures. I wonder if there is something in this. Are our TPMS sensors sending 2 parameters. 1. Pressure reading and 2. A loss/alarm reading? This would explain a fault with the TMPS system not showing a pressure reading if its confused about sensor location, BUT reporting loss of pressure in one or more tyres?

Clearly this is a concern overall, plenty of people swap out summer/winter tyres depending where they are and their preference, but as TPMS sensors are now a legal requirement, and WILL fail a MOT, having to go back to Nissan outside of warranty period (unless you are extremely friendly with them) is going to start costing a small fortune!

Heres hoping it is a nice simple fix which can be done without needing to go back to Nissan!
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Presumably TPMS replacement will become useful revenue stream for tyre dealers; believe KWIKFIT already mention on their www. They should, hopefully, be better value than you know who when warranty expires.

You can find non OEM ones on web for US model cars, but unsure they'd handshake with our Nissan's brain, as may well be using different frequency?
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
th0mps0n

Post by th0mps0n »

I had the same issue, after I swapped from winter tires and I have rotated front with rear on top of that. Maybe the fact that one of the TPMS was new added to this issue, since the original was broken by guy who did the tire change when I was upgrading to another set of rims last year before the winter season.
Short story, after 10 days the orange light did not go away, so I visited dealer and they have reregistered all 4 sensors from the scratch and the light went immediately away.
Any tire fitting company should be able to do the registration providing they have the right tool.
1.6 dCi 2WD manual Tekna Bronze with Thermaclear, Illuminated sidebars, Chrome premium pack, Chrome mirror covers, Chrome door sill strips

Ordered 2nd May, delivered 20th Nov. :)
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Just swapped mine from front to back to try and get away with replacing at least two before it goes back (2 year lease). Easy enough to do pressure-wise from the on-board computer settings in the centre display. Re-set and they registered correctly after about 10 minutes driving
Territorial_

Post by Territorial_ »

I swapped winter tires and TPMS light came on. After short drive light went off, everything working like they should.
Pressures kept visible few minutes then warning came on again. Now if i leave car overnight everything's working few minutes, then light comes on.
I think sensors battery are dead, sensors should be original, 4 years old.

I'm swapping my worn winter tires next month. Tire shop asked 80€/£70 for a sensor here in Finland. I'm looking cheaper alternatives. I found programmable universal sensors from Autel. According their site Qashqai uses 433Mhz MX-sensor. These sensors can be found form ebay and aliexpress. MX-sensors cost £17 and cloning bad is around £42

Does anybody has experience of these sensors and cloning bad? Idea is to clone your old sensors, no need to program your car.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Take a look in the “Search” Area here is an example, there are other posts that might help - Dave :)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7219&p=60812&hilit=TPMS#p60810
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Territorial_

Post by Territorial_ »

I used search but found nothing about universal sensors. Anyways, i placed an order for mx sensors and clone tool. Will see what happens.
Territorial_

Post by Territorial_ »

So here's my solution.

I got myself a set of Autel MX dual bandwidth 315/ 433MHz sensors and Autel MaxiTPMS Pad.

First i tried to copy old sensors after 5 minutes drive. I tough this might wake up the old sensors. This failed, i could not read sensors.

So next i tested to drop pressure one by one on each tires, this made low pressure alarm go off. This made my vision stronger. I Think the original sensors have two functions, continuous pressure sending function and pressure alert function. I think that system drops off continuous pressure sending if battery gets low, alert function still keeps working.

When sensors stops sending continuous pressure they cannot be copied. Sensors go in sleep mode and they only wake up on critical event like sudden pressure drop witch active alarm.

So after figuring this out i let my car to sit for a 30 minutes to original sensor shut down. Then started to drop pressure from one tire at the time. This activated alarms and woke-up sensors. Now i got them copied, Success. Copying sensors took about 1 minute each, so not too bad.

So no more blinking TPMS light, and from this point forward my sensors only cost 16€ /each if i ever need to replace them again.
Hopefully this helps! :ugeek:

Heres what you need to do.

:!: Get your self a sensor Autel MX dual bandwidth 315/ 433MHz
:!: Get MaxiTPMS pad and download latest software from autels site.
:!: Let your car sit for 30 minutes.
:!: Test new MX sensors by placing them on Maxitpms pad.
:!: After 30 minutes
:!: Start from front one tire at the time. Drop some of the pressure out.. i did something like 2.3bar to 1.9bar. This activates sensor.
:!: Read old sensor by holding pad near valve stem. When pad read your original id write it down. Place your new sensor on pad and copy the sensor id. Your done!
:!: Repeat this to 3 more tires but remember to compare ids you wrote down, you should have 4 different ids.
:!: When your ready, drive to the tire-shop and let them swap the sensors for you. If you dare you can also do this by our self, just brake bead with jack :)
teaboy100

Post by teaboy100 »

resurrecting a slightly old discussion, but hopefully may help someone with the tpms warning light on...
I have a 2014 J11 Qashqai.
The car is supposed to automatically learn/relearn tpms sensors, but mine did not.
I swapped my winter wheels over to my summer set a few weeks ago. The tpms warning tyre/exclamation mark came on and stayed on. I tried all sorts of advice gleaned from google searches to no avail, including using a fleabay version of the EL50448 tpms activation tool (for GM and Ford, but works on my car too).
There is no ground wire under the dash, as on other Nissan models, to force a relearn for the system whilst stationary.
However, today I was working under my car, with the front end up securely on axle stands (tyres off the ground, hand brake on and rears chocked). So I thought I'd start it up and run it whilst off the ground :shock: .
Ignition on, used the EL50448 on each tyre valve, press the clutch in and start the engine, run wheels at 20mph. And 2 of the 4 tyre pressures came up in the display (not sure why but it was progress)
A word of warning - a lot of other warning lights came on as the ecu was reading the front wheels doing 20mph whilst the hand brake is on, the bonnet was up and front door open etc.
However, once i'd stopped the engine, got it off the axle stands, and took it for a drive, the tpms display soon showed all 4 tyre pressures and all other warnings disappeared.
I have had several trips out since, and tpms has remained fully functional.
A weird (and potentially dangerous) way to fix an annoying light, but I don't have to go back to the dealers now. :lol: