TPMS Fault light

ICE, Equipment, Options
djm2

Post by djm2 »

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

I have a new Qashqai Tekna 2014 onwards model. Live in Scotland and bought x4 winter wheels and tyres and TPMS sensors - did not buy these from Nissan. Wasn't sure what would happen when I fitted them - TPMS wise - I asked at the dealership when I bought the car but they didn't seem to know just the standard answer of book it in and we will get it done for you.

Fitted the tyres and happily everything worked. After going for a short drive all of the pressures appeared.

Now we have come to spring time I have changed the tyres back to the regular tyres that came with the car - the standard Nissan tyres/wheels/tpms sensors. Fitted the wheels/tyres and it recognised that they had been changed. Went out for a drive and the tyre pressures were displayed and it gave warnings about some of the tyre pressures. No problem I thought I will stop at a petrol station and sort it out. Corrected the tyre pressures at the petrol station and now nothing is displayed for the tyre pressures. I get the light that flashes for a minute when you start the car which then turns solid.

Thought it was strange - maybe a sensor is faulty or maybe there is an issue with the TPMS IDs stored in the car. I deflated each tyre and to my surprise it brings up a warning for each tyre (I deflated each tyre one at a time and then corrected all the pressures at the end). So the car is obviously getting pressures from each wheel it is just not displaying the pressures. Which must mean the issue is with the TPMS ID stored in the car I would have thought? But if this is the issue I can't understand why it worked going from standard to winter tyres?

I looked at this unit before - http://www.ateq-tpms.com/ateq-quickset-tpms/ but they can't tell me if it will work on a UK car - they are based in the USA. Has anyone got a OBD2 programmer that works to set the TPMS IDs into the car? If I get the TPMS IDs from the sensors then I would be able to set it each time I change the wheels.

Dave

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Drive it normally and it will sort itself out within a day.
djm2

Post by djm2 »

Unfortunately I have been driving about with this light annoying me for a couple of weeks now.
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

Did you put the wheels back to their original positions? You might have to take the car in and have the system reset. Any local tyre garage should be able to do it.
djm2

Post by djm2 »

I did not mark the original wheels when I took them off. I have marked the winter wheels when I took them off.

Do you know how to reset the system yourself ie what hardware is required OBD2 or something that connects to the white TPMS connector?

David
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

djm2 wrote:I did not mark the original wheels when I took them off. I have marked the winter wheels when I took them off.

Do you know how to reset the system yourself ie what hardware is required OBD2 or something that connects to the white TPMS connector?

David
I bet that is the problem, and all i know is they connect up under the dash to reset.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Should not matter if you took them away and re-added them at a later date without the need for a trip to the dealer. You can swap them around and they will just sort themselves out.... a bit like when you put your Winters on previously. The fact that they responded, and responds to pressure differences suggests they are working.

Is it possible they just need re-calibrating rather than needing to be taken to Nissan. I am sure there is an option within the drivers menu settings where you can do this.

As far as I am aware, the only time you need to get Nissan to do anything is if you bought cheap TPMS sensors that need to be tweaked, but you can buy TPMS sensors which will already work with our cars, bung them on (as your winter tyres) and have a quick drive around.
djm2

Post by djm2 »

Yes I have found the option under settings to re calibrate the sensors and I have tried this quite a few times but this has not made any change.

I spent quite a while finding TPMS sensors/tyres and they were not the cheapest sensors.
duncho

Post by duncho »

You can enter pressure sensors' IDs to TPMS control unit with Nissan Consult III Plus software. I saw one case of the same problem you have experienced on another car, but don't know resolution yet as he was advised to visit a dealer. There is most likely an error C1734 presented which if I deleted, TPMS sensors were immediately read and displayed on centre display. The problem re-occurred by engine restart.

c1734.png

Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!

Post by alter »

Hi.
Got a similar problem when switching to winter tyres. I spend 1 week trying to sort that out. After 1 week, my wife waited inside the car with the switch on and after ca. 15-20 mins the light was off. Later on sensors began working without any problem while driving. On the manual is stated that maybe this re-recalibration (in addition to the one on the settings menu) is needed after changing tyres, but not mandatory. Hope it helps if you haven't tried it. You have to turn the switch on with or without the engine running and wait at least 15 - 20mins without moving the car as stated in the manual.
Qashqai Tekna 1.6 4x4 gunmetal