Installing A Dashcam

ICE, Equipment, Options
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

gvmdaddy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:01 am Not sure of the N-connecta, but in the Tekna that has 2 power sockets, the one in the dash is permanently live and the one in the centre console switches off a few minutes after tge ignition is turned off and comes live again when the car is unlocked.
You are correct, power socket seems to be live all the time. I just checked my dash cam recordings and it has been on all night. Unplugged it now to save my battery. Looks like I need to get it hard wired like you guys.
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine

beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

Which part of the windscreen have you guys attached your camera? When I fixed mine over the dark hatched area near the sensor, the dash cam vision was blocked by the rain sensor unit. moved it along now, but still seems to be blocked by it.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

It should be placed in a position so as to not impede vision of the road ahead. The best place is on a level with the rear view mirror, as close as possible to it but not be obstructed or cause an obstruction from your driving position.
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

beetroot42 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:29 am My dash cam is plugged into the cigarette lighter (2016 N-connecta, UK). I notice when I open the doors the dash camera comes on....does the cigarette power supply switch off when the doors are locked? (don't want to drain my battery).
I'm not sure of the timing, but even if you don't lock the car it turns the power off again after a minute or so, then if you open the door the satnav powers on again, the off after a minute or so after closing the door, and over and over gain, well that's what mine does ;)
StewartP
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by StewartP »

benchmark wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:05 pm
beetroot42 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:29 am My dash cam is plugged into the cigarette lighter (2016 N-connecta, UK). I notice when I open the doors the dash camera comes on....does the cigarette power supply switch off when the doors are locked? (don't want to drain my battery).
I'm not sure of the timing, but even if you don't lock the car it turns the power off again after a minute or so, then if you open the door the satnav powers on again, the off after a minute or so after closing the door, and over and over gain, well that's what mine does ;)
That is correct, power point under the armrest is controlled by the BCM ( Body control module) so it powers down if no further activity such as switching on the ignition or starting the engine is detected. It appears to be the same circuit that brings up the info screen between the instruments and illuminates the red lamp on the parking brake switch plus a couple of other lights. Never timed it but a minute feels about right for cycle time.
I've been running my dashcam off it for the last year without any issues. As others have commented the cigarette light power point under the heater controls is a constant live so no use unless you want to keep plugging and unplugging devices.
(2022) 2022 J12 E-Power Tekna
(2018) 2017 J11b 1.6dci Tekna X-tronic
(2015) 2015 1.5dci Tekna-non panoramic roof
JoRoSm

Post by JoRoSm »

StewartP wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:01 pm
That is correct, power point under the armrest is controlled by the BCM ( Body control module) so it powers down if no further activity such as switching on the ignition or starting the engine is detected. It appears to be the same circuit that brings up the info screen between the instruments and illuminates the red lamp on the parking brake switch plus a couple of other lights. Never timed it but a minute feels about right for cycle time.
I've been running my dashcam off it for the last year without any issues. As others have commented the cigarette light power point under the heater controls is a constant live so no use unless you want to keep plugging and unplugging devices.
What's ​your cable routing to the cubby please, the cable that came with my nextbase doesn't appear long enough.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Use the search button and you'll get the info you need. If I remember correctly you can buy longer charging cables on the web.
StewartP
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by StewartP »

JoRoSm wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:15 pm
StewartP wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:01 pm

What's ​your cable routing to the cubby please, the cable that came with my nextbase doesn't appear long enough.
I'm using a Transcend camera and from memory it uses a 2m cable, I've never actually properly fitted it, just ran it across the top of the windscreen-sitting on the visor- to the A post then along the top of the passenger door-hooked on the grab handle- before it then runs behind the passenger headrest and down into the cubby that way. It's only usually myself in car so that's probably why I've never tidied it properly. I'll maybe have a look tomorrow and see if there's enough "slack" if I try running down the A post behind the trim and along under the sill trim to the cubby that way. I see there's also a reply from gvmdaddy suggesting it may be possible to buy longer cables.
(2022) 2022 J12 E-Power Tekna
(2018) 2017 J11b 1.6dci Tekna X-tronic
(2015) 2015 1.5dci Tekna-non panoramic roof
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

Re-routed my power supply to the centre cig lighter, thanks for the heads up and advice. If I get a long enough USB-micro USB cable I guess I can route a cable to the rear of the car :)
Edit - just checked and when I open the doors the centre (under arm rest) cig lighter is live, even with doors closed it stays powered on.
Trabant Dave

Post by Trabant Dave »

I've installed my front dashcam today using S_J_P's method as modified by Hound; in addition I wrapped the camera plug and socket combo in the white foam material you often get TVs and the like wrapped in, and cable-tied it securely to the metalwork visible when you pop the side cover off. Power from the 15amp wash/wipe supply fuse with a piggyback and a 7.5amp fuse for the camera.

The camera is one of those Mini Ambarella units and has given me sterling service across three cars now!

I'll be adding a rear accessory socket in the luggage are and hard-wiring to a switched live with some capacity so I can run the rear cam (paranoid huh?) which is a Nextbase 302G , and sufficient power rating to run the chiller box too, using a splitter. When we do our 'wine runs' it generally involves buying cheeses and cold meats etc. and stocks of French butter too...................

Any suggestions as to which fuse to tap from for the additional socket chaps?

Regards

Dave