Installing A Dashcam

ICE, Equipment, Options
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Trabant Dave, be sure to let me know when your on your next jolly so that I can place my order!

beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

when my car was at the dealer yesterday, the dashcam was left on. The footage I seen was shocking. The faults they said they would fix, they did not and overheard saying "impossible to fix" (a panel that is) and then a technician saying "should go and punch him" (I presume referring to me)....
Last edited by beetroot42 on Sun May 07, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine
JoRoSm

Post by JoRoSm »

Re-routed the cable for mine the other day - across top of windscreen then across top of passenger door, down b-pillar, under passenger seat and up into cubby box. Loads of cable with standard nextview issued kit.
The Londoners
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by The Londoners »

Hi, I have recently bought a new (2017) 1.2 DigT Xtronic (Storm white); I've read through this thread but have an issue I haven't seen covered & wondered if anyone could please advise.
Firstly, I confess to no technical knowledge at all, and my husband has little more than I, so neither of us will be fitting ourselves. I have several options in terms of fitters, and am intending to buy the Nextbase 312G which I think will be adequate for my needs (Had a RAC210 but both app & software useless so am retutning for refund and pleased I trialled it before hardwiring)
I am aware of concerns about Halfords fitters so asked to have a word with the fitter at my local branch before making any decisions - he asked if my car had the stop/start CO2 feature, and advised that if so, hr wouldn't hardwire as it could damage tge dashcam.
Do any of you clever people know if this is correct, and if so whether I should just turn off this feature? If I am honest, given the nature of the journeys I make, the dashcam is more useful for me, as not. Day goes by when there's not a 'near miss' due to the thoughtless and careless driving, mainly of parents in big 4 x 4 s, dropping their (teenage) children at the school near my workplace. I had thr RAC model plugged into the console 12v and unplugged at the end of every journey - just fon't like tge dangling wire!
Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Stop/start switches off the engine, not the ignition, and as far as I remember doesn't affect my dashcam, although it's not a NextBase. You can always disable the stop/start when beginning a journey if you're concerned about the dashcam.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I'll agree with Hound's comment above, the stop/start function will make no difference to the performance of a hardwired dashcam.
Trabant Dave

Post by Trabant Dave »

and +1 from me on that - I have hardwired my two-month-old QQ's dashcam to a switched point within the fusebox; having had a 'relaxing beverage' this evening I''ll not be heading out with a torch this evening to check which fuse I hooked up to but followed instructions here implicitly and have not had any issues.....

Regards

Dave
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Unless the NextBase is particularly sensitive to the extra current draw that the re-starting engine requires, I think we must assume that the Halfrauds person is talking out of his arse.

Who'd have thought? ;)

I used Fuse #3, 5A, bottom right. Coming up for two years and it hasn't yet let out the magic smoke.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
sydswan

Post by sydswan »

Nicely done S J_P . What details with great pics and clear notes to install.

I have already installed my dash cam and did it almost identical to yours, but only very slightly.

I am also about to install a tracker device and will be doing it nearly the very same way.

Keep up the good work.

Peter, from down under.
Qashqai 2.0L Ti auto Platinum
The Londoners
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by The Londoners »

Thank you for your advice - much appreciated. To be fair to the fitter, even if he was mistaken, at least he didn't attempt to fit when he thought it may cause me problems. I'll arrange for an independent auto electrician to fit.