Installing A Dashcam

ICE, Equipment, Options
S_J_P

Post by S_J_P »

To gain access to the strap, pull away the rubber door seal (it slides over the welded seam on the door frame) from the point where the A Pillar trim meets the headlining down for around 18" down, no need to completely remove it, just expose the edge of the A Pillar trim.

Next, with your fingers under the exposed A Pillar trim top edge, pry the trim away from the door frame (it's held by green push-fit clips). Take care not to damage the fabric trim, it should pull away pretty easily. There are retaining clips at the top, centre, and bottom, but I only released the top & middle one which allows you to see behind the trim panel.

Inside you'll see a white webbing strap which is the airbag retaining strap. Pull the camera cable out from under the headlining and pass it under the strap (I.e. Between the car door frame steelwork and the strap) and then route it back under the headlining where it was before. The only change to my original route is that the cable now runs under the strap.

Clip the A Pillar trim back into place and then push the rubber seal back over the seam and you're all done.

The modification took me less than two minutes to complete.

Here's a (poor) picture of the trim (on the right), headlining (top), door frame (left) and shows the black cable routed from the rubber door seal behind the white strap (with the barcode sticker on it), you can also see the top green securing clip.

image.jpeg

Gun-Metal DiG-T 140 Tekna Arrived 19-03-19
Gun-Metal 1.2 DiG-T N-Connecta [Comfort & Heat Packs] Arrived 27-05-16

Splink

Post by Splink »

@S_J_P. Thank you for the modification guide and picture. All went well for me :P The green clips in mine seem to be of a different design. They released only when the pillar trim was pulled in the direction towards the centre vents. I also slipped the camera cable between the wiring loom and the chassis as this appeared to be a streighter path.
1.2 DIG-T Acenta 2014
Robqai

Post by Robqai »

Thank you guys your info made the job of fitting my new dash cam quick and easy.

Thank all but especially S_J_P, for the write up and great photos
jeffers for the link to video showing the removal of the glove box
Ben6279 & with ref to S_J_P with ref to the A pillar trim and airbag.

I routed the dash cam cable with the existing harness next to the windscreen under the exposed A Pillar trim.

Was and I am still a little confused over the fuse type. the NextBase hardwire kit, comes with both standard and mini auto-fuse piggyback connectors but on pulling a existing fuse out I was able to insert the provided mini auto-fuse piggyback connector. Investigating https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)
Was not sure if it is a Low-Profile Mini on the QQ. So fitted the supply mini auto-fuse piggyback connector and had to purchase a standard 15a mini fuse to fit into the piggyback connector as the existing QQ would not fit.
65 plate J11 1.5 dci Pearl black Tekna; Sill guards, Dash Cam 50+MPG (best 68 mpg)
Bluey59

Post by Bluey59 »

Thanks to all who contributed to this post,just installed nextbase 512G following the pictures and advice given here couldn't have done it without this post, cheers guys ☺
2014 Blade silver 1.5 dci NTEC
Bros

Post by Bros »

Superb sip, many thanks for sharing.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2017 Ink Blue j11 Mk2
Previously - QQ 1.5dci NTEC 2015 Black j11 Mk2
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Thanks - I read this topic a while ago but after trying to install my Prestigio 519i through to the armrest socket I found the lead too short. Unfortunately that camera got destroyed when I accidentally ran over it (having been using it on my motorbike from whence it dropped off!). After much research I bought a Nextbase 312gw in the Black Friday/Cyber Monday/whatever sale at Halfords for £84 (down 15%) and found the Nextbase lead is just sufficiently long to work. So it was fed down the pillar avoiding the airbag, into and through the glovebox and under the console trim then (exposed) up into the armrest box and plugged into a socket doubler. (Actually the lead was threaded the other way owing to the large plug) I have the socket doubler since there's a music USB stick in the USB socket and hence a double USB adaptor in the other half of the socket doubler to charge my phone(s)!

In fact the physical installation of the lead into the car was quicker than the upgrading of the camera's firmware and the pairing with my phone - haven't yet got round to pairing with my computer.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
eytch

Post by eytch »

Question from QQ 360, I've found there were 2 fuse box on my QQ. One inside the glovebox and one on the driver side. Which fuse box should I wire my dash cam?
Thanks.
eytch

Post by eytch »

Done it
OzzyQashqai

Post by OzzyQashqai »

Nice write up!

Excellent point raised about installing a "tap-a-fuse". Ensure that the "tail" of the tap-a-fuse is away from the "hot" side of the circuit. Failure to do so defeats the purpose of the fuse!

In my case, I bought an auxiliary cigarette socket (with USB) from an electronics store, secured it into the dash cavity with double sided tape and wired into the fuse box with a tap-a-fuse. Into this went the dash cam supplied cigarette power supply.

2016 Qashqai Ti 2.0 | Gun Metallic | A bit of this and that | Bumpin' sounds
scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc »

great write up - re fitting by the high street way back in 2003 I had them fit a cd mulitchanger to my brand new citroen picasso (my first canbus wired car) and the computer that controlled all majordash displays etc ceased to work - put them on written notice about liability but fortunately, before the issue had moved very far after a walk back from the local hostelry I thought 'it's a computer so how about rebooting it??' so lifted the front passenger seat under which the battery is placed, lifted off the battery clamp left it for 2 mins reattached the posi lead and lo and behold all was resolved,, never got an apology from them though
2016 1.6 xtronic tekna diesel 130 bhp
1998 4.6 v8 Range Rover petrol auto 225 bhp
2019 Skoda Citigo 1.0 sel green tech 5 dr 75 bhp
2009 Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol sport 2 door 138bhp