Installing A Dashcam

ICE, Equipment, Options
Red Rooster
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Red Rooster »

Red Rooster wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:50 pm Just to clarify on the front gearstick socket,I have proved that it is permanently live by having my Air Purifier/Ionizer ( which shows a blue light when in the socket). I have left it in, locked the car, done shopping for approx an hour and when I came back, before I unlocked the car I looked in the window and the blue light was still lit. ( Hound where are you?)
58 plate 2.0 l petrol Acenta
2016 1.6 DIG-T Ink Blue
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, Ink Blue
2024 1.3 DIG-T 160 MHEV Tekna with bose and led fog lights.Mag blue Black roof.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Red Rooster wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:52 pm
Red Rooster wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:50 pm Just to clarify on the front gearstick socket,I have proved that it is permanently live by having my Air Purifier/Ionizer ( which shows a blue light when in the socket). I have left it in, locked the car, done shopping for approx an hour and when I came back, before I unlocked the car I looked in the window and the blue light was still lit. ( Hound where are you?)
As Red Rooster was posting I was in the process of checking thecstatus of the 12v sockets.
I can confirm that the socket in the dashboard infrontbof the gearstick does indeed stay 'live' permanently.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

It's certainly permanently live on mine. I have a converter in it with USB slots and a voltage readout.

usb.jpg

It draws so little current I'm not worried about the battery going flat, especially as it's a big fat beefy Bosch.

Not sure how long it would put up with a dashcam permanently plugged in. I don't know if the NextBase will automatically shut down when a voltage level is reached, but it has "Intelligent Parking Mode" which, assuming you've enabled it, will put the dashcam into standby mode after 5 minutes of inactivity. It will power on automatically and record 2 minutes of video when physical movement of your vehicle is detected. Presumably if there's no such movement, the camera appears to be turned off.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
mtoreilly
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mtoreilly »

Hound wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 am I don't know if the NextBase will automatically shut down when a voltage level is reached, but it has "Intelligent Parking Mode" which, assuming you've enabled it, will put the dashcam into standby mode after 5 minutes of inactivity. It will power on automatically and record 2 minutes of video when physical movement of your vehicle is detected. Presumably if there's no such movement, the camera appears to be turned off.
That would explain it, thanks. I hadn’t made my way through all the settings yet, having only received it on Christmas Day and being busy with all the family gatherings over the last few days. :D

As far as the install goes, it’s still not finished. The fuse tap arrived today as expected, but what wasn’t expected was that it was a pronged micro (where the two connectors stick out rather than the 'shorter' ones (which is what the J11 fuse box needs). Of course I only realised this after stripping and attaching a bullet connector to it. So another part is now ordered.

Really disappointed and frustrated that Next Base didn’t include a micro tap with the kit, mainly because I thought I’d gone into doing this fairly well prepared but keep coming unstuck with things! Still the cabling is in, so I only need to actually plug the fuse tap in now and then it’s done.
66 QQ 1.5dci N-Connecta Pearl Black + comfort pack
Michael

Post by Michael »

I see from the fuse box diagram there’s a 15A fuse for heated seat. My car doesn’t have heated seats, so could I just plug the hardware kit straight into there? I assume it’s a switched feed? My hardware kit has a fuse fitted at the end (Pruveeo make from Amazon), and I hoped this would be an easy option?
'16 1.5dci N-Connecta, Blade Silver, bonnet struts
rickuk
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by rickuk »

I collected my new qashqai at the begining of the month and was fitting a dashcam, I plugged it into the power socket by the gear change and was doing the setup when it turned off, looked at the power adaptor in the plug and the light was off, pressed the start switch on and off and the power came back on, again after a while the power turned off again so it looks like the new cars do turn the power off to the power sockets after a set time.
Richard
2018 Qashqai N-Connecta 1.2 Dig-T 115 manual
lapalmeraie
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by lapalmeraie »

Interesting fact!
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
scotty4157
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by scotty4157 »

Brilliant write up- just waiting on the micro tap arriving to finish off the install.

Without looking like an absolute tool and I haven't got the piggyback connector to hand. Is swapping the bullet connector a pretty simple job. Can I use a connector from one with the tails that came with the next base hardwire kit and attach that onto the new micro tail?

This is the tail I'm waiting for in the post.

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 13.06.11.png

Clarky94
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Clarky94 »

i purchased the next base hard wiring kit and it only included the large and min connector - i contacted the nextbase service centre to ask if they had the micro adaptor, which they do and are more than happy to send you one out free of charge, i did suggest that they put it in the box so when you buy it you have all the options but they said they only put the popular ones in the box - so if you have the kit and need the adaptor they can be contacted on 02920 866429
Current Car Qashqai 2017 j11b 1.5dci Tekna Grey
Coming Soon Qashqai 2021 J12 Tekna 158 in Mag Blue inc Fog Lights
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

Excellent write-up.

I have had a dashcam fitted in my '14 plate J11 Qashqai Tekna for a few years powered from the central arm rest. The cable runs down the A pillar and I have only just become aware of the problem that this could cause in the event of an airbag deployment. I am therefore planning to rewire the camera to the fuse box (as per write-up) to overcome that problem and at the same time enable the dashcam parking mode to be used.

I believe I have all necessary items on order - hardwire kit (incl 12v to 5v converter), micro piggyback tap, and micro fuses. I feel confident in being able to remove the glove box (plenty of info available), likewise the wiring to the fuse panel. My only concern is the removal and replacement of the A Pillar trim. I am worried about the risk of breaking any securing clips or causing any other damage. I have been unable to find any clear photos/description on removing replacing the A Pillar trim.

Any advice/ suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks
2019 1.3 Tekna Dig-T 160 (Automatic)
2014 1.6 dCi Tekna CVT Bronze Metallic - delivered 9/7/14