Installing A Dashcam

ICE, Equipment, Options
Tango&Qash
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Tango&Qash »

S_J_P wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:15 am I recently installed a Dashcam in my J11 2016 Qashqai and thought I'd take the opportunity to show how i did it, as it might help others contemplating an install.

The Dashcam I installed was a NextBase 512G which is the upgraded version to the 402G which I have in my other car, a camera I've been pleased with so hopefully the 512G's going to equally good, if not better.

I bought the NextBase hardwire kit, only to find that whilst the kit comes with both standard and mini auto-fuse piggyback connectors, it didn't come with the micro fuse connector required for the J11 QQ, so I had to source that from eBay.
Unfortunately the eBay piggyback connector came with an inline crimp rather than a bullet connector, so that had to be cut-off and a female bullet connector crimped in its place.

It's important to know how these piggyback connectors are wired, in this image the spade at the bottom will plug into the fusebox. The hot (live) side of the fuseboard must align with the left-side terminal on the piggyback connector (the one furthest from the trailing lead). This will supply a voltage to the two left pins. Fuses are then installed between the left/right pins (one 10A fuse is shown inserted) and the load (dash cam) is connected to the right side (trailing lead) via the fuse. The accessory fuse you remove from the fuse board to accommodate the piggyback connector is reinserted into the lower fuse position. Note that if you fail to orientate the piggyback connector correctly then you can have an unfused supply to your dash cam, which isn't a good idea!

Next I ran the hardwire kit wiring. Starting at the camera location, I used a loom-band plastic needle to poke the lead behind the headlining (after ensuring I had sufficient slack at the camera to connect everything up.

When I came to the A-Pillar, I carefully separated the pillar trim from the headlining (it bends to open up a 5mm gap quite easily) and pushed the cable into the opening with the loom-band tool.

I then carefully opened the door seal (without removing it), using the loom-band tool where it was tight, and pushed the cable into the recess between the A-Pillar trim, door-frame, and rubber seal.

Before your cable routing reaches the dashboard area you'll need to tackle the glovebox and capping trim removal.

If you open the glovebox and peer inside, you'll see a small (perhaps 100mm square) fuse board cover. Since it's impractical to work though this minuscule opening you'll have to remove the glovebox.

The glovebox is located by two press-fit hinges which clip over a plastic barrel on the lower dash.
...and via two retaining lugs which locate in openings towards the top of the glovebox opening....
...and finally by the damper which makes opening the glovebox feel good....

So open the glovebox and unclip the damper arm by sliding your fingers between the glovebox and the arm and push the arm off the post protruding from the glovebox side. Next, half-close the glovebox so that the retaining lugs are mid-travel in their openings, grab the lower edge on the glovebox, and pull sharply towards you. The glovebox should then come out of it's opening (perhaps with a small twist required to disengage the retaining lugs from their grooves.

When out the glovebox looks like this....
You can see the hinge clips at the 9 o'clock position, the retaining lug at 11 o'clock. The damper bar is at the opposite end.

Now remove the dash end cap by pulling at the lower edge....

Middle....

And then hinge it away from the dash to remove.

On the inside of the dash-capping there's a fuse list. I suggest you photograph this for future reference.

Now you have full-access to everything you need, complete the cable installation from the door-trim into the void behind the dash capping. I managed to pry the hardwire kit control box between the door frame and the very flexible plastic dash end, and then secured it in place with cable ties to the metalwork behind the dash. I also tidied-up any surplus wiring, coiling it up and securing it to the metalwork alongside the control box.

Next I pulled the live and earth (red and black) cables through into the fuse board area. There's an opening between the dash end capping and the fuse board just to the rear of the glovebox opening. I secured the earth spade connector to a convenient screw on the fuse board backplate (see centre of picture). The live (red) cable is currently just hanging down.

Next I selected my chosen fuse (in my case a 15A one supplying the washer jet) and I checked that it was ignition switched and which side was hot (live). Note that in the J11 2016 QQ there's a live bus-bar across the centre of the fuse board, so the upper terminals of the lower fuses, and the lower terminals of the top row of fuses, are live.

I then fitted a 5A fuse into the dash cam supply, and reinserted the original 15A fuse into the washer supply on the new piggyback connector.

Then I plugged the piggyback connector into the vacant washer supply fuse location.

Finally I secured the dash cam cable with a tie.

After checking that everything worked (washers and dash cam) I refitted the dash end capping and glovebox, and attached the dash cam to the 'screen.

All's done :D

A couple of thoughts:
I'm not sure of the rating of the eBay piggyback connector so I stuck it on an infrequently used and medium (not high) power device.
I wouldn't piggyback onto a low power circuit, as whilst the dash cam is itself low power (approx 1.5A max.), a 1.5A increase on a 5A max circuit is a greater percentage than it is on a 15A circuit, and I'm not sure how generous Nissan has been with it's SWG's!
Where I've fitted the piggyback connector it overlaps the adjacent fuses, a better position may have been the 20A blower (but higher power and more frequent usage, see point above), or one of the spare fuses - however I found that the spares were permanently live. This would be ideal if you were after having the camera permanently recording.

I hope this write-up is of use to someone.
Excellent this I've been looking for ideas how to do this I'm sick of plugging and unplugging the bloody thing, and the wife keeps leaving it on! Thanks so much.
66 Nissan QQ 1.6dci Tekna 4x4 Gun metal grey

Red Rooster
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Red Rooster »

Just a query on dash cam. My dash cam battery loses its own power after a couple of days ( loses date and time settings ) so I take it in when I leave the car to charge it up indoors. Can I leave it plugged in to the cigarette lighter socket ( as its live all the time) with dash cam switched on say for a couple of days? Comments welcome please.
58 plate 2.0 l petrol Acenta
2016 1.6 DIG-T Ink Blue
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, Ink Blue
2024 1.3 DIG-T 160 MHEV Tekna with bose and led fog lights.Mag blue Black roof.
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

I have mine just plugged in and wondered if it stayed on all the time. I went out to check after 10 mins and it was off.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Never really checked in 4years of ownership as I don’t plug anything into the 12v sockets. However, reading the owners manual indicates that the socket in the armrest shuts off 15mins after shutting the ignition off, and the socket on the dashboard stays permanently live even after shutting the ignition off. I’ll check now and confirm later.
Red Rooster

Post by Red Rooster »

I have already checked the sockets and the armrest one shuts off after about 10mins, and the one by the gearstick is permanently live.........soooo wondering if I can keep it plugged in even when I leave the car overnight or a couple of days?
2016 1.6 DIG-T Ink Blue
Deleted User 3720

Post by Deleted User 3720 »

This has been discussed here and elsewhere...the answer is YES but depending on how much power the camera draws and how long it's left without car starting apparently it could leave you with a flat battery.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I would agree with jeffers.
Red Rooster

Post by Red Rooster »

Hmmm Thanks for the replies guys, think I will still take it out to recharge then.
2016 1.6 DIG-T Ink Blue
mtoreilly
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mtoreilly »

First, thanks for the excellent guide. Having discovered the next base hardware kit didn’t fit when I went to fit mine this morning, I then found this guide and will be using it tomorrow, as soon as the micro fuse tap arrives in the post (I couldn’t find any instores either, fortunately amazon prime to the rescue!)

Re: the power socket in front of the gearstick - I’ve got my 512gw plugged in there at the moment and have been leaving it plugged in. I’m confused about it being permanently live, tough, because every time I’ve gone into the car the last few days it’s been off until I unlock and open the door, when I see it come on. That suggests to me it can’t be permanently live, otherwise surely it would already be on before I get to the car? At the same time, it’s hard to see that everyone here is wrong about it! Hence the confusion...
66 QQ 1.5dci N-Connecta Pearl Black + comfort pack
Red Rooster

Post by Red Rooster »

Just to clarify on the front gearstick socket,I have proved that it is permanently live by having my Air Purifier/Ionizer ( which shows a blue light when in the socket). I have left it in, locked the car, done shopping for approx an hour and when I came back, before I unlocked the car I looked in the window and the blue light was still lit.
2016 1.6 DIG-T Ink Blue