Key system fault and steering wheel image

ICE, Equipment, Options
KC15LAY

Post by KC15LAY »

A little over 6 months, things started going wrong with my 65 reg 1.6 DiG-T N-Tec+. On entering my QQ, the usual message is displayed in the instrument panel: DEPRESS CLUTCH/PUSH START BUTTON. On doing so, the message changes to: WARNING - KEY SYSTEM FAULT. Repeating this process, the message then changes to an image of a STEERING WHEEL/PUSH START BUTTON. The exact same message is displayed every time when attempting to start the car. At first, if I left it for an hour or so, I could start the car. Five weeks ago however, the car kept displaying the same message every day for the next two weeks. I then had my QQ sent to a Nissan Dealership in Dumbarton and there it has stayed for almost three weeks now. Despite the car starting every time, the IPDM was replaced as I believe another fault was found. Since then, the car continues to start every time, with no warning messages whatsoever.

Two weeks ago, someone came to collect my car from the dealership to take it for valeting. After being parked up for a while, waiting for a free bay to become available, an attempt to move the car was made! You guessed it! The fault appeared and the car would not start. The dealership were informed and the car was transported back to their garage. A mechanic attempted to start the car by the usual process (and guess what) it started. Now over a week from when this happened, the car has started every time.

I believe that the key fob batteries and the main car battery have been checked (and even replaced although not faulty), but the fault still hasn't happened while in the garage. The Technical Team at Nissans Head Office have also been involved, but in trying to replicate the intermittent fault, the car is not showing any fault codes.

I have seen two other occasions of this (one on this forum) but have yet to find out whether a cure for this has been found. I am now concerned that my car may be returned in its intermittent faulty state. Does anyone have any clues as to what this fault could be and how to fix it?

When my QQ gets returned to me, if the fault happens again, What should I do? I have taken several photos of both messages displayed in the instrument panel with the mileage showing a mere 4596 miles. Not good for a new car!

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Not much help im afraid, but if the condition cant be reproduced by your mechanics it seems to me to be something you yourself are doing inadvertently wrong.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Ensure your key isn't in same packet as a mobile or any other (wireless) remote device you may have on you.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
TRON2

Post by TRON2 »

Had a similar problem with my qashai. Would press the button on the door to open up, but nothing happened. Would happen randomly, same with the engine start process. I did eventually find out that the little 'clubcard' tags you keep on your keyring were blocking the signal. I have 3 tags on my keyring, all together, so they tended to get in the way of the signal. Once i removed all the tags to another bunch of keys the problem went away. It might be something to check if it happens again.
Tronlegacy
KC15LAY

Post by KC15LAY »

gvmdaddy wrote:Not much help im afraid, but if the condition cant be reproduced by your mechanics it seems to me to be something you yourself are doing inadvertently wrong.
So what you're saying is, it's me, my wife, the vehicle recovery person and the car cleaner chap. Sounds unlikely!
KC15LAY

Post by KC15LAY »

Gel wrote:Ensure your key isn't in same packet as a mobile or any other (wireless) remote device you may have on you.
Done that and it makes no difference.
KC15LAY

Post by KC15LAY »

TRON2 wrote:Had a similar problem with my qashai. Would press the button on the door to open up, but nothing happened. Would happen randomly, same with the engine start process. I did eventually find out that the little 'clubcard' tags you keep on your keyring were blocking the signal. I have 3 tags on my keyring, all together, so they tended to get in the way of the signal. Once i removed all the tags to another bunch of keys the problem went away. It might be something to check if it happens again.
I only have one house key on the same keyring as the car key.
sw77

Post by sw77 »

Did you ever get this fixed? I had it last week and Nissan said it was all fine. Had it again tonight but what I have noticed is that when I switch the car off the steering wheel does it lock. I wonder if this is the problem? I didn’t get the key or management error just start button and steering wheel icon.
Acenta premium 1.5d
Darren-65
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Darren-65 »

Has anyone got to the bottom of what caused the problem outlined in the original post. My wife's car has been parked up unused for three months. Unsurprisingly, the car battery went flat over that time. It's now been charged, but on trying to start the car I get the message "WARNING - KEY SYSTEM FAULT". Trying again, I get the image of a STEERING WHEEL (indication to move it) and PUSH START BUTTON. I've wiggled the steering wheel while trying to start the car, but nothing happens. Research so far seems to suggest a fault with the steering lock not disengaging. Any help or advice greatly appreaciated.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I've noticed this "loss of key comms" over the 4 years I have had my car...very, very seldom though. I put the infrequency of this comms loss down to ad hoc data corruption. But things can get worse largely due to complexity IMO..as below.

I think you can replicate the comms loss by starting the car and taking the key about 5 yards away (leave it there) and checking the dash messaging.

When the loss of key comms message appears that primarily shows the NATS security is looking for the key ID...periodically. Polling

There are two modes of operation of the key fob:

1. External antenna pickup..door release/locking at about 50 yds
2. Internal antenna pickup...key verification for starting within the car cabin.

I believe the problem in this post is about internal antenna pickup and associated Key ID verification...failure in this system stops the car starting and fails steering release.

The Key ID function apart from the Key Fob itself is controlled in conjunction with both the Body Control Module (BCM) and ECU. See system diagram below

That diagram shows multiple sub units and functions which have a considerable number of DTCs (Error Codes) related to them. Nissan also supplies Intermittent fault procedure within the workshop diagnostic documents. I cannot suggest the fault as there is much involved but Nissan should check everything on the diagram and which would use their special diagnosis and test tool called CONSULT.

If Nissan local are charging you money and failing I suggest you call/email Nissan Customer Services UK...complain.

Nissan suggest this procedure when starting gets awkward:
Have you tried pressing the rear of the Key Fob on the Start Button also pressing down brake and clutch. Starting consists of BCM checking the status of the following functions:

• When starting the engine, the BCM monitors under the engine start conditions,
CVT models
- Brake pedal operation condition
- Selector lever position
- Vehicle speed
M/T models
- Clutch pedal operation condition
- Vehicle speed
Vehicle speed: less than 4 km/h (2.5 MPH)

I suspect the door switches in the diagram also include the bonnet switch? Its difficult to determine whether you experience a mechanical or electric/electronic problem really.

Scr.png

Last edited by calnorth on Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta