Battery. Should I be worried?

ICE, Equipment, Options
Deleted User 3720

Post by Deleted User 3720 »

I'm being lazy as tried forum search and there are hundreds (well, a lot) of posts regarding batteries failing in less than 12 months and I remember reading it was one particular make. So I am posting a pic of mine hoping someone can identify whether this is the type that is a dud.

Coming up for a year of use now with no problems but I rarely use the stop/start - the first thing I disable when I start up. I have done so since day one.. or as soon as I found the switch to do so. :lol:

2017-03-10 13.50.20.jpg

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Jeffers, your Battery is exactly the same as we had installed in our QQ when New in Aug 2014. This Battery never let us down even when standing for 9 weeks during holidays. We had a recent problems with the Electronics - Beeping Alarm Front etc and our Dealer said it was the Battery and it was changed recently, but not for a Battery failure - Dave ;)

viewtopic.php?f=268&t=1713&hilit=Fiamm+Battery+number
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

In contrast to Dave, that's the one that died in my July 2015 QQ. Showed signs of impending failure in less than a year and was toast in 16 months. You've probably done the right thing switching off the start/stop!

Nice RAC man fitted a Bosch AGM battery instead.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Deleted User 3720

Just pot luck then it seems. I'll just keep going and be aware that a battery failure is a possibility if the car starts playing up.

EDIT P.S. . thanks for the link in daveberlin post....that was what I was looking for
samovar

Post by samovar »

I have a early J11 (just passed its MOT!). I had the same battery and it was fine...The car was up to 20K miles. Then a month ago, it began to be sluggish to start and the same week it suddenly would not start at all. Called out Nissan Assistance (free with warranty and in fact it is RAC). They came, tested battery, emailed me and my dealer with report to say battery cell had failed (75% charge capacity) and jump-started me so I could get to the dealer. Replaced under warranty in 1 hour. Just watch out for the first signs that all is not well and take action ! I was lucky that I was able to drive to dealer straight off and that it was at home when it failed.
The RAC guy said that ECO type cars place a great load on batteries as they fire up and then, to save fuel, start to shut things down once the engine is humming (like the actuator? he mentioned some internal parts of the engine that I had heard of but forget...). This means that whether stop/start is used or not, the car is in fact drawing a highly variable current from the battery and will reveal any manufacturing 'lack of quality'. The RAC was extremely enthusiastic about the modern engine/computer developments....
1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium 2014 Ink Blue
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

My Mini Coupe with a 2.0 diesel lump in it has a stop / start system. The battery and car are now 5 years old & its not had a single problem, well apart from a lot of the rear internal trim rattling. So for me, problems manifest when cars are put together with poor design, engineering or poor parts as in the batteries NISSAN use.
samovar wrote:I have a early J11 (just passed its MOT!). I had the same battery and it was fine...The car was up to 20K miles. Then a month ago, it began to be sluggish to start and the same week it suddenly would not start at all. Called out Nissan Assistance (free with warranty and in fact it is RAC). They came, tested battery, emailed me and my dealer with report to say battery cell had failed (75% charge capacity) and jump-started me so I could get to the dealer. Replaced under warranty in 1 hour. Just watch out for the first signs that all is not well and take action ! I was lucky that I was able to drive to dealer straight off and that it was at home when it failed.
The RAC guy said that ECO type cars place a great load on batteries as they fire up and then, to save fuel, start to shut things down once the engine is humming (like the actuator? he mentioned some internal parts of the engine that I had heard of but forget...). This means that whether stop/start is used or not, the car is in fact drawing a highly variable current from the battery and will reveal any manufacturing 'lack of quality'. The RAC was extremely enthusiastic about the modern engine/computer developments....
Deleted User 3720

I appears that I should have been worried as this morning went to start up and lots of dashboard instrument panel lights + clicking sounds but no startty uppy :shock: no indication of problems just died on me overnight. Called RAC on the warranty and they tested and indicated battery failure. (16 months old with stop/start mostly turned off) Prior to them coming the guy phoned me to say he would be about an hour as he was going to pick up a new battery. Seems he was certain what the problem would be before even seeing it.

Fortunate for me it happened at home and no particular urgent need of the car. Could have been a lot worse. I'm thinking I ought to look into getting a spare wheel now as would hate to be miles from home with a puncture.