Using Mobile as a SatNav device could lead to prosecution

ICE, Equipment, Options
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

From today's Daily Telegraph:

24 AUGUST 2017 • 9:00PM
Motorists who use their mobile phones as SatNavs risk being banned
from driving, police chiefs have warned, as millions prepare to take to the roads for the big Bank Holiday getaway.

Tough new penalties, which came into force in April, were intended to
clampdown on drivers using their phones to make calls and send text messages while at the wheel.

But as the Bank Holiday exodus gets underway, drivers are being warned
that the strict laws around mobile phones, also extend to using them as SatNavs.

While it is not illegal to use a navigation app on a handheld device, drivers do
face prosecution if they touch the handset while at the wheel.

The maximum penalty has doubled, with offenders now facing a £200 fine
and six points, or even disqualification if they had held their licence for less than two years.

Police chiefs are warning motorists that even pressing the screen momentarily, to change
route is an offence.

Presumably that could apply when touching the Connect Screen or that of a Tom Tom for example.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

RVW

Post by RVW »

So what is being said is if I change radio channels via the touch screen on my connect system it's an offence? Or change the heat settings on the dash? Open or close your window etc etc the list goes on. All of these require you to momentarily do something other than look straight ahead. What a load of tosh!
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

RVW wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:25 am So what is being said is if I change radio channels via the touch screen on my connect system it's an offence? Or change the heat settings on the dash? Open or close your window etc etc the list goes on. All of these require you to momentarily do something other than look straight ahead. What a load of tosh!
No it says a mobile phone, you can quite happily make changes to the inbuilt equipment. Although if something happened as a result of you been distracted say changing the audio settings if proved you could be liable driving without due care etc.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Well it Looks like the Laws are beginning to get very tight, but I can understand the comments about pressing for example the Nissan Connect System which is a similiar distraction in IMHO - eyes off the road. At least the Mobile Navi's are normally positioned higher on the Air Con Ducting or on the Screen - Interesting Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

The law specifically says mobile phones.... I think what they maybe trying to get at is that some people may not use them in mounts and have them propped up or held in their hand which is an incredibly dangerous thing to do!

There is a law for carelessness and not being in full control of the car which *Could* be used for those mauling with the connect but chances are it wont be used unless you cause a collision.