Rear passenger Interior light Faulty problem

ICE, Equipment, Options
thecurryman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by thecurryman »

Hi all, newbie here, just got my first QQ at the weekend and one of my interior rear units is not working, I have swapped bulbs and units over and worked out is is one of the units at fault. However looking at them is it normal to have this writing over them? looks a bit suspect to me. The car is 2014.
Please see attached pictures

2017-08-30 20.40.06.jpg

2017-08-30 20.40.18.jpg

Bob d

Post by Bob d »

Mine are just the same, Looks like some over enthusiastic quality control from a cottage industry supplier, every single part of the assembly seems to have been examined....... shame yours has failed though :(
J11 QQ N-Tec+ 1.5 DCi Magnetic Red
Iandee

Post by Iandee »

I had this problem before my warranty ran out. I assumed it was just the bulb but Dealers replace the whole unit -twice- saying the bulbs we're unobtainable! Seems it's quicker and easier to change the whole thing.
Ian Dee
1.2 petrol manual Acenta Premium Dig-T Reg May 2014, Magnetic Red. bought Feb 2015.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

They are talking out of their asses. The bulbs are standard throughout the car industry (festoon Bulb)http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... RoQAvD_BwE. The only thing that is happening quicker here, is your wallet emptying.

Iandee wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:49 pm I had this problem before my warranty ran out. I assumed it was just the bulb but Dealers replace the whole unit -twice- saying the bulbs we're unobtainable! Seems it's quicker and easier to change the whole thing.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

30mm festoon bulbs are usually 10W, not the 8W type fitted to the QQ - so they are a comparative rarity (a bit like the weird 16w reversing light bulbs). Luckily, since the units were changed before the warranty ran out, no wallet-emptying occurred.

As for the unit itself, not much can go wrong - it's just positive and negative tracks and a switch. If it's definitely not a bulb, then contact corrosion is most likely cause, followed by internal switch contacts or (unlikely) a broken or shorted track. Everything's visible, so easily checked.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

The great thing about most, if not all bulbs is that you can replace the incandescent type for LED. You use less power (car electrical power is not free) and you can choose from many colours and wattage / lumens.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Yep - with the original asthmatic Fiamm battery in mind, I replaced all my internal bulbs for LEDs. W5Ws in the front and COB-strip festoons at the back. All in warm white to look more original; I find the cold white ones too harsh for the interior. Boot light is LED too.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
brianpals

Post by brianpals »

Both of my rear internal lights have gone. One wouldn't work when I bought the car in January and the other was intermittently working for a while. Over the summer, of course, they were a low priority for fixing, but now that's different.
I have taken the bulbs out and they look OK, and they seem to show a small resistance using a very basic test-meter.
I have a few questions, if I may:
  • Are these units prone to not working?
    How can I check the action of the rocker switch?
    Where can I obtain the above mentioned LED types?
    Do the LEDs completely fit inside the current housing, and so need to use the current rocker switch, or do they totally replace the original unit?
Thanks in anticipation of any answers that you may give.
Brian
Stevept

Post by Stevept »

Just purchased my 65 plate qashqai and have the same problem with both rear interior lights. Both bulbs are working I think it's the contacts for the rocker switch as you have to keep your finger on the switch for the light to stay on. Is there a fix for this or will both units need to be replaced. No doubt an expensive part from nissan!
Any help greatly appreciated
Stevept

Post by Stevept »

Update took the interior lights out unfortunately they are a sealed unit. So need to be replaced, surprisingly not that expensive from Nissan £22 Inc vat. Not a priority at the moment as no small kids sitting in the back.