ESP off and Anti Slip on (possibly steering sensor?)

ICE, Equipment, Options
pablocullen
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by pablocullen »

Hello!

First time poster, but been using this forum for a few months now debugging my Qashqai issues, huge thanks!

I have a j10b 2012 facelift that i bought Cat-C. Airbag had not been deployed and only had a few dents in the bodywork. The steering wheel squib cable had been snapped when i bought it and it had a airbag warning light on.

I had the squib repaired and replaced it, no more airbag light but after i completed the work the ESP off light and Anti slip light then came on (previously not on).

Ive had a auto-electrician look at resetting it, he reported that no matter what he did it would just keep throwing a fault. When i start the car the lights are not on, only when i turn the wheel a few degrees does it actually illuminate.

Could this be a faulty steering angle sensor? I dont believe i damaged it upon removal from the squib (3 screws off and on) but they may be very delicate. The part is hard to find so i'm having to ring around a few breakers for quotes (Nissan wants £600 + vat) but im unsure this will fix it as Nissan said its probably the squib.

The problem i have with that theory is the squib is not involved in the electrical circuit of the steering angle sensor, it is a separate connector which is independent.

Any advice is great appreciated, should i just replace the steering angle sensor? Should i look elsewhere?

Thanks!

Paul

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

You need to get the fault codes read, it helps a lot. You can do this yourself very cheaply also. Search forums, lots on it.
pablocullen wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:49 pm Hello!

First time poster, but been using this forum for a few months now debugging my Qashqai issues, huge thanks!

I have a j10b 2012 facelift that i bought Cat-C. Airbag had not been deployed and only had a few dents in the bodywork. The steering wheel squib cable had been snapped when i bought it and it had a airbag warning light on.

I had the squib repaired and replaced it, no more airbag light but after i completed the work the ESP off light and Anti slip light then came on (previously not on).

Ive had a auto-electrician look at resetting it, he reported that no matter what he did it would just keep throwing a fault. When i start the car the lights are not on, only when i turn the wheel a few degrees does it actually illuminate.

Could this be a faulty steering angle sensor? I dont believe i damaged it upon removal from the squib (3 screws off and on) but they may be very delicate. The part is hard to find so i'm having to ring around a few breakers for quotes (Nissan wants £600 + vat) but im unsure this will fix it as Nissan said its probably the squib.

The problem i have with that theory is the squib is not involved in the electrical circuit of the steering angle sensor, it is a separate connector which is independent.

Any advice is great appreciated, should i just replace the steering angle sensor? Should i look elsewhere?

Thanks!

Paul
pablocullen
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by pablocullen »

Hi

I managed to get this resolved by replacing the entire squib and steering position sensor with a used one from a well known auction website.

As soon as i started the car the light went out and MOT was passed! thanks for the guidance.

To anyone replacing the squib, make sure you have it centered (count the turns) and center the steering wheel again by counting the turns before fitting, this way you ensure you don't tear the cable.

All the best

Paul