Trickle Charging

ICE, Equipment, Options
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

My QQ is now in it's 4th year and it has just 9000 miles on the clock.
My original battery was replaced under warranty by RAC call out about 18 months ago.

My question is this. Due to the little I use the car and with winter fast approaching is there anything I need to be aware of when I decide to put the battery (still connected to the vehicle) on trickle charge? Is it as simple as +ve to +ve and negative lead to chassis of the car? I ask because of the problems with the vehicles charging system that I have read about.

When I use the car I always try to remember to switch off the SS system. I don't always remember though and I'd like to know from those that have tried it if the bonnet switch sensor 'mod' is safe and effective.

Thank you.
2019 1.3 Tekna Dig-T 160 (Automatic)
2014 1.6 dCi Tekna CVT Bronze Metallic - delivered 9/7/14

david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Mine set off alarm but its easy to do if it works for you but with as little miles as you do you can control with your driving style when you stop in traffic....it needs everything on to work....ie. handbrake
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
david sunderland

Try to get a charger that plugs into cigar lighter for easy use Aldi had a solar one for £20 a few months ago
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

Thanks David.
I usually use the S/S switch so perhaps I will stay with that rather than mess about with the bonnet switch.
I have a CPL-2054 battery charger that I purchased in Aldi some months ago. I just want to know if there is anything I need to be aware of before connecting it. I ask because I am wondering if there is any special way of charging the Enhanced Flooded Battery. I have a mains supply close to the car so a supply is no problem.

These modern cars are no fun. I used to enjoy spending my weekends balancing my twin SU Carbs and adjusting contact breaker points etc. Not much a DIYer can do these days. I couldn't even change my rear discs and pads because a computer was needed to release and reset the electronic parking brake.
2019 1.3 Tekna Dig-T 160 (Automatic)
2014 1.6 dCi Tekna CVT Bronze Metallic - delivered 9/7/14
david sunderland

Don't know.....over to the experts.....