Distance to Empty - Completely Inaccurate?!?!

ICE, Equipment, Options
Probe
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Probe »

Hello and welcome to everyone, first post for me...

I've just bought a brand new TI (Auto) in Perth, Australia and whenever I take it for short trip, let's say 10Km, the distance to empty would drop by more than double the amount of the actual trip itself (ie a 10KM trip would see the DTE go from 340 to 320). This is city driving, so lots of stop starts and yes, the air con is on but even the dealer agreed the figures didn't add up (I've taken photo's etc). Incidentally the dealer has been great and asked me to monitor over the next couple of days before bringing it in.

I bought it new with only 13Km's on the clock and so the bumper to bumper warranty will cover. It doesn't seem like a consumption problem as the fuel gauge 'appears' to accurate, certainly not depleting at the rate of the DTE display.

Has anyone had this problem before or heard of it? If so, what steps were taken to fix it and did it take a long time. I'm hoping it's a simple recalibration issue or a reset button that can be pressed somewhere?!?! Other than that, the car is fantastic.

Cheers

Probe

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

The DTE is very temperamental, it uses your current MPG reading to work out how many miles left based on how many gallons left, and as the MPG reading goes up and down, so will the DTE.

I've had it say 200 miles to empty, doing city driving so MPG is low, then go on a motorway run for 30 miles and it's actually gone up by the end of my journey to 210 or something.

Also recently when it said 60 miles to empty, I thought I'd reset my trip counter to see how many miles I really got, and after I'd done about 40 it was saying 5 miles to empty.

I just ignore it now, it's never been accurate in any car I've owned, looking at the physical fuel gauge and getting an idea of how many miles you have left for each notch on the gauge is always the best way.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
switchback

Post by switchback »

I sounds like it's perfectly normal and accurate to me................................It's been covered here a few times.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3664&p=35522&hilit=fuel#p35522
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Same as switchback above. It’s normal and is accurate. The distance to empty figure fluctuates with driving style and consumption. Watch it on some longer runs and you’ll even see the figure go up and not down as you would expect.
Probe
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Probe »

Thanks guys, guess I was jut being paranoid. Gauge wins.