Phone can’t dial out from voice button

ICE, Equipment, Options
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gvmdaddy, just out of interest (or being Nosey 🤥) did you question the Dealer on the Lack of the “Hands Free” on the Micra (or QQ) as what was stated on this other post (page 1) - Thanks Dave :)

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6155&hilit=Micra+Apple+Air+Play
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

To be honest Dave, no we didn’t. My daughters not bothered about it. I may ask when I get the customer satisfaction survey through. There’s a couple of things I want to try first.
nick99

Post by nick99 »

The good news for anyone who really needs to make hands free calls from a J11B is that it is possible. The bad news is that you need a Windows phone that is enabled for “Hey Cortana”. The most common models in the UK are Lumia 950, 950 XL, 930, or 1520.

Cortana, the Windows digital assistant on these models can be activated while the phone is still in standby. This is needed to initiate the call “hands free” so that phone does the work not the car. After the dialling process starts the Bluetooth in the car takes over and the conversation is relayed via the Qashqai speakers in the normal way.
2017 J11B Tekna+ 1.2 petrol
Devilrex
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Devilrex »

So if the phone does the work then that doesn’t mean the handsfree in the car is working.
Also Nissan advertise a list of compatible phones to their Nissan connect crap and the phones I have used are within that list.
I bought this car knowing it works, there was no agreement that I must buy a windows phone and that I WONT be doing as I have already been ‘had” for a faulty car.
So Nissan can refund me as they have misled me (and many others) they have lied about this car and still continue and they have failed to give me (and others) what we have paid for.
My fight will be over when I get my money back, as I have NO desire for a replacement or a repair now, I simply do not want to be delaying with a corrupt company.
Den123

Post by Den123 »

Think it’s time to contact watch dog on tv. Nice bit of publicity for Nissan
Pure RedQ

Post by Pure RedQ »

Just went through this whole thread again. Fathers Day so enjoying the lie in! Realised that I've but used the handsfree to make a call for ages. I 've conditioned myself to make/start calls before I move off or wait for stop at the lights and so on. The handsfree worked initially them stopped once I'd changed phones. I had a Nexus when I first git the car. I niw have Huawei and an LG phone and the handsfree calling via ok Google no longer works of using the steering controls. Oddly of you use the phone to initiate the Ok Google function everything works fine through the speakers! Including which contact to call or compose text to send. My question though ôa broader issue is why we appear in the UK, Australia and many parts of Europe to be short changed un this way technology wise? In North America even base models of differing manufacturers get much of this standard or as an optional add on. The Rogue Sport by all accounts has this feature but is thesame bloody car. And don't 6 get me started on Android Auto or Apple Car Play; even European manufacturers (mainland)have been including that functionality but we in the UK wait years then pay extra for stuff they've had in other parts of the world years. In thecase of Nissan are they cutting or holding back tech fir cost saving or is it something more sinister? Final point. What's thedeal with maps? A friend of mine just bought a used Ford top range but I can't recall the model. Mondeo perhaps! Only a year old. Nit only are the maps up to date but they are broadcast linked and online via either the car or her phones 4G connection. Reliable and up to date. I actually love the QQ but get a little agitated when you see these things implemented easily as standard elsewhere but seemingly deemed unnecessary for the rest of us. At my next vehicle upgrade I will for the first Time in 15 years seriously consider other brands AND test all the tech.
For the record I'm one of those that uses every gadget a car comes with and have also whinged about the handsfree issues but life gets in the way
nick99

Post by nick99 »

Devilrex wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:15 pm So if the phone does the work then that doesn’t mean the handsfree in the car is working.
Clearly.
I posted what I did in response to your original post requesting ideas for a work round for the problem. I've always thought that forums such as this one are primarily to help one another. I didn't have the Nokia 930 that is required so I took the chance and bought a second hand one for £50 as, after doing some research, I was sure it would work. It does and I can now make "hands free" calls. Okay, the in car hands free doesn't work as advertised but the end result is the same. Also my blood pressure doesn't suffer over something that I have no chance of changing so for me it's a win win situation.
2017 J11B Tekna+ 1.2 petrol
Galriad

Post by Galriad »

nick99 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:17 pm The good news for anyone who really needs to make hands free calls from a J11B is that it is possible. The bad news is that you need a Windows phone that is enabled for “Hey Cortana”. The most common models in the UK are Lumia 950, 950 XL, 930, or 1520.

Cortana, the Windows digital assistant on these models can be activated while the phone is still in standby. This is needed to initiate the call “hands free” so that phone does the work not the car. After the dialling process starts the Bluetooth in the car takes over and the conversation is relayed via the Qashqai speakers in the normal way.
The same functionality is available on an iPhone using “hey Siri”. But as I mentioned everything needs to be off and not much road noise. It’s the phone that is doing the work as the wake up then connects the phone to the microphone. It looks as if Nissan uk are doing this across the range as someone posted that their micra wouldn’t connect to the hands free function. To me this is a safety issue as you now can’t do what you used to without taking your eyes off the road. The BS given to me by the directors office is worrying as I think this is a prelude to this functionality being taken out of all models in favour of things like propilot. I have also written to Auto Express, but no reply.
Second QQ J11b 1.5 Tekna in Magnetic Red.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

In the UK you can alsso report it to VOSA - the more people that do, the better

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and- ... ety-defect
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Galriad wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:50 pm
nick99 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:17 pm The good news for anyone who really needs to make hands free calls from a J11B is that it is possible. The bad news is that you need a Windows phone that is enabled for “Hey Cortana”. The most common models in the UK are Lumia 950, 950 XL, 930, or 1520.

The same functionality is available on an iPhone using “hey Siri”. But as I mentioned everything needs to be off and not much road noise. It’s the phone that is doing the work as the wake up then connects the phone to the microphone. It looks as if Nissan uk are doing this across the range as someone posted that their micra wouldn’t connect to the hands free function. To me this is a safety issue as you now can’t do what you used to without taking your eyes off the road. The BS given to me by the directors office is worrying as I think this is a prelude to this functionality being taken out of all models in favour of things like propilot. I have also written to Auto Express, but no reply.
Just had the chance to play around in my daughters Micra. After reading her owners manual it appears that the steering wheel buttons can be used to make a call but only if the cars entertainment system has integrated Apple CarPlay and this is not standard across the range on the Nissan Connect head units, it’s limited to Special Edition models at the moment.
You CAN make hands free calls on the standard Connect head unit if you use an iPhone. I’ve noticed it’s slightly different to how it’s described above.
First of all you need to enable ‘Hey Siri’ in your phones settings.
The phone MUST be connected to the cars USB socket.
There is no need to press any buttons at all to start a call, just say ‘Hey Siri’. After a few seconds you will get the familiar double Apple beep tone through the car speakers.
Then just say ‘Phone xxx’ and the call will be made.
The radio can be either on or off, same with the satnav or just the map.
I’ve not tried it with anything plugged into the aux socket as I’ve nothing to plug in.
Bluetooth can be enabled or not, it doesn’t matter.
You can receive calls using Bluetooth and the steering wheel buttons, but to make a call totally hands free the phone must be plugged into the USB.
I’m sure it uses the cars microphone completely as I’ve had the phone in pockets, the glovebox and I’ve even put it under a cushion and sat on it and it still listens for the ‘Hey Siri’ command to make a call. I’ve done exactly the same with the phone not plugged into the USB but just on Bluetooth and ‘Hey Siri’ won’t even work directly on the phone until you disable the Bluetooth.
I did note however, the first time I tried it the phones volume inside the car was so low you couldn’t hear it and needed turning up to around 25 or so to be easily audible. This volume is entirely independent from the radio volume.
I don’t have an Android or Windows phone to see if they will work the same way.