Phone can’t dial out from voice button

ICE, Equipment, Options
garythesnail
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by garythesnail »

(newly registered in the UK just to join in with this fault .. grab a coffee, its a long one)

Received my new qashqai (n-connecta) on the 24th Jan and I too have been having the same issues with the voice control.

For history sakes I have also had both of the previous models ( J10 QQ+2 n-tec+, J11 QQ n-connecta ) and both of them worked fine. The only issue was when they took off the voice tags from the J10 and made it call via google, but this was my phone needing an update.

So on ordering this one, I asked 'Does it have all the same toyus as the last one (J11 v1)?' .. 'Yes apart from the panoramic roof (now an option)' but on picking it up I noticed I couldnt voice activate. I took it to the dealer the next morning and the salesman said 'QQ's dont have voice control', my answer 'My last two did' .. 'Did they .. I didnt know they had it!' ... oh dear, but as the salesman has to know bits about the many cars, I'll let that one slide.

I asked for a service tech to assist .. he said 'They dont have it on the QQ' .. 'My last two did' .. 'Oh ..' he said he had worked there five years and didnt know about the voice control at all. 'I'll ring another tech' .. this tech also had not heard of the voice control on QQ's at all. A second tech was called and finally he said 'Yes, they should have it' (hooray!! .. A believer!). He continued to unpair my android phone, repair and still to no avail. He then starts with the 'Normally works better on Apple' spiel and continues to pair his own phone .. did exactly the same .. 'Thats not working' he said. So, according to him he is going to get in touch with Nissan regarding this issue.

I too had to point out the text in the manual to the salesman, techhy one and two with number three reading it for himself as if to verify what he already knew.

Yesterday (Friday) the salesman rings me up saying he cant get the one in the showroom (J11 v2) to work so I told him to try it in a J10 or J11v1 .. havent had a call back but am guessing by that that it worked for him!

I am not going to let this lie as I too think its a major step backwards for safety and if I hear anything back, I will let you all know straight away.
Previous Qashqai's ... all 1.5Dci:
J10 N-tec+ QQ+2 (UK 61 plate)
J11A N-tec+ (UK 64 plate)
Current car - J11B N-connecta (UK 67 plate)

FrankieB

Post by FrankieB »

Hey GarytheSnail,

Literally identical story aside from I didn't have previous models but I read that the previous models had voice control.

I received my car in October and after going back and forward with Nissan HQ - Managing Directors office and Glyn Hopkins dealership Chelmsford I finally got a £50 lovetoshop voucher from them 'for the inconvenience' - It was a very he said, she said argument and at the end of the day I didn't think I was going to get any further and caved. I had email trails over 3 months.

More discussion here! viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5804&hilit=voice+control&start=20

However, as yours is still fresh, maybe you can make a difference - Good Luck!

Please keep us updated with your progress! I have already found my solution (when it comes out in the UK) the Anker Roav Viva.
Devilrex
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Devilrex »

Nissan has said, this is how it is supposed to be and they won’t be fixing it but they might re-activate it in newer cars.

I uploaded a video to YouTube so share this dangerous option that Nissan now calls handsfree, yes I’m using my hands so I’m not sure what part is handsfree

I have been illegally sold a car by deceipt, I have been patient to give Nissan time to resolve this matter but so far they have done nothing.
I think it maybe time to take back the faulty misleading car as I did not get what i paid for and Nissan is unable to give this to me.

https://youtu.be/zGki5QU4kbY
Last edited by Devilrex on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Devilrex, I would have liked to have seen this video but the quality is not that good - unreadable or blurry ! Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Devilrex

Post by Devilrex »

It is blurry on purpose as I do not wish to share my friends contact details with the world
lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

Very strange indeed and AGAIN this typical customer unfriendly behavior from Nissan which in the end comes down on the dealerships that have to cope with all the complaints without any support from Nissan itself.

But! What worked 2 years ago for the SD card issue may work again?
When I got my brand new J11 in February 2016 it still came with the old 2013 nav.
Several owners (myself included) reacted publicly on their FB wall on every new advertisement "and what about the old navigation maps?"
Quite soon Nissan contacted me to get my free newer 2014 mapversion at the dealer.

I would say; give it a try! At least the should be able to explain why they dropped the feature.
I do not encourage negative publicity but the arrogant attitude of Nissan does asks for stronger methods I guess.
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
Devilrex

Post by Devilrex »

Have done that lapalmeraie and have more or less been told by Nissan to F-off.
They said the car feature is turned off and we are not turning it back on, but we might turn it back on in the next model.
Makes no sense it’s active in previous model it says its active in this one but they turned it off for no real reason and might activate in the next one, hows that even make sense.

I made tons viceo while parked in the driveway, I had reading glasses on, it took around 30 seconds to contact a friend by this so called handsfree method where you have to use your hands, yes that doesn’t make sense either vutnthe truth it it doesn’t have hands free they simply selling it saying so they can cash in but also out peoples lives at danger.
My car is in for a check for these so called faults in a week and a bit, if it can not be resolve on my car I’ll be forced to take a full refund as this is far from the car I purchased.
I was tricked with advertisement and now, I am not prepared to risk my life to make a call via the method they say us new qq owners should do it!

lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

I wouldn't be happy neither!
I especially use this voice command on my J11a to send text messages while driving.
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
garythesnail

Post by garythesnail »

Just for information as nothing new yet, but I have been getting the same run around still of the same answers coming over and over:
1.the manual is generic ..
2. not fitted, never was ...
3. is your phone up to date ..
4. works on apple ..
and so on.
My answers:
1. I agree that the manual is generic, but I have the button matching the picture states 'where fitted' ... so my guess its fitted as I looked in other cars of lower specs and they just have the phone image, no voice image on them.
2. It was on the previous two models to my knowledge as I used them very regularly for phone call, test and even setting alarms whilst driving without looking away from the road once
3. The phone is up to date and I have tried with a brand new 2017 version of a phone I got for my kids with the latest Android on it and 3 others.
4. Tried on apple phones, even one of your techie/mechanics phones

So after having an answer for all of them, I am now being asked to take my car in for them to look at.
My prediction is that I will get it back with a 'theres no problem' as nothing is coming up on a screen when they plug it in.

Also, have a go at this:
You can get the voice command to work with these steps (totally illegal .. only use for giggles when parked with wheels removed and car is tied down so you dont get a ticket which I agree with .. In my opinion no one should touch their phone whilst the car is being driven or even in traffic standing still.)
1. have the phone connected via bluetooth
2. set the input to aux/bluetooth
3. on the phone press google or siri
4. now the system works as it should. you can talk and the phone works as it used to.

From this it seems to me that the button is failing to command the head unit to swap to bluetooth and order the phone to wake up. This is what is failing/missing for me.
Have a go when safe and report back as I have already told Nissan that there is lots of talk on this forum regarding this issue so its not an individual case.

If you let me know if your cars do similar or the same then I will forward this info with my car. Helpful if you can tell me with no personal stuff obviously your car spec/model, phone model and version of operating system (android - settings>about phone>android version) or iphone model

All the best, Gary
Previous Qashqai's ... all 1.5Dci:
J10 N-tec+ QQ+2 (UK 61 plate)
J11A N-tec+ (UK 64 plate)
Current car - J11B N-connecta (UK 67 plate)
Devilrex

Post by Devilrex »

Hey Gary, happy to spea, by private message where I can give you more info on my car.
I am in Australia, Nissan has also booked my car to be looked at to see what the fault it, even while knowing all other new series qashqai have this fault.

Yes if you stop at lights and switch the aux to Bluetooth you can get the system to partly work however in doing so as my phone is connected to Bluetooth and a distant from my face I need to scream at the phone so it can hear me, or illegally I can hold the phone to my face like normal use but we know that is also illegal.

I have spent 2 months with no handsfree, it is killing me, I need this feature it’s standard feature, and it certainly is in these cars as I would had walked the other direction If I had known in anyway that it did not have handsfree or partly working handsfree.

My partner had the previous model only diff really is steering wheel, his handsfree works perfect!

I made a video of how I am to make a handsfree call in my car, it is illegal but this is the only way, wow thanks Nissan, prides themselves on saftey yet happy to try encourage to endanger my life and others, yes they are telling customers this is how you use your handsfree!
Handsfree while using your hands really!

If you are on Facebook I can share you the links where I have complainers and posted, and you will see the robotics comments to contact customer care line.

I have made them very aware fix it or refund me and at this stage I am looking for solicitors.