Phone can’t dial out from voice button

ICE, Equipment, Options
Devilrex
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Devilrex »

An update...
My car was inspected for the faults, they have confirmed that the headset unit is faulty and I am told this is most likely why I am unable to use the button on the steering wheel to make a phone call.
It is also why the apps partly load then crash.
They also confirm the front sensor is faulty.
These will all be replaced in a few weeks as parts on back order, until then I still can not make a handsfree call.
Also the maps are at least 2yrs out of date and I am told this is the latest maps, this seems very odd to me being I purchased a dec 2017 car, surely I was buying 2017 maps included and not out dated maps.

it would seem if the head unit is at fault and the cause to stop outgoing handsfree calls then one would assume most of the same series around the world have the same problem and all need replacing!

If this does not resolve the matter I will be forced to return the car for a full refund as I have struggled for 9 weeks so far. And in the end, what I get is, a factory second repaired car.

I don’t think I’ll ever buy Nissan again, a massive mistake

Also Australia has just passed a stronger law where, it is now illegal to make a call inside your car with the engine running, at one point you could stop, park and put the brake on, now you must turn the car completely off.
How embarrassing to call a family member to say, hey I’ve just pulled over to call you, I’m 5mins away, be out the front waiting for me!

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Devilrex, thanks for your update. If the reason is a „Headset“ defect then it looks like Nissan have a rather large problem, parts, installation, cost etc...if that is the case. Welcome to the club, in Germany the Laws are exactly as you mentioned, please continue to keep us in the loop on your progress. So how can Nissan produce a vehicle which appears to be against the law ? - Dave :)

C7F9F7E3-2755-431E-988A-F54971C0746D.jpeg

This might be of interest : https://www.germanautolabs.com/blog/mob ... -in-europe
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I dont see Devilrex's issues being fully resolved. Ok, there may be faulty head units out there but I suspect the hands free problem will not be sorted. Same with the maps. All new Nissans are delivered with maps that are out of date, even the newest maps for purchase appear to be over 12 months old.
Devilrex, you say its now illegal to make a call with your engine running. Does that mean both holding the phone and hands free, or is it still legal to use handsfree? If its the former then it looks like Nissan just got in there before the new law was publicised properly.
Devilrex

Post by Devilrex »

Yes I have a feeling this will NOT resolve the issue but I am giving Nissan a chance to make good of the car before I pull the plug.

In Australia it has always been illegal to use a mobile phone in anyway such as holding the phone or pushing buttons, this includes while stuck in traffic or at lights.
Prior to the new law you could pull over with engine running/parked and make a call, now you are not permitted to do this, you must pull over, completely turn the car off, make your call finish up then drive away.

You can however receive a call hands free, single touch of a button in car, or you can make a handsfree call, single touch of a button, or use your voice to interact with your phone, you aren’t allowed to touch the phone at all.

Problem with my fault is, phone connects to Bluetooth as soon as I get into car, so the phone goes silent wanting to use the Bluetooth speaker but as the handsfree button doesn’t work it won’t enable to microphone on Bluetooth.
I can unpair bluetooth and then use my voice but have to yell at top of voice this then sounds disordered, and if I can get a call started the phone speaker sitting in my passenger seat is hard to hear.

I am told my car will be in repair in about 3-4 weeks, as parts on back order.
Although I am not confident this will fix it I am trying to remain a little positive.
This whole ordeal of such joy to buy a brand new car with all the features and so on, only to find I blew all my savings and got a faulty car and the ongoing depression of trying to fix something that is new. It’s really driving nails into my coffin so to speak
Devilrex

Post by Devilrex »

Most recent accident in the news in my state. Link below.
And Nissan’s screen method to make a call manually from the sceeen means my eyes off the road takes me around 30 seconds to do while parked, would take twice as long or more while driving.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-17/d ... bt/9457526
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just seen this „Hands Free E-Smoking“, it appears there are other dangers like phoning - Dave :D

http://dailym.ai/2ohsJ6B
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
garythesnail

Post by garythesnail »

Well, dissapointing news back from myself.
After the local Nissan dealership asked me to book the car in for the blutooth voice control issue to be looked at I got a call later stating that the officail line from Nissan (UK I am guessing at least) is that none of their cars are to have voice activation from now on.
To be fair to the technician, he was as befuddled by this as I was as he agreed that it is removing a safety feature and to use the phone book via the screen is a stupid and dangerous move. I believed in his ticked off manner and that it was not a show, if not he would be a damn good poker player!

Personally I think that the new head unit has had a rush job of firmware and the command from pressing/holding the button has been ommitted from the coding of the current firmware.
To this end, if anyone knows of a unit actually working on a 2017 version of ANY Nissan car, grab the firmware version from the service menu (hold setup, left right left on knob below) for comparison please.

Sorry all to be the latest bearer of crappy news.

Edit: Looks like the American Nissans do get it ... 2017 NissanConnect with Navigation - dated May 2017 (07)
pdf - https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/te ... manual.pdf
Previous Qashqai's ... all 1.5Dci:
J10 N-tec+ QQ+2 (UK 61 plate)
J11A N-tec+ (UK 64 plate)
Current car - J11B N-connecta (UK 67 plate)
Devilrex

Post by Devilrex »

Hey garythesnail,
I’m sorry to hear the bad news but I must ask, If this is the case that the car does not have a voice active button as Nissan tells you then why is it sold as having this, having an option to use this button to make a handsfree call.

Why does the manual tell us it has this button to make a handsfree call?
Why is all literature everywhere I see saying the same thing, this car has ‘handsfree’ and you use it by pushing the button on the steering wheel.

If this is not the method to use ‘handsfree’ then how do we make a handsfree call as clicking the screen 20 or 30 or 40 times can make a call but it is not at all handsfree, nor is it safe.

I am still waiting for the replacement head unit to arrive so they can fix this problem for me. This is what they told me, once the head unit is replaced as it is faulty it should fix the faulty handsfree connection as well.
I am sick with worry that it won’t work as from there on I would be put through the mincer to fight for a full refund.
Seriously none of it makes sense to me as, this is a Nissan fault but I have and my family have suffered so greatly since I thought it was good time to trade in my 2011 car for a new one, massive mistake.

My new car has done less than 1000kms and it is now 3 months old, it spends most of the time parked in the carport as I can not use the handsfree, it’s virtually useless to me as a lot of the time my driving is helping my elderly family get to medical appointments and shopping.
My usual method is I call them about 10mins before I arrive out the front of theirs.
I can’t do that now as I don’t have handsfree.
If I am travelling from the city it can vary from a 1hr to 2hr drive, I can’t guess and have them sitting out the front for half hour or so in the scorching hot sun or pouring rain.
So I have on a few occasional borrowed my partners car but this is not always possible.

My previous car 2011 had handsfree, my previous car before that 1997 had handsfree as well. I’d never for the life of me spend such big dollars for a top model car and say yeah sure no handsfree I’m cool with that, NOT!!!
I feel I am now suffering with depression over all of this, Nissan are aware of the fault yet not once have they said hey it’s going to take a month for the part to arrive, how about we loan you are portable handsfree until it does arrive?
I’m not sure how much more I can do, I am exhausted, now suffering depression from it all, I am broke as I spent all my savings on this so called wonderful car, and I feel a total fool for being sucked into buying this car and not one of the many other makes and models I could had purchased
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Devil,

This is not an answer but a bit here goes.

Your car spends most of its time in the carport because the button to active blue-tooth dialling (hands free) does not work? Seriously

How about you stop 10 mins up the road and make your phone call. I also refer you to the previous expletives.

Dude, you making a lot of incredibly crazy excuses, or your brain is as broken, the world did exist before hands free dialling was invented. Please please please, help yourself and your elderly family whist your car does not function correctly by using a bit of common sense.

Devilrex wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:00 am My new car has done less than 1000kms and it is now 3 months old, it spends most of the time parked in the carport as I can not use the handsfree, it’s virtually useless to me as a lot of the time my driving is helping my elderly family get to medical appointments and shopping.
My usual method is I call them about 10mins before I arrive out the front of theirs.
I can’t do that now as I don’t have handsfree.
If I am travelling from the city it can vary from a 1hr to 2hr drive, I can’t guess and have them sitting out the front for half hour or so in the scorching hot sun or pouring rain.
Devilrex

Post by Devilrex »

What a d mate. It’s illegal to pull over on the side of a toll road unless broken down.
It’s illegal to spent time fiddling at the head unit to make a call.

Use common sense, your got to be kidding me!
Common sense is to not do any of these things that are illegal and unsafe, hence me using another car while mine is faulty.
I love that your slander and cruel words are coming from someone who doesn’t even own a series 2 in fact owns a series 1

Mate when you have the same fault come back and comment, until then you should shut that filthy cruel mouth of yours!!!!!!

you are extremely nasty and have no clue how difficult it this is, instead of providing some helpful suggestions your method is to hammer the crap out of me and slander me, is this all for your own ‘feel good’ moment?

By the way I will complain all the hell I like, I purchased a brand new car with these features, I was told this car had these features, I need these features. I got sucked in I got a lemon. I will stop complaining once I get what I paid for.
If my faulty car bothers you then maybe you can find a way to fix it as well as support all the other people like me and help them too as I am NOT the only one suffering with these faults.

Thanks for the feel good comment you cruel person!