Phone can’t dial out from voice button

ICE, Equipment, Options
garythesnail
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by garythesnail »

Sorry it has taken so long, but I have received several emails from Nissan over the last couple of days about this.
In the aim to be fair, I have removed their name and replaced with S... and mine with garythesnail.

Grab a drink, its a bit of a doozy ..
Sent to NissanUK on Facebook 20th May:

Hello Nissan, any news on when the updated firmware for the head units (Nissan connect) is coming to give us back the voice control as the previous models had?
The last thing I heard officially was that it had been removed from all Nissan cars and the fact that it worked on previous models was by accident. I was also told that it was due to be fixed with an update to the firmware 'soon' back in February of 2018 when I first asked about this issue.
I ask as I hear more and more adverts for other manufacturers having voice control on vehicles that to be honest should be a lower spec to your models, but today I have heard an advert for the Ford Connect van having voice control but to date my almost top of the range Qashqai does not even though it was sold with it by both the button on the steering wheel with the voice activation image and the matching instruction in the manual (as pictured on the attached link to a forum regarding it).
Any advice on how this issue is moving along would be gratefully received by me and the many international Nissan Qashqai owners that are experinceing this issue apart from the USA as the models for the americans does have it apparently. Here is a link to one such forum: (link to this one)

~~~~
All the rest have been received today from dinnertime (past 13.00) onwards:

Good Afternoon Mr <garythesnail>

Thank you for contacting Nissan Customer Services in relation to voice control in your Nissan Qashqai.

I can confirm that I have spoken to our Nissan technical department who have confirmed that it is not a case of updating software in order to bring back the voice control but rather at this point in time it is not a feature that we are not currently adding to our vehicles. I can confirm that the owner’s manual has been updated to confirm this.

I understand that other manufactures are pushing this technology in their vehicles and it may be something that Nissan decide to bring back in the future. I can confirm that at this time Nissans focus is pioneering new technology into pro pilot driving and autonomous breaking and that this is our current focus.

I am sorry to disappoint you in relation to this update – I appreciate that it is a feature that you have previously enjoyed. I have passed your feedback and your Social Media comments to our design team and have highlighted that this is something that they may wish to bring back to the Qashqai in the future.

Kindest Regards
S... <removed for their privacy>

Case Manager

Directors Office
Customer Service

~~~~

Hello S...,

Thank you for your email that seems to unfortunately point to the fact that this part of the vehicles former technology has deemed to be removed. As using the screen to make a phone call is at the very least dangerous whilst driving, it makes me wonder if this is illegal or not.

Can you please verify that it is legal for me to use the phone in this way via the connect screen with the vehicle in motion as I know it is unsafe/illegal to touch my phone whilst the car has the engine running and the handbrake off but I have no idea about the legalities of looking away from teh road to press the screen multiple times to call someone. I am asking you as I am sure that you will be able to get a clearer and definitive answer from the legal team at Nissan and would appreciate the official standing regarding this actually is (if possible quoting any legal precedence needed).

When I ordered this car I was told that all of the technologies of the old were carried forwards to the new car but now I am told that this functionality has been removed. What was the reason for its removal please?

I appreciate your communication back to me regarding these questions.

Regards, <garythesnail>.

~~~~

Good Afternoon Mr <garythesnail>

Thank you for your email. I cannot provide you with a definitive answer into why the technology was removed from the current range of Qashqai’s it was an decision that was not taken lightly but one that was debated and reviewed by the Nissan design and technical team. Unfortunately I am unable to provide you with private confidential information in relation to their decision making process.

I understand that you wish to make calls whilst driving, as the ruling in regards to hands free driving has not come from Nissan – our legal team would point us back to the current legal legislation.

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones- ... ng-the-law

“it’s illegal to hold a phone or Sat Nav while driving or riding a motor vehicle. You must have hands-free access, such as:

A Bluetooth headset
Voice Command
A dashboard holder or mat
A windscreen mount
A built in Sat Nav

The device must not block your view of the road and traffic ahead.

You must stay in full control of your vehicle at all times. The police can stop you if they think you’re not in control because you’re distracted even by a fully hands free unit, and you can be prosecuted.”

There is no current legislation in regards to touching a Centre Console screen – From my own experience I am aware that to answer an incoming call it is just a one touch answer system. In regards to making a phone call this has more steps and buttons that need to be pressed however we would not recommend making a call whilst driving unless absolutely necessary. Talking on the phone whilst driving – whether via a Bluetooth unit or through the centre console system – can be distracting and take the drivers focus away from the roads and their surroundings.

Nissan would recommend in line with the Government legislation “it is far safer not to use any telephone while you are driving – find a safe place to stop first or use the voicemail facility and listen to messages later”

To conclude – it is not illegal to press the buttons on your centre console in order to make a phone call however you can be prosecuted if the police believe that you do not have full control of the vehicle – the same way as if you were amending the Sat Nav or working through the radio stations.

Kind regards
S...

~~~~

Hello again S...,
Ok, I understand that things get removed from cars and whilst we (the end user) don't get much of a say in these decisions generally they are for a good reason (safety, cost, etc).
The copied and pasted legal from the gov.uk website whilst helpful also puts the situation at the discretion of any police officers present as to the control of the car.
What I am having a problem with then is if they chose to remove the voice command function, why leave the ability to access the phonebook/call lists from the phone on the screen at all via the head unit (connect system). Would it not have been better to remove bluetooth completely rather than having this possibly illegal enticement literally at your fingertips? you could argue the same for 'The car can do over 100mph, we don't make you do it' but that would be a bit flippant and I am sure you wouldn't.

As the car was sold to me with the promise of 'Yes, it does have all of the technologies of the old.' and the manual that come with the car has the image and steps for the voice control with the matching image on the button on the steering wheel, where does this leave us? I feel as though I have been cheated at the very least as I did use the voice commend on both of the previous Qashqais in addition to calling from my phonebook, for tasks that made my life easier by being able to have messages read out and the ability to respond back to them without touching nothing more than the button on the wheel and setting alarms and reminders for my medications on many occasions.

As you may tell, this issue is going back to the first day I drove my new Qashqai and discovering it which was reported to the dealer on the second, it is important to me and I do feel that I have been let down by the different promises and reasons that I have been told over the last 4 months.

I do appreciate you trying to help me with this issue and as I have never complained about any of my cars before can I ask you for advice regarding my next step regarding this grievance. Is the next step for me the ombudsman (www.themotorombudsman.org) or is there another body that I should report this to?

I shall forward on this information to the Qashqai Owners forum which has threads ( one example: viewtopic.php?t=6067 ) on this issue from owners round the globe to update them all as to the official line to try and stop people asking you the same questions as I have.

Regards, <garythesnail>.

So, officially they removed it for their own reasons, have supposedly removed it from the current manuals and there is no intention of it coming back.

Well, to say I am a bit tit'sed off is an understatement.
Sorry to be the bearer of crappy news .. I'll get me coat on the way out!
Previous Qashqai's ... all 1.5Dci:
J10 N-tec+ QQ+2 (UK 61 plate)
J11A N-tec+ (UK 64 plate)
Current car - J11B N-connecta (UK 67 plate)

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I like this part.

"Unfortunately I am unable to provide you with private confidential information in relation to their decision making process."

So what they are saying is that the engineers had a private chat & made an undocumented decision on behalf of the company.
I think I can smell something that is bovine in nature. Maybe you should reply with a meme ;)

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gary, many thanks for these very well documented facts between yourself and NCS. The comments from NCS on the omission of „Hands Free“ seem to be honest but very negative. As I have mentioned I have told the „Boss“ of our Dealership that a J11B is now a „No Go“ for us until this is corrected. I got a lot of „Negatives“ from NCS Germany recently on this subject and in the end the phone was slammed down by a Quality Customer Service Person - Customer Service !. Do you have any objections if I send your facts to NCS Germany ?. Many Thanks for the Write Up interesting to say the least and hopefully this could help Sue in AU in her Battle - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Devilrex
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Devilrex »

I agree thank you Gary, this is very helpful however Nissan australia don’t seem to hear their customers.
I ended up in an argument with them on the phone yesterday as they called me about the faulting apps yet again, yes just one of the few features on this car that are faulty, again they told me, my phone cable was faulty and my new phone was faulty, well that was the end of me, did you not hear me?

I video the Samsung faulting, I also used partners Samsung model over mine it faulted, today used my brothers iPhone and video all, all faulted.
I also reminded them of the lies from the dealers trickery to get me to buy the car, illegal to do and now they have me as a sucker in customer they refuse to let me go.
While videoing the phones crashing with apps my brother had 2 calls, the screen showed the call, I went to push button on streering wheel to answer, the call did not come through Bluetooth into speakers, phone did not pick up by button on steering wheel, he had to call his caller back.
Pretty impressive stuff for a brand new car huh.

I emailed a few dealers to ask about buying a new qq series 2 n-tec.
This is what they told me, in short (it’s only part of their response) and due to Nissan’s Bs privately I can’t say what dealers said this but I sure as hell will provide it to a judge in a court room

This is exactly what my salesman said when buying as well, so maybe they are educated in lying to customers.

***As for the navigation system , It is available as standard equipment on our mis spec ST-L and top of the line TI. Bluetooth Handsfree phone system is standard across the Qashqai range with steering wheel mounted controls.***

***In regards to Satellite navigation, hands free phone calls and hands free located on the steering wheel. The Qashqai comes with all three of those and depending on what model you are looking at it come with a panoramic sun roof that is fixed.***
***Once on the phone using Bluetooth, you can use your buttons on the steering wheel to call or hangup.***
Gel

Post by Gel »

In same vein, this is like the long standing omission on Nissan's part to allow your radio presets to be scrolled through from steering wheel; another safety issue causing you to have to go to the screen.
Easily remedied if NISSAN had the will.

As functionality to answer calls from steering wheel on X Trail seems to work, will they remove here too :?: ;
can be no logic surely to have on some models, not others.

garythesnail, you could flag up issue to Honest John who seems to have had it in for the QQ for many years despite many e mails from me, that he should be supporting UK manufacturers.
When people ask for a new car recommendation he never mentions the QQ :(
He also writes in the Telegraph, so this issue may warrant a mention there too.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/hones ... ny-column/
letters@honestjohn.co.uk

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice ... nest-john/
honestadvice@telegraph.co.uk
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
garythesnail

Post by garythesnail »

Daewar wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:42 pm
I laughed so hard at that meme! Great find and scarily accurate!
DaveBerlin wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:46 am Do you have any objections if I send your facts to NCS Germany ?.
No problem at all. I have been putting my history here for information and if you wish to use it elsewhere, I have no objection. Personally I belive that if a piece of technology has been removed, even if it was there by accident as claimed to me by Nissan (I cant recall if the previous J10 and J11A had the image on the steering wheels but I do think I recall it being in the manuals as this was the first car with it so I must have got the idea to try the button somewhere!) then wouldnt it be prudent to give this data (in the form of a changelog, a simple addition/removal list) to the sales people so they can give actual specific facts rather then the guesstimates that seems to be happening to all of us at least when we are ordering cars and asking questions.
So you could ask, does the new car have (insert technology/feature) of the old and get a definitive answer.

I do like the Qashqai and have for a few years. I enjoy the drive as it seems to fit my driving style well and even the 1.5 diesel I have had for the last 6+ years only really is left wanting at overtaking on high speed roads but I am ok with that, its what I expect from the little engine in a fairly large sized car. What I object to is the same as everyone else, the half truths/passing the buck and ignorance which could all be avoided with the passing of accurate information.
Gel wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:47 am In same vein, this is like the long standing omission on Nissan's part to allow your radio presets to be scrolled through from steering wheel; another safety issue causing you to have to go to the screen.
Gel, you CAN do that from the steering wheel but there is some works to it. You have to have the media option turned on in the screen selector of the options (the one that shows the speed/signs/miles/economy...) and then with that screen chosen with the buttons on the wheel whilst driving it does give you the option of going through the preset stations by pressing up or down I think it is along with changing the source by pressing the ok in the middle, all without touching the head unit.
garythesnail

Post by garythesnail »

garythesnail wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:07 pm
Gel wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:47 am In same vein, this is like the long standing omission on Nissan's part to allow your radio presets to be scrolled through from steering wheel; another safety issue causing you to have to go to the screen.
Gel, you CAN do that from the steering wheel but there is some works to it. You have to have the media option turned on in the screen selector of the options (the one that shows the speed/signs/miles/economy...) and then with that screen chosen with the buttons on the wheel whilst driving it does give you the option of going through the preset stations by pressing up or down I think it is along with changing the source by pressing the ok in the middle, all without touching the head unit.
I was nearly right last night.
1. make sure the audio screen is turned on in the dashboard mini screen choices (ticked)
2. whilst driving, use the arrow keys on the left side of the wheel to change the mini dashboard to the audio page
3. the ok button will change the source now and the two buttons below the 'd pad' thing (with ok in the middle) that have the rasied profile are the choices back (left) and next (right). On the radio these go through the presets and on th rest (cd, bluetooth, aux) they play the previous/next track.

Hope this helps you.
Gel

Post by Gel »

Tks- will have a fettle at weekend.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
garythesnail

Post by garythesnail »

Gel wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:25 pm Tks- will have a fettle at weekend.
I have just had a play and you dont have to use the media screen at all!
Just use the previous /next buttons below the 'd pad' and if you are on the radio, it goes through the presets, on cd/usb a quick press goes to the previous/next track and if you hold for a second you skip through the track in the direction being held .. well, thats what I get for typing from memory ... the wrong info, maybe I should sell Nissans from memory !
Gel

Post by Gel »

Not on mine unfortunately; scrolling via steering wheel I get just get the next available Radio Station found, not my
1 - 12 favourites.
I only use the DAB band incidentally.