Wipers slow on every setting

ICE, Equipment, Options
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

A fault I've not found with Google or on Qashqai forums developed this week. The wipers are slow, whether on auto, normal or fast, little or no change in speed. On auto previously, they could be pretty fast, as on switched "fast". The OBD reader says "no codes", the spindles seem quite free, so I am at a loss. The fact that searching online brings up no reference to this problem is surprising, so what is left to check? Running with the arms lifted makes no difference.
Thanks for any suggestions - except contacting Nissan dealer ;)
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.

Thrall

Post by Thrall »

Update:
Yesterday, the wipers stopped working altogether for the first ten minutes of a journey, only washers working. Then, although they were switched off, they swept once, and were on slow thereafter.
Back home, I found the radio code, then tried a reboot of the ECU by disconnecting the battery for three minutes; no change.
Is the next step to check the connections on the wiper motor itself or am I missing something?
BTW, if disconnecting the battery, check online how to enter the radio code, it wasn't obvious, at least to me... ;)
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

Yet another update, but potentially helpful:
With no wipers at all yesterday, the situation was getting critical. Fuses checked, next step the motor. The wiper arms were very reluctant in removal despite a decent puller, but eventually gave way. Immediately the motor and linkage was removed, rusty water poured out, probably a tablespoonful. There was 2mm. sideways movement on the motor shaft, so that is where the water crept in. After letting all water out, I squirted some WD40 into the breather and reassembled. Back to normal for now, but a new motor will be ordered on fleabay.de (LHD) ASAP. Design fault? Amazingly many Qashqai wiper motors for sale, both in UK and Germany; coincidence??
Bob d

Post by Bob d »

Thank you for sharing this, from the lack of responses it looks like you are a pioneer in the field of faulty J10 windscreen wiper motors, well done! Hopefully others will find this useful in the future.
J11 QQ N-Tec+ 1.5 DCi Magnetic Red
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

Thanks Bob, I am no pioneer, others have shared their experiences with this motor online, but not with the slowing down issue instead of total stop. The past week here has been coolish, ranging from -6C to -9C and I suspect this brought the problem up sooner as a lump of ice in the motor does not help sparkling swipes of the blades.
In my mind, the question is whether Nissan recognised the design fault and did something to prevent this happening to the probable millions buying J11 or J11facelift vehicles. The design on mine was over six years old when new, and no obvious changes made to correct this problem...
gmcc1066
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by gmcc1066 »

My J10 wipers stopped last night mid sweep while on motorway- luckily just few Mtrs from Applegreens.
Got the car back last night, stripped out the scuttle panel linkages and motor.
Shaft was very hard to rotate with a socket set, but had some partial turns where it was relatively free.
Took plastic lid off to see what was going on as trying to get WD 40 down shaft made no difference. Appeared to be a lot of play on shaft least 2mm.
Packed worm screw and cogs with new grease as the pink original grease had settle to one side with cog assembly quite dry.
Put the nut back on spline and worked it back and forwards until gear wheels loosened up.
Put back on car just plugged into the electrics and after replaced 30amp green fuse, started to work again.
Reassembled the linkages, bought some spare fuses, ordered £30 replacement wiper motor off ebay just in case.
Nevertheless back in the road again. Strangely enough every car breakers had been taking about 10 calls a day in last week for replacement Qashqai wiper motors! Not a spare one in the country!!
Very unusual- clearly a design fault exasserbated by the snow etc.
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

I have been pondering this "water in the wiper motor" problem. It seems to me that rain/snow which enters through the heater breather hole on the J10, at least on the LHD version, could collect on the linkage rods between the motor and wiper spindles, so if the car is parked on a slight camber, gravity takes the moisture down the rods to the motor spindle. A new motor is relatively waterproof, but immediately slight wear occurs, there is a 1-2mm gap to receive moisture. Would a hose clip on the rod not help water drip harmlessly down and prevent it reaching the motor? When I put in the new motor ordered from onlinecarparts for GBP 104, I will definitely try this mod. in an attempt to prevent premature failure again.
BTW, Nissan J10 motor nr. seems to be 28800JD000 (RHD), 28800JD900 (LHD), no responsibility taken... ;)
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

Having replaced the motor successfully, I saw that water descending the windscreen squeezes past the plastic cover and drips onto the motor. Now to try to unobviously seal the plastic to windscreen in the area above the motor, perhaps with a little clear silicon.