Towbar / Electrics

ICE, Equipment, Options
mwilde
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mwilde »

I have a 1.6 NISSAN QASHQAI TEKNA DIG-T which is still under its 3 year warranty and is on a PCP deal. I intend handing it back once the 3 years is up.

I am looking at what style of towbar to get. I know I need 13 pin electrics.

I can see I can get universal aftermarket wiring or vehicle specific. As far as I understand universal is sliced into the current wires with a junction box, vehicle specific is wired into the car without cutting any wires.

I want to know if I do it the universal way, will it effect my warranty? Will it cause me issues when handing the car back?

Will it effect the parking sensors / camera?

Thank you

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Seriously, Pay the extra for the car specific kit.

I watched the guys fitting my QQ towbar electrics (specific to my QQ) and it still looked like a load of spaghetti. Boxes, wires, connectors all over the place. The 13 pin plug had to be all wired up as the cable has to be fed through a smallish hole in the bodywork. You still had to run a wire to the battery.

Yes the warranty will be affected if you splice into the wiring. You wont loose all your warranty, just the areas that you will be modifying and probably items that attach to that system. If Nissan or anyone else tells you otherwise they are talking s**t.

The universal kit may not have all the features as the car specific kit may have. It may not disable the revers sensors, or it may not tell the car your towing and not adjust the driving profile, thats if the QQ does such a thing. I had a Honda CRV & that for sure detected when towing and would alter the computer to detect snaking etc.
mwilde wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:53 pm I have a 1.6 NISSAN QASHQAI TEKNA DIG-T which is still under its 3 year warranty and is on a PCP deal. I intend handing it back once the 3 years is up.

I am looking at what style of towbar to get. I know I need 13 pin electrics.

I can see I can get universal aftermarket wiring or vehicle specific. As far as I understand universal is sliced into the current wires with a junction box, vehicle specific is wired into the car without cutting any wires.

I want to know if I do it the universal way, will it effect my warranty? Will it cause me issues when handing the car back?

Will it effect the parking sensors / camera?

Thank you
mwilde
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mwilde »

Thank you. I thought that is what people would say. I have just booked in for the proper kit. Cheers.
switchback

Post by switchback »

My genuine Nissan fitted tow bar does not disable the rear parking sensors so I have to press the button to turn them off, or put up with the annoying bleep. This button has been removed from the latest version of the QQ.

They might have to narrow the angle of the sensors(laptop job) so they don't pick up the tow ball, so check this when you have it fitted. Mine was OK until I put the plastic tow ball cover on and then the sensors picked it up.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I'm glad you mentioned this.

I ordered a removable towbar for my QQ. On the odd occasion when I have left the bar on without towing, when reversing the sensors think there is an object in the way.
switchback wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:44 pm My genuine Nissan fitted tow bar does not disable the rear parking sensors so I have to press the button to turn them off, or put up with the annoying bleep. This button has been removed from the latest version of the QQ.

They might have to narrow the angle of the sensors(laptop job) so they don't pick up the tow ball, so check this when you have it fitted. Mine was OK until I put the plastic tow ball cover on and then the sensors picked it up.