Hill assist, not so much assisting.

ICE, Equipment, Options
ABliss
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ABliss »

Hi guys,

Another problem with the qashqai. It's now the hill assist. When it's active and on a hill, you have to revs its tits off to get the auto hold to disconnect. Anyone have this issue? It's intermittent.

It's a 15 plate, 1.2 dig-t.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

ABliss, take a look at this Post it might help you - Dave ;)

viewtopic.php?t=4493&start=10beate
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I have no problems with auto hold, but it does need a steep slope for it to activate, much steeper than I would have thought! If you lift the clutch up slowly the brake wants to stay on. The trick for me is to give lots of throttle and let the clutch off as fast as you dare without stalling. The system is not the best, by a long shot .
ABliss wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:37 pm Hi guys,

Another problem with the qashqai. It's now the hill assist. When it's active and on a hill, you have to revs its tits off to get the auto hold to disconnect. Anyone have this issue? It's intermittent.

It's a 15 plate, 1.2 dig-t.

Savros

Post by Savros »

This is because it's not exactly hill assist ...instead of the brakes disengaging with rpm's (hence throttle) it is set on a timer. Therefore once u release the brake u need to allow for second prior releasing the clutch otherwise u end up spinning the front wheels. In throttle hill assist the brakes wont disengage on their own in qq they do so try it youself to get used of the timing ! I believe this was rectified in the latest version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
switchback

Post by switchback »

The timer will hold for a certain time but the brakes release before that time if you pull away with the correct revs and clutch action..................You DO NOT have to wait for the timer for the brakes to release. I find that it works well with practice.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Savros

Post by Savros »

Don't think so unless yours is automatic ....chk page 5-65 of you manual. Hill start assist have max holding time of 2 seconds after which the vehicle will begin to roll back and hill start will stop operating. Has nothing to do with revs and throttle . You may think it is (as I did because of past experience with another car) because from releasing the brake to engage gear and push throttle takes u less than 2 seconds, so when u are hearing the engine revving up the 2 second pass and hill start disengage as per timer. Next time after brake release count 1 prior releasing clutch and you won't rev as high. It's a crappy system but better than nothing ....!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ABliss

Post by ABliss »

OK, the situation seems a lot stranger than originally thought.

When you put it in gear at a hill, hill start assist engaged, and bring the clutch up to engage the gear whilst a bit of throttle it does nothing. My wife says there's no biting point at all. Then the car rolls back when the hill assist releases.

It sounds more like a gear box or clutch issue than a hill assist issue. I haven't tried myself, but a friend and my wife has said the same thing....

switchback

Post by switchback »

Savros wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:16 pm Don't think so unless yours is automatic ....chk page 5-65 of you manual. Hill start assist have max holding time of 2 seconds after which the vehicle will begin to roll back and hill start will stop operating.
Not an auto.................Hill start assist have MAX holding time of 2 seconds after which the vehicle will begin to roll back and hill start will stop operating.

Emphasis on the MAX, as in from zero to 2 seconds MAX before releasing.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
switchback

Post by switchback »

ABliss wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:49 am

When you put it in gear at a hill, hill start assist engaged, and bring the clutch up to engage the gear whilst a bit of throttle it does nothing. My wife says there's no biting point at all. Then the car rolls back when the hill assist releases.
There must be a biting point somewhere or you would never be able to pull away. More practice needed. Be aware that once you get to the biting point with the correct revs, don't move your feet at all as the electronic handbrake is slower to release than a manual one.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.