Aftermarket stereo, with cam support, wired to cam button, now car wont start! -- FIXED!

ICE, Equipment, Options
philicibine
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by philicibine »

Hi

So i tried to fit an aftermarket head unit to my 2013 j10. It was all going fine. I bought a camera retention adapter and everything else needed to do a good job.

The problem started when i tried to connect the camera button to the reverse signal wire on the unit. I connected the wrong wire, and I think 12v went through the black (with silver stripe) wires on the back of the button. :shock:

Can anyone tell me what they do or where they go? the camera button has pink, red, and then these two black with silver wires.

Can anyone also suggest how to start testing to see what I have fried? My car wont start at all. The dash lights come on, the keys unlock it. It doesnt show any faults on my obd reader. I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance! Great forum!
Last edited by philicibine on Fri May 11, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc »

Just a suggestion but try disconnecting the battery for 5 mins then reconnect and see if she’ll start. Had similar problem when Halfords fitted a cd autochanger to my brand new at the time Citroen xsara Picasso. Formally advised them I would be holding them liable.anyway after an evening with a bottle of red plonk thought what the heck , disconnected the battery left it, then reconnected it and she fired up all problems disappeared.. had a duvet day the day after before I drove her again though😎
2016 1.6 xtronic tekna diesel 130 bhp
1998 4.6 v8 Range Rover petrol auto 225 bhp
2019 Skoda Citigo 1.0 sel green tech 5 dr 75 bhp
2009 Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol sport 2 door 138bhp
philicibine

Post by philicibine »

Have tried that. thanks for the suggestion though.

She is currently at the auto electricians as im stumped. I tried disconnecting the battery. I also strapped the two main leads together for 15 mins. Both to no effect. Checked every fuse.

My mechanic did notice the NATS light staying on. Its supposed to flash 6 times and then go off if the key is registered. Mine was just coming on and staying on. So I got an auto locksmith out to reprogram the keys to the car. He programmed the keys fine enough.. and his machine was talking to the car.. it appeared to save the codes. But then on trying the key it locked the car down. Red NATS light still just coming on.

So now as i said it is at the auto electrician. Will report back as to what they find. (I hope not too much melted wire and modules :-/ )
philicibine

Post by philicibine »

We are now into the 4th day of it being with the electrician :/

I have heard he has got it started.. but that is all. I think part of the issue now is my getting the keys reprogrammed. It didnt save the new codes properly so by the time it got to the electrician its showing lockdown error codes. It wasnt before but immobilizer light was on.

This is going to be expensive. :,(
philicibine

Post by philicibine »

So I finally have the car back. The BCM was fried. They reprogrammed the keys (again) to the new bcm and now the central locking works. The only other thing to fix is the aircon module which was also fried.

So now, the stereo is in (and its awesome!) and I have the cameras working 90% which look loads better on a bigger screen. The last 10% not working is pushing the camera button to show front facing when driving into a space. I would be interested to know how anyone else has dealt with this.

I was thinking about wiring an extra switch to a 12v live and then into the reverse wire on the head unit along with the reverse wire from the camera button. Does anyone know if this will work? Hoping it wont cause my reverse lights to come on when i switch it. Would be much easier if there was a modded camera button available online.
philicibine

Post by philicibine »

here a little video i uploaded to twitter with it working. Will upload another showing the cameras working later.
philicibine

Post by philicibine »

So here is a video of the cameras all working.

Notice the front camera is now working too. It needed to be activated in the software on the stereo.
dani87

Post by dani87 »

How much was that set mate?
philicibine

Post by philicibine »

Just under £300 for the unit and then another £60 for the wiring adapters.
Highlea

Post by Highlea »

Hello

I have a 2011 NTec+ and would like to fit an Android unit.
Please can you tell me the unit you fitted, the wiring harnesses and how you wired the Camera button.

Thanks
Colin