cannot lock Qashqi 54 reg

ICE, Equipment, Options
Qashqai_King
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Qashqai_King »

Hello,

I have a 54 reg Qashqi. Recently I found that I am unable to lock the car using the remote keyfob or the central locking console button (it used to work without any issues).

So I've tried both keys standing outside the car, all doors closed and windows wound up. not keys inside the car. Key fob does not lock the car.
Change batteries on the keyfobs - makes no difference
Manually locking the drivers side door only locks the drivers side door, all other doors don't have a physical lock.
Sitting inside the car with doors closed you can lock all doors using the central locking button next to the handbrake. But when I open the drivers side door to get out and them close the door and lock using the physical key it only locks the driverside door- all other doors are remain unlocked including the boot.

Tried things like:
putting the key in the ignition and taking it out 6+ times within 10s
Looking for a central locking fuse - couldn't find it
disconnecting battery to reset system
key in ignition and pressing break + clutch
Key in door and holding both buttons on keyfob down

All of these have not made any difference. Worrying thing is that you can get into the car release the hand brake and push the car away...

I saw a similar issue posted recently but that resolved itself without any intervention which doesn't fill me with much confidence.

If anyone can suggest a way forward or if i should just take it to the garage?

Thanks

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

If you're in a breakdown service, call them out.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
davewuf
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by davewuf »

i have the same problem with my 2010 qashqai,to be honest i bought the car with the problem thinking it would be an easy fix,it’s turned out to be anything but,i’ve done everything you have with the same results,the fellow i bought it off told me the problem happened after the snow at the beginning of the year and the door was frozen shut,i have seen other owners on the net with the same problem after it’s been snowing but there is never a follow up answer,the internet is getting so frustrating everything seems to point you to ebay and if you do get a reply it’s if you’ve got breakdown cover get them out,not helpful,on a couple of forums they have mentioned the bcm which controls a lot of systems,everything else works on my car except the central locking and i don’t want to go down the road of replacing that because it would be expensive and it’s a cost i cannot afford,for now i will keep searching the internet and if i come up with anything i will message you.
Qashqai_King

Post by Qashqai_King »

Sorry to hear you have the same issue. I'm going to be taking the car to my local garage for them to have a go at fixing it. As it stands the car cannot be locked which I'm not entirely happy with and I suspect neither is my insurance company
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

How long did you disconnect the battery for to reset the system? Needs to be at least 30 minutes, and some people say up to 24 hours, before it resets the ECU.

Although from the sound of it, I would guess it's something physically blocking one of the other doors, have you had a close look at all the locking mechanisms. Maybe if one is blocked it prevents them all from locking. (Our house front door has one key but it locks in 4 separate places. Couldn't lock it at all one day and checked the lock/key mechanism. Failed to spot a piece of lego that had somehow got into the hole in the frame that the lowest lock slides into - it was preventing all 4 from sliding in as they're connected)
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Qashqai_King

Post by Qashqai_King »

30 mins for the battery disconnect.

From a quick look at each of the locking mechanisms in all the doors there is nothing obvious that could be obstructing the lock.

The central locking does work when you're inside the car with all door closed. It locks and opens with the central console button but as soon as you open the driver side door to get out of the car all doors unlock and do not relock with the physical key.

Thank you for the advice it is rather an unusual problem - i'm hoping it's a key programming issue (very hopefully)
Qashqai_King

Post by Qashqai_King »

OK my local garage the car for a day and they can't fix it. They believe it's the keys that are the problem and they fear messing with the key fob my stop it starting the car so they've suggested I take it to Nissan. I've booked it in to the local Nissan dealer for Monday. Will feed back on how that goes.
davewuf
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by davewuf »

thanks for the update,it will be nice to know what the problem is and help out a lot of other people.
Qashqai_King

Post by Qashqai_King »

It's the ignition barrel. Apparently the switch is not working properly and doesn't recognise that the key has been withdrawn from the lock. Will need a new lock. Quoted as £430 to replace, fit and ensure keys are working.

I do remember that the keys used to stick in the lock and would be a pain to remove - doing a search online took me to https://thecarkeyman.co.uk/nissan-ignit ... r-service/

I'm inclined to just get the work down at the Nissan garage and have them guarantee the work
Qashqai_King

Post by Qashqai_King »

Ignition barrel has been replaced at Nissan garage - all working now but it did cost £430. All due to a part within the barrel wearing down due to putting the key in and out of the ignition :(