Anyone managed to get Google Maps Send To Car working?

ICE, Equipment, Options
psboot
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by psboot »

Hello all,

I have not had any luck getting the "Send to Car" feature working on Google maps.

I have set everything up in my google account, and from Google maps I can click the option to send to my car.

Then in my car I connect the Nissan Connect up to my phone, and can navigate to "Online Search" - > "Send to Car", but it is always empty!!

I have tried re-adding my details in Google, I have tried using different things for the "Account ID" in the google settings (I've tried my you plus Nissan login name (in both upper and lower case), and my VIN number

Anyone got any ideas?

paplane

Post by paplane »

I recall there's a difference between the American google site (.com) and the UK one (.co.uk) on which you set up the send to car service.

Mine works great and I use it all the time.

Did you set up google via this www.google.co.uk/maps/sendtocar or www.google.com/maps/sendtocar

If you compare the list of manufacturers to choose from between the two they're different. Bet it'll work if you try the UK site.
psboot

Post by psboot »

Thanks paplane - interesting!

Both of those links take me to the same page (but the url stays as .com or .co.uk) - I have tried adding the car from the uk page, so I will test it again!
(also using 'Send to car' from the maps.google.co.uk for consistency)
paplane

Post by paplane »

I set mine up about 4 years ago and cannot for the life of me remember the details but I believe there was definately an issue with the difference between the uk and usa sites. It was something like Nissan USA being a different company to Nissan UK, so if you were using the usa maps site it was sending the map address to Nissan USA. It might explain why it seems to transmit OK on the computer but the car doesn't show it.

I'm sure someone more learned will be along shortly to help you (or someone who has a better memory than me).

Incidentally, I recently swapped my QQ for a shiny new one. I changed the car details over on the youplus nissan website and when I went to use the send to car function again in the new car, all the old addresses I'd previously sent to the old car were there from before.
Ged63

Post by Ged63 »

A long time since I did this and I remember it was a struggle.
In the end, what worked for me was to set up a new gmail address and do everything from there. For some reason, Nissan Connect didn’t like my old address and once I’d set everything up anew, it all worked perfectly.

I have recently bought a new Qashqai and all of my send to car addresses are showing on that without having to make any changes.

Hope this helps.
1.6 DIG-T Tekna+ In ink blue
psboot

Post by psboot »

paplane - a million thanks - that was the trick!
I had to be on the UK site.

This whole process is very poorly documented. And I think until recently Google used to redirect everything to .co.uk if you had uk account, so it might be that this problem didn't crop up so often.
paplane

Post by paplane »

I think its just the initial send to car setup thats country sensitive. If youve set it up so google sends its info to nissan uk then you can use the .com or .co.uk site from there on.

I think - I'm no expert in these things.

:D
psboot

Post by psboot »

For anyone else stumbling across this thread in search of a solution:

To get Google Maps Send to Car working with Nissan Connect in the UK (for Qashqai, X-Trail etc), you need a You+ Nissan account (https://youplus.nissan.co.uk/GB/en/YouPlus.html) then you add your car using the Google uk settings page (www.google.co.uk/maps/sendtocar) using your YouPlus login email address as the "Account ID".

Then when you find a location on google maps on your desktop you can click the "Send to Your Phone" option on the left, then choose "Car" then choose the car you setup above.
Boschebol
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Boschebol »

Once an address has been send it stays in the menu and can't find out how to remove this.
Does anyone know how to remove them from the menu?