Automatic Hand BrakeFailure

ICE, Equipment, Options
PPV
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by PPV »

I have a Jan 2014 Manual Qashqai and today the Automatic Hand Brake failed , extremely fortunate as no-one was hurt just knocked down a wall and my car dented. I have read other people have had this problem and was wondering how common this is!
Last edited by PPV on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gel

Post by Gel »

Extremely uncommon to my recollection.
Assume you don't take sensible precaution of leaving your car in gear as a backstop?
ie reverse or first if manual.

You should add some more details to your forum signature showing model type/ engine etc & add your location.

If it was common you'd be sure there'd have been a recall, but obviously disconcerting; are you certain the red
E brake light was on before you left?
There's a remote possibility you may have cancelled it by mistake; there's a way of disabling it which
is handy for garages who want to move by hand around workshop.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

PPV, your problem has been experienced before if you take a look at the attachment it is a long one you will see the facts that hopefully will inform you :
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1937&p=21365&hilit ... ure#p21355

As Gel mentioned it is safer to stick the QQ in Gear, I have got into this habit here after these posts appeared and the Missus was taught here to do it, so I did get it in the ear when I moved out here.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
PPV

Post by PPV »

Thank you very useful to see that it has been recognised on this forum as well as the article I have read which people had highlighted the problem. I think Gel is right in saying don’t rely on the automatic hand brake leave it in gear.