Buzz from Bose sound system

ICE, Equipment, Options
Yannis
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Yannis »

I have a 2017 facelift 1.5 Tekna with the Bose sound system and have noticed an annoying buzz from the front speakers (the ones on the dashboard along the front windscreen). There is no noise when the sound system is switched off, but it happens switched on, even when the volume is muted. It makes the same noise whether on radio or aux. I have unplugged and re-plugged all the cables in the amp (beneath the drivers seat) and the sub-woofer (in the boot), but the noise remains. It is quite annoying; it sounds like a bee buzzing against the windscreen and is audible even driving at high speeds. It seems to get louder when driving than it is when stationary. Any suggestions/diagnosis would be welcome!

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Sorry, can’t help with the main problem but sounds like your speed sensitive audio volume is working - so that’s a positive
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

As it's under Guarantee, why try & fix yourself?
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I bought the car second hand, will the warranty still cover me? How long is the warranty on these? Thanks
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

The car comes in the UK with a 3 year auto-transferable warranty.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
duncho

Post by duncho »

Buzz sound will most likely occur because of “earth loop” which occurs most of the time when audio ground is connected to power distribution ground or the ground is not connected at all and audio input wire is not shielded. Try to make a phone call (without paired phone to Nissan Connect) and while the phone is on the call, move the phone around Connect, dashboard up to the seat where BOSE amplifier is connected to. If live audio input wire is not shielded, you will hear that typical GSM noise of transmitted signal from your handy to BTS. I suggest to use some old Nokia phone so that phone transmits on lower GSM band (900MHz) or disable 3G if possible.
That is the most basic check you could do if you have no oscilloscope or knowledge in electrics or audio.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Wow very useful thanks again duncho!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

So I took it to the dealer who replaced that speaker, but still no luck. The buzz is still there, in that speaker alone, and only when the car is moving. When I switch the radio system off the buzz stops until the radio auto-restarts a few moments later. Aagh! The dealer doesn’t seem to know what to do, and what is more he claims he cannot even hear the noise!! The buzz noise is only in that one speaker, it doesn’t matter wether the volume is muted or on loud, and is not affected by the L/R balance of F/R fade. It silences when the car is stationary (even with the engine running) but starts to buzz (a constant, steady, non-stop buzz like a bee is stuck in the speaker) when the car starts to drive. Any other suggestions that I can throw at the dealer???
Cunners78
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Cunners78 »

Did you manage to get this resolved? I have exactly the same problem on an X-Trail!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Hi, I am afraid not...
The dealer said that there is a “known issue” with some of the Qashqai’s that a speaker wire is trapped internally behind the dashboard, however this was booked in and checked and apparently that’s not the case with mine.

I am now trying to get them to replace the head unit, as it seems that is the next thing it could be however the dealer is reluctant to do it as he says it’s too expensive to swap out in case it doesn’t resolve it! So I am in stale mate at the moment.
As a temporary measure they have simply disconnected the tweeter causing the noise, which actually is quite a relief compared to the constant noise. Now it’s just a matter of fighting with the dealer to accept replacing the head unit and seeing if that does the job.