Parking sensors , Radiator fan and air con issues

ICE, Equipment, Options
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

The fan rattle was recently reported here. Typically rattling on spin up/down which is a bearing issue. The chap here got it done on his breakdown insurance and in the region of £500.....shocking I thought. I'd be in there with the spanners as I think a fan with shroud is about £150 max?

The aircon can be topped up but obviously there exists an underlying problem. Reading the honestjohn link above is an eye opener. No leak? Its either a leak or a problem with other system components...compressor or something else? These systems should hold a vacuum and fluid can be added to detect leaks responding to UV light.

The original Freon gas R12 etc refrigerant went out on claims of ozone layer decay but I didn't know the EU got its sticky (sicky) fingers in the subject. This is the same as fridge/freezer systems but on wheels...would you like to keep topping them up?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

jredford
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by jredford »

I managed to remove the fan assembly this morning while leaving the radiator in place which means I can return the coolant I bought in preparation (one upside I guess).

From what I've been reading online it sounds like the bearings are worn and the solution is to replace the fan assembly. Here's a video of me wobbling the fan - is it fixable or is a replacement the only options?

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Its fixable most likely, if the bearings can be found.... rather similar to skateboard wheel bearings I imagine, Not sure if they are ball or roller though. I assume its a brush motor and might not survive disassembly etc. Repairing it was likely not a desired option. Repair procedure = replace.

I assume (again) its a simple DC motor...nothing added for speed control?

Most of whats online is not OEM and what Nissan sells is probably well over priced. If the blades + surround are ok and come off easily find a new motor somewhere?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Gregs575
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gregs575 »

I have stripped out my fan as it was extremely noisy to find the bearings have gone. Nissan are charging £200 + VAT, ridiculous when the car has only done 42000 miles and 6 months out of 3 year warranty
Ben6279

Post by Ben6279 »

Hi, have discovered my radiator fan has seemingly suffered this same fate. Tried extracting it but can't seem to lift it upwards. Have removed the lower securing screws either side plus the one in the middle securing a support bracket. It seems loose and moves around I just cannot get it to lift. It seems the radiator outlet pipe on the lower near side is in the way?

Has anyone been successful in a repair or a replace?
2015 (65) 1.2l Dig T Ink Blue Tekna. Extra's yet to come, give me a chance.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Ben6279 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:57 pm Hi, have discovered my radiator fan has seemingly suffered this same fate. Tried extracting it but can't seem to lift it upwards. Have removed the lower securing screws either side plus the one in the middle securing a support bracket. It seems loose and moves around I just cannot get it to lift. It seems the radiator outlet pipe on the lower near side is in the way?

Has anyone been successful in a repair or a replace?
Check attached Nissan QQ document for J11...page CO-47. May not be 100% correct
CO+-+ENGINE+COOLING+SYSTEM.pdf
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 191 times
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Ben6279

Post by Ben6279 »

calnorth wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:05 pm Check attached Nissan QQ document for J11...page CO-47. May not be 100% correct
That's great thanks. Having found some Russian videos on YouTube I think I needed to remove the radiator core support to be able to remove the fan without draining down as others here have said they've achieved. Their videos showed some barbaric attempts at repairing but now I know I should be able to replace myself I'm awaiting to see how much my dad who works for ECP can get me one for. Have seen original Valeo replacement for as little as £125.
2015 (65) 1.2l Dig T Ink Blue Tekna. Extra's yet to come, give me a chance.
naminajayasinghe

Post by naminajayasinghe »

Hi all, I know this is late to discuss but I'm posting my attempt to repair experience on our family car radiator fan (qashqai 2018 1.2 turbo) for future references. I'm from Sri Lanka and we have a UK imported QQ and had the radiator fan issue after 47000 km, thats almost 30000 miles. It began with a rattle and the fan unit was shaking violently. The Nissan dealer in Sri Lanka asked about 350GBP to import one because we had QQ model in here since 2018. All it cost for us to get the job done was around 100GBP.
I like to share the dismantling process but I'm afraid I don't have any photos. Please note that this might only be relevant for the HR12DDT engine.
After removing the radiator fan from the car;
1. You need to locate the screw nut on the back side of the fan which is not visible to outside, but you can see the location from the plastic cover.
2. You have to drill your fan unit to unscrew the nut with perfect alignment and diameter with a required tool to put inside. ( It did not made the fan loose alignment because of weight unbalance)
3. Take out the nut and you will see from the back of your unit there are two clips locked with the back cover to the motor. Carefully pull sideways to unhinge the motor from the back cover.
4. Now you have the front fan with the motor. As I have monitored, The violent shaking occurs not from the fan razor bearings but from the shaft Which runs through the motor which you can see from the front of the fan.
5. On the back end of the motor, there's a part inside which rotates like an eye ball. I have no idea what that is because I have no knowledge mechanical engineering. If you shake the fan you might able to see the shaft is shaking on x axis. That's what caused the rattling.
6. What we did was, we managed to place a small razor bearing between the shaft and that eyeball opening. So far no rattling or any peculiar noises.
I'm not a qualified mechanic or do not have any certification on mechanical engineering so I'm not responsible for any causes you might get if you follow my steps. Sorry for my terrible English as it's my second language.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Thanks for the info and interest. Here in UK is mainly a throw away society. Long gone are the days of self repairs like your experience.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta