Emergency Breaking

ICE, Equipment, Options
Maarten
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Maarten »

Hi, I am new to the forum having just bought a 2017 1.6 Tekna. There was one previous owner which was Nissan who decided to turn absolutely everything off. I think I have most things back on but I am struggling with the emergency braking. I have turned it on in the menus but I am not getting any warnings when he traffic has slowed or stopped ahead of me. Unfortunately I didn’t get to test drive this particular car (it was a good few miles away with the same dealer) but did manage to get it working quite easily in the one I did test drive. I wonder if I have everything switched on as I should or if the car has a fault. Any help would be appreciated as the garage is a 50mile round trip for me.

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

If you have a large cardboard box, put it in the road and try run it over. Car should stop. If u hit it, then there is a good chance the emergency braking does not work.

Not tried it myself, but in theory, it should work.
Maarten wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:11 pm Hi, I am new to the forum having just bought a 2017 1.6 Tekna. There was one previous owner which was Nissan who decided to turn absolutely everything off. I think I have most things back on but I am struggling with the emergency braking. I have turned it on in the menus but I am not getting any warnings when he traffic has slowed or stopped ahead of me. Unfortunately I didn’t get to test drive this particular car (it was a good few miles away with the same dealer) but did manage to get it working quite easily in the one I did test drive. I wonder if I have everything switched on as I should or if the car has a fault. Any help would be appreciated as the garage is a 50mile round trip for me.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Maarten, if you feel you have a fault with the Braking System your Dealer is there with your Guarantee so let them check it out or at least advise you, Braking is an absolute need and we have had this system on our J11A operate 3 times now and to me it is a Big +.
Take a look at this attachment on the J11B on how it should function, it might help you might not, but get it sorted for Your Safety - Dave 😉

4BC0FB8D-B12E-442B-B820-DA499BD17A26.jpeg

31AA5952-C1B5-46F0-8227-CE44F9244FF1.jpeg

8CD5DF6D-9D39-4B75-9121-F5019C30D75A.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

That’s great help and advice from you both. I was going to get the wife to stand in the road to see if it would work but I’m not sure she would agree 😀. I am 99% sure there must be a fault as I have the box ticked as shown in the diagram but have never had a warning when I have tried to get it to sound. I will run it back over to Nissan when I get a chance.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Maarten, hold on ! is the Wife insured ? - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Good thinking Dave, I will sort the insurance before I sort the car.
Steamer45

Post by Steamer45 »

Hi Maarten
I have the same model as you, same year same engine.
My experience was the opposite to you; on three occasions driving down an empty road with two pedestrians on the pavement at least 6ft from the car it decided to do an emergency stop. There was no warning just the brakes being slammed on.
It was very unnerving and after the third experience switched it off and booked it in.
They had it all day and downloaded new software from Nissan but to no avail.
Apparently Nissan says there is a bad batch of radars in the Qashqai .
My dealer Wessex had to get a new radar from Holland that had a white spot on the casing which identified an upgraded unit.
Seems to be okay at the moment but I still don’t trust it.
Hope that helps
Regards Roger.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

In my 2.25 years of ownership I never had the emergency braking actually brake. The warning flashed up occasionally but you must have to be very close to the hazard for the brakes to be activated.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Gloucester,

It all depends on your closing speed before it the braking sequence starts. You can get just a warning, light braking or full-on braking effect.

I've had a warning come on many times doing over 50mph, always when a car in front is turning off the road and i'm driving around them. Must happen 1 or 2 times a month.

You quite right though, no matter what speed you're doing, you're going to be relatively close to the car in front.
gloucester wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:43 pm In my 2.25 years of ownership I never had the emergency braking actually brake. The warning flashed up occasionally but you must have to be very close to the hazard for the brakes to be activated.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Yes - I realise it's the closing speed - but I must drive too defensively.

A pedestrian triggered the ones on my Ignis...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)