Key Fob not working

ICE, Equipment, Options
sachie
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by sachie »

Hi all,

Good to meet you all. I am hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction on what might be causing my central locking issue.

Everything was working fine until one day both my fobs stopped locking/unlocking the car remotely. I can lock the drivers door using the key but that only locks the driver door and not the others. I can lock the other doors by pressing the central locking button whilst in the car.

I have replaced the batteries in both fobs but that didn't help. Yesterday I found an article about pressing the lock button and inserting the key 6 times to program the key. It didn't seem like it did anything (hazards didn't flash) but for some reason the fobs worked for a few hours overnight and this morning the same issue with the fobs not working.

So I'm stumped on what could be causing the issue. I don't think it's a fuse issue as otherwise the central locking wouldn't work at all. I read somewhere that it might be worth disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds to give it a proper reboot in case something has malfunctioned but not sure. What would you suggest?

Also every so on when pressing the clutch there is a click/clunk noise. It sounds like something is catching but can't see what it might be for the life of me. Any tips on that one as well would really be appreciated.

My car is a 2009 Quashqai N-TEC +2 if that helps?

Thanks so much in advance,
Sachie

sachie

Post by sachie »

I found this post: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5996&p=52928&hilit=key+fob#p52928

Suggestion is to spray some lube into the ignition barrel as there is a sensor that could be stuck which will stop the car being locked using the key fob. I will give that a go and see if it helps. Does make sense as I had an issue a few weeks ago with the key getting stuck in the barrel and used a small file to take the edge which was catching on the key.
sachie

Post by sachie »

OK so I tried some silicone lubricant but that didn't do the trick. Also noticed that the steering lock won't engage so sounds like it's all related? Anyone have any tips? Is it fixable or do I need to replace the whole ignition barrel? Then I guess that changes the door lock as well? :(
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Check at

Lots of useful videos here :D
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
sachie

Post by sachie »

Hi all,

If I replaced the ignition switch could that fix it or do you think it’s a mechanical issue?

Any help would really be appreciated
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Not many owners of QQ+2 on here. The car is 10 years old so maybe it’s time to either live with your issue or take it to a reputable auto electrician to sort out. Maybe buy yourself a Heynes Manual to investigate it yourself.
ascullino
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by ascullino »

I bought a QQ (68 plate ) which is 6 months old and within a day I too found that the key fob wouldn't lock the car intermittently ... everyone suggests changing the battery in the fob but neither key worked, and as I say, the keys and batteries are only 6 months old.

I then noticed that on removing the key from the ignition barrel occasionally the radio continued to play when it normally switches off. ( but as a new car I wasn't sure if this was correct as the radio did stop when the door was opened)

This became the signal that the remote wouldn't lock the doors.

I then noticed that the steering lock didn't engage either, there is clearly some switch which was not operating within the ignition barrel itself, and links to the car not being in the correct mode to be locked.

So I can now recognise a mechanical 'click' which should sound on the key removal if i don't hear it I re-insert the key and remove it swiftly until the click and then the remote locking works properly.

I assume some lubrication may help though haven't tried this just yet.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

Surely it's a warranty issue?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

ascullino wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:56 pm I bought a QQ (68 plate ) which is 6 months old and within a day I too found that the key fob wouldn't lock the car intermittently ... everyone suggests changing the battery in the fob but neither key worked, and as I say, the keys and batteries are only 6 months old.

I then noticed that on removing the key from the ignition barrel occasionally the radio continued to play when it normally switches off. ( but as a new car I wasn't sure if this was correct as the radio did stop when the door was opened)

This became the signal that the remote wouldn't lock the doors.

I then noticed that the steering lock didn't engage either, there is clearly some switch which was not operating within the ignition barrel itself, and links to the car not being in the correct mode to be locked.

So I can now recognise a mechanical 'click' which should sound on the key removal if i don't hear it I re-insert the key and remove it swiftly until the click and then the remote locking works properly.

I assume some lubrication may help though haven't tried this just yet.
Sounds like a warranty issue, don’t mess with it, take it back
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Bullfighter

Post by Bullfighter »

Hi all
Just purchased a 2010 Qq 15dci n-tec, when I looked it over both the keys worked perfectly (been caught out before) cleaning it out and airing the interior with all the doors open a few days later the central locking wouldn’t work with the keys, after searching the internet came across this site and read other owners similar problems,worked thru some of the advice,also tested the key at work.
Finally traced the fault to the micro switch in the ignition barrel, I removed the cowlings and traced the loom back to a connector which I disconnected and tested,the switch was faulty.whilst testing the loom I found that when I shorted the 2 plug terminals the hazards flash so I switched the ignition to auxiliary and operated the key fob and they worked and are still working a week later. Next project is swapping the seats for heated leather and wiring them in will let you know how I get on.