New Battery fitted at dealership- disappointing Guarantee

ICE, Equipment, Options
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Battery Change:

As my QQ will be 5 years old in May, allied to fact that it does quite a few short journeys,
my original Nissan/ Fiamm battery has been sluggish to start in recent cold weather.

Price quoted by dealership (£105 fitted), was reasonably competitive for a Stop/Start battery,
but the Guarantee was disappointing ie just 1 year, as with all Nissan parts.
The battery fitted shows no branding at all, as I look at battery bay from front. :x

If I'd bought elsewhere, or fitted myself I'd have got 5 years on a Varta one for example.
Others contemplating battery change may want to consider this!
No BCM reprogramming was necessary, as the battery capacity was identical to one fitted at manufacture;
if it's different, dealer has to reprogramme the BCM to accommodate the changes necessary to alternator output
etc. Independent garages may have required software; tyre & battery shops don't.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Was in kwik fit getting 3 new tyres and a young lady had herQQ battery checked and they replaced hers for £115 her car was still under 3yrs old came with a 3 year warrenty
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Gel,

I have written about this in other posts. Chances are your battery performance has degraded, that's why you're changing it after all. Its capacity will have dropped and will require a greater voltage to fully charge it. This condition will overcharge your new battery unless the Battery Management knows about the new one fitted. If you leave it like this your new battery will fail early.

I'm no expert on this, but one would assume the BCM does not need re-programming, but its counters need to be reset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_management_system

A quick quote from the above link, focus on the bottom 3 lines.
Additionally, a BMS may calculate values based on the above items, such as:

Maximum charge current as a charge current limit (CCL)
Maximum discharge current as a discharge current limit (DCL)
Energy [kWh] delivered since last charge or charge cycle
Internal impedance of a cell (to determine open circuit voltage)
Charge [Ah] delivered or stored (sometimes this feature is called Coulomb counter)
Total energy delivered since first use
Total operating time since first use
Total number of cycles

Gel wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:56 am
Battery Change:

No BCM reprogramming was necessary, as the battery capacity was identical to one fitted at manufacture;
if it's different, dealer has to reprogramme the BCM to accommodate the changes necessary to alternator output
etc. Independent garages may have required software; tyre & battery shops don't.
Gel

Post by Gel »

I specifically asked at dealers if reprogramming was required and they said not!
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Had my FIAMM battery replaced 2 years ago under warranty and the new one has no visible branding whatsoever when you look at it...

However, if you have a close look down the back you can see Nissan on there somewhere and it turns out it's a Mitsubishi manufactured battery.

If it looks like this... don't worry. It's a genuine Nissan, and has served me well for 2 years now, still stop/starting well etc.

IMAG1164.jpg

Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

It would be interesting to get a second opinion as maybe different cars have different systems, some may need resetting & maybe others don't.

Does anyone have access to technical manuals for the QQ?
Gel wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:07 pm I specifically asked at dealers if reprogramming was required and they said not!
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I wonder whether that's why Stop/Start rarely worked on my car even after a new battery - if they didn't reset it after putting the new battery in (main dealer - warranty)
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Gel

Post by Gel »

My new battery looks like image posted by Chris; I pulled off small leaflet shown at front of battery,
but it's just multi lingual safety leaflet.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gel, exactly what I found this morning - a Safety Leaflet. Just out of interest our 2nd Battery has a different Spec to Chris’s one : ours has CUWQ Regular EN/720 CCA on an adhesive sticker - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

The Nissan logo is on the far side of the battery (furthest away on the photo), quite low down on that side so you have to peer down to see it.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T